SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Clear Hatch Lenses (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/327328-clear-hatch-lenses.html)

Barquito 12-12-2018 12:04 AM

Clear Hatch Lenses

I am going to replace the plastic on my main hatch cover. I will replace the plastic on the other two hatches in the future. They have a slight brown tint. I really want as much light as possible in the boat. Would it be a mistake to put clear plastic on all the hatches? Would the light be too harsh in the boat? Make the cabin too hot?

RegisteredUser 12-12-2018 05:53 AM

Re: Clear Hatch Lenses

Prob just fine for where you are.
Tinting could always be added later

SV Siren 12-12-2018 06:54 AM

I think that you would be just fine. You can get cast acrylic with UV block and tinted if you like from any good plastics supplier. I think that you find the interior much brighter. Just open the hatch right now(unless it's snowing :) ) and you'll have a pretty good idea of how bright it will be with clear plastic lenses.

If you find it getting too hot after that, you can always add a nice Sunbrella cover to the hatches that snaps on and can still be used with the hatch open. That's what I have for my hatches. It helps keep the boat cooler when not using it, and also protects the plastic from weathering and oxidation.

SeaStar58 12-12-2018 08:00 AM

If going with clear yes indeed get some level of UV protection and a light tint to protect the fabrics and other interior surfaces from Sun Fading/Bleaching.

pdqaltair 12-12-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaStar58 (Post 2051569334)
If going with clear yes indeed get some level of UV protection and a light tint to protect the fabrics and other interior surfaces from Sun Fading/Bleaching.

Or use external covers.

Markwesti 12-12-2018 08:36 PM

I really don't think there is anything wrong with that hatch , I have seen quite a few that look just like that . You could dress it up a bit with some teak slats going from for to aft , and a nice canvas cover .

SeaStar58 12-12-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 2051569470)
Or use external covers.

Yes and you can make them quite decorative. Just make a pocket for some zip cord in the hem to keep them stretched on tight. I just helped our sail maker sew up some for his boat along with matching covers for the cockpit cushions, sails and helm station which really dressed his boat up nicely.

Florida Sunshine does eat things up year round.

Barquito 12-12-2018 11:56 PM

Clear acrylic with a Sunbrella cover to keep things cool seems reasonable. But, WOW, I didn't realize how expensive cast acrylic can be!

paulinnanaimo 12-13-2018 12:22 AM

I'm curious and confused. You are going to replace the tinted hatch with a clear one so that more light will enter. But you will cover the clear hatch so that no light gets in. Do I understand your intentions correctly?

SV Siren 12-13-2018 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barquito (Post 2051569496)
Clear acrylic with a Sunbrella cover to keep things cool seems reasonable. But, WOW, I didn't realize how expensive cast acrylic can be!

Yup. That stuff is pricey, but worth it in the long term. I had one done in .75" with flamed smooth edges 40"x40" with a UV filter and it was around $330 US. This thing is heavy.