First you tube sailing channel(s) ? - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Re: First you tube sailing channel(s) ?

Here is a sample of a location review. This one is Chaffeys Lock historic lock station on the Rideau Canal.

I don't have any rules, but I do have some guidelines. One is to include some boating footage in the area (sailing if I can) to give folks an impression of the nature of the boating in the area, this one is nearly %50 local sailing before arriving at the lock station. Definitely some shots of available docking as well as the locks as I think that is of primary interest to boaters. I got lucky on this one and there happened to be a free outdoor folk festival to close the video off with. Even at 12 minutes, there is still a ton of useful information missing (most of which can be found in the cruising guide).

2400 views, which, I think is above average for my location reviews.

MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Just curious - at what stage do you plan the cut-aways (I assume these are the ancillary shots of dolphins jumping, halyards slapping, etc.)? Are they planned at all?
Great question. Its things like cutaways that make a good video and easier to edit. My 1 shot videos generally dont have any cutaways whatsoever. This makes them easy to make but theres scripted 'virtual' cutaways still there.

It takes quite a bit of learning, and then remembering to get them.

For others who dont know what a cutaway is (example): If you are talking to camera and point to sea and say "see those dolphins jumping? Thats because theyre looking for fish..." At the moment of "jumping" you need to insert a closeup shot of dolphins jumping.
Or: "Look at this screw Im holding" You see some small object in your hand, but then you cutaway to a close up shot of it.
Or: In an interview you take shots of the interviewer reacting to the interviewee (or their hands etc) so in edit you can edit out irrelevant stuff by cutting away from the interviewee to a shot of something else and back again.
Obviously thats difficult footage to get so you might use old footage.
Generally you need to use footage shot on the day so the light is correct and the colour temp, quality and technical aspects are the same.

Yes they are planned insomuch as you know when doing any interview you need to get them. Do them at the end of the interview, or when setting up.
Every setup you shoot you must remember to get the cutaways at the end before moving the setup. Otherwise the camera has moved position and you'll forget.
So the beginner wants to write them in the script AND do them anyway.
So my scripts will always use 4 shots: Establishing Est, Wideshot WS, Closeup CU, and extreme closeup (and cutaway) ECU. Theres lots more shots but these are the scripted ones I use.. the others are made up on the job.

So a script might look like:
Est: Boat; Presenter on foredeck
WS: Presenter
CU: Presenters face
ECU: Object in hand or being referred to.

These are also edit points so any time you need to cut something from the CU you just go to the WS or the Est, or a ECU cutaway.

As I said before its very difficult to remember to do cutaways because you're so excited about finishing your main shot and you forget.
Every good director will tell you you never can have too many cutaways. Editors will tell you that you should be able to tell the story with just cutaways.

In my 1 shot videos there are no cutaways! It saves me a lot of time.. but there are 'virtual' cutaways pre-scripted in each video. i.e. I know what we need to have a close up of so I will hold it in shot longer. It certainly doesnt work as well as proper editing, but Im not bothered to do all that... id prefer to drink rum.

Last thing to remember: each time you do shoot something you could use in a later video remember to mark it, note it, file it. Those jumping dolphins you must be able to find again!
mbianka and Mikael like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-09-2019 at 09:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
willyd (01-09-2019)
post #103 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
What was your audio arrangement? There was very little wind noise.
Its just the camera mic.
Rehearsal
I speak loudly to get over most noise.
luck.
mbianka and Arcb like this.

Sea Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

post #104 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Great question. Its things like cutaways that make a good video and easier to edit. My 1 shot videos generally dont have any cutaways whatsoever. This makes them easy to make but theres scripted 'virtual' cutaways still there.

Last thing to remember: each time you do shoot something you could use in a later video remember to mark it, note it, file it. Those jumping dolphins you must be able to find again!
FYI a gal I worked with in television had recently just finished her first novel called THE CUTAWAY. A murder mystery based on just such a editing technique used in the TV biz.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #105 of 108 Old 01-12-2019
Gemini 105Mc

So with this thread in mind, I broke out a camera on New Years day and recorded some video of the day. Even though we have four iPhones, a GoPro, a Sony point and shoot and a DJI Phantom 3, this video was shot with one iPhone 7. Unfortunately, the audio on the phone leaves something to be desired. And I will be looking into a fix for that.

I edited it using Pinnacle Studio HD. I am a little rusty using the software so it probably could be done in shorter time, but it took about four hours to edit the video, add transitions, add text, add some background music and edit the original audio. All that resulted in 7 minutes of video, not sure I would want to make a full time job of it.........

I also learned a bit about optimum video resolution and data rates for YouTube that I didn't know before.
Mikael likes this.
post #106 of 108 Old 01-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Can we start another thread (workshop) where you teach us (and we give feedback to each other) how to make great sailing videos?

I'm almost certain I want to give it a shot when we receive our new boat next summer and it would be really good to learn more about it before that.

There's a lot of theory to it, of course, but I also think it would be nice to have a "study group" where we could show videos to each other and get feedback on what's working and what's not.

Just an idea.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #107 of 108 Old 01-13-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Can we start another thread (workshop) where you teach us (and we give feedback to each other) how to make great sailing videos?

Sure. Give me a day and I'll start a thread in Videos/Cruising Videos and we can all contribute.

Mark

Sea Life

post #108 of 108 Old 01-13-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
OK Made a thread

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruis...post2051576466

Mark

Sea Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in