Securing companionway? - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-22-2018 Thread Starter

Securing companionway?

I am trying to find the best way to secure my companionway while underway. I sail a 1990 Catalina 28. I want to be able to access down below from on deck or below, but not get swamped if we take a wave. I mostly stick to the SF Bay and Delta, but I plan to venture down the coast to Pillar Point or Monterey this summer. Anyone know a good method? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-22-2018
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

Re: Securing companionway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleysail View Post
I am trying to find the best way to secure my companionway while underway. I sail a 1990 Catalina 28. I want to be able to access down below from on deck or below, but not get swamped if we take a wave. I mostly stick to the SF Bay and Delta, but I plan to venture down the coast to Pillar Point or Monterey this summer. Anyone know a good method? Thank you.
Customarily companionway boards in place and hatch latched but not locked works. Alot of folks rig heavy lucite for a top board so any swing out screens can be seen. b ut depending on how you rig screens may not be a problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to oysterman23 For This Useful Post:
Valleysail (12-22-2018)
post #3 of 18 Old 12-22-2018
Barquito

If you want a robust off-shore setup you need to be able to secure the hatchboards without the need for the hatch lid. You could add some sort of spring loaded barrel bolt that has a handle on both sides of the board. Here is a picture of a nice one that I stole off another site.

Valiant 32
The Following User Says Thank You to Barquito For This Useful Post:
Valleysail (12-22-2018)

post #4 of 18 Old 12-22-2018

I mounted two barrel slide bolts on my bottom hatch board. ( I have 3 boards) That locks in from the inside, but you can reach it from the cockpit when the two top boards are out.

Just for the picture ---> https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-bar...CABEgKb0vD_BwE

I suppose I could do the same for the 2nd board and 3rd board.

However, I just drilled a small hole in the top board on a downward angle toward the cockpit so that minimal water gets in ( actually none ever has) and mounted small cleats just below the bottom board. That allows me to tie a knot on one end of the line and lock the boards down from inside or out.
The Following User Says Thank You to tempest For This Useful Post:
Valleysail (12-22-2018)
post #5 of 18 Old 12-23-2018

Valleysail, is your hull number 100? (If so, I know that boat!). Pillar Point (Half Moon Bay) is a great one day sail from the Bay. Santa Cruz is a nice second day and Monterrey a third. You can do Pillar - Monterrey in a single shot, but in your 28 it will be an overnight. Don't sweat the hatch boards. Catalina makes them pretty tight fitting so they don't easily come out. If you are still concerned about the lower board, I drilled a hole through the inside fiberglass and a little "divot" in the the board and use one of those spring locking pins. This is really a requirement for the ISAF Offshore Racing Special Regulations and not required for coastal sailing. (To be compliant, you also need a way of securing the sliding hatch).

Barquito, that is a pretty cool way of securing a hatch board! How thick is the board? mine are only 1/2 thick. Will it work on mine?

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeB For This Useful Post:
Valleysail (12-23-2018)
post #6 of 18 Old 12-23-2018 Thread Starter

George B, I am hull 31. I am just trying to make the boat as safe as I can. I have to make sure the Admiral has a good time and feels as comfortable as possible. She is considering driving home while I bring the boat back up the coast.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-23-2018

I use a bungee from steps to boards. Have 3 boards total
1 board is looped bungee.
2 boards is not looped.
Quick, secure and no fumbling or construction
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
Valleysail (12-23-2018)
post #8 of 18 Old 12-23-2018

In practice, I think you will find your fear of being swamped unnecessary, don't project your fears on the admiral or she'll never be able to relax and enjoy herself.

"Just call me TB"
The Following User Says Thank You to capttb For This Useful Post:
Valleysail (12-23-2018)
post #9 of 18 Old 12-23-2018
Master Mariner

I absolutely hate hatch boards, so I made a door out of Starboard for our companionway in an afternoon. It just slides into the groove for the hatch boards and is about as strong as hatch boards. A barrel bolt at the inside top keeps it closed when needed at sea and one at the inside bottom adds security when we aren't aboard.
Attached Thumbnails
companionway door inside.jpg   companionway door outside.jpg   companionway door.JPG  
contrarian and Valleysail like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 12-23-2018 at 02:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
Valleysail (12-23-2018)
post #10 of 18 Old 12-23-2018
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Valleysail, is your hull number 100? (If so, I know that boat!). Pillar Point (Half Moon Bay) is a great one day sail from the Bay. Santa Cruz is a nice second day and Monterrey a third. You can do Pillar - Monterrey in a single shot, but in your 28 it will be an overnight. Don't sweat the hatch boards. Catalina makes them pretty tight fitting so they don't easily come out. If you are still concerned about the lower board, I drilled a hole through the inside fiberglass and a little "divot" in the the board and use one of those spring locking pins. This is really a requirement for the ISAF Offshore Racing Special Regulations and not required for coastal sailing. (To be compliant, you also need a way of securing the sliding hatch).

Barquito, that is a pretty cool way of securing a hatch board! How thick is the board? mine are only 1/2 thick. Will it work on mine?
I just copied a picture from another boat.

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in