Clear Hatch Lenses - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-12-2018 Thread Starter
Barquito

Clear Hatch Lenses

I am going to replace the plastic on my main hatch cover. I will replace the plastic on the other two hatches in the future. They have a slight brown tint. I really want as much light as possible in the boat. Would it be a mistake to put clear plastic on all the hatches? Would the light be too harsh in the boat? Make the cabin too hot?

Valiant 32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-12-2018

Re: Clear Hatch Lenses

Prob just fine for where you are.
Tinting could always be added later
post #3 of 19 Old 12-12-2018
1968 Columbia 50

I think that you would be just fine. You can get cast acrylic with UV block and tinted if you like from any good plastics supplier. I think that you find the interior much brighter. Just open the hatch right now(unless it's snowing ) and you'll have a pretty good idea of how bright it will be with clear plastic lenses.

If you find it getting too hot after that, you can always add a nice Sunbrella cover to the hatches that snaps on and can still be used with the hatch open. That's what I have for my hatches. It helps keep the boat cooler when not using it, and also protects the plastic from weathering and oxidation.
Barquito likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

post #4 of 19 Old 12-12-2018

If going with clear yes indeed get some level of UV protection and a light tint to protect the fabrics and other interior surfaces from Sun Fading/Bleaching.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
If going with clear yes indeed get some level of UV protection and a light tint to protect the fabrics and other interior surfaces from Sun Fading/Bleaching.
Or use external covers.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #6 of 19 Old 12-12-2018

I really don't think there is anything wrong with that hatch , I have seen quite a few that look just like that . You could dress it up a bit with some teak slats going from for to aft , and a nice canvas cover .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #7 of 19 Old 12-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Or use external covers.
Yes and you can make them quite decorative. Just make a pocket for some zip cord in the hem to keep them stretched on tight. I just helped our sail maker sew up some for his boat along with matching covers for the cockpit cushions, sails and helm station which really dressed his boat up nicely.

Florida Sunshine does eat things up year round.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-13-2018 Thread Starter
Barquito

Clear acrylic with a Sunbrella cover to keep things cool seems reasonable. But, WOW, I didn't realize how expensive cast acrylic can be!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Valiant 32
post #9 of 19 Old 12-13-2018

I'm curious and confused. You are going to replace the tinted hatch with a clear one so that more light will enter. But you will cover the clear hatch so that no light gets in. Do I understand your intentions correctly?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-13-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Clear acrylic with a Sunbrella cover to keep things cool seems reasonable. But, WOW, I didn't realize how expensive cast acrylic can be!
Yup. That stuff is pricey, but worth it in the long term. I had one done in .75" with flamed smooth edges 40"x40" with a UV filter and it was around $330 US. This thing is heavy.

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in