The Dark Side - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 130 Old 01-12-2019 Thread Starter

Re: The Dark Side

The Flemingís are currently lower on the list for now. Although beautiful much lighter than the other boats and donít seem as set up for long passages. For stationary living in some respects a better set up.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 130 Old 01-13-2019

I know the day will come when we have to consider a powerboat or a land based home again. Sitting on the St. Lucie River making our boat suitable for living aboard I have seen a few offshore power cats motor by that intrigue me but don't know enough about them or who even makes them.

With the sailing catamaran explosion of recent years I think it is logical to assume that the selection of power cats suitable for long distance will expand offering a better selection.

Chartering target boats is a great idea. Will be interesting to hear about your experience. I have a weird reaction whenever I get on a powerboat offshore. I fall asleep.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #73 of 130 Old 01-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Do the routine fluid changes now. Kind of like doing it. Also gets you to look things over which is a good thing. Donít mind washing the non slid and doing the stainless. We play music and chat while enjoying the sun. Then go for a dip, shower and drinks in the cockpit. Itís a low key nice day. One of the pleasures of cruising is those maintenance days. Leaves you with a sense of accomplishment a nd a pretty boat. Just donít like rebuilding heads. I have trouble being waited on. Even if I was mega rich wouldnít like help dressing or help doing other basic activities of daily living. Hell even like doing dishes. Just donít tell my wife. Whenever the boat is hauled it gets a professional buff and wax. Itís hard to do from the dinghy.
Talking with the wife. Sheís thinking be wise to charter a Kadey-Krogen or Nordhavn for week or two. Any thoughts on who would be good to use in the New England area?
I can't agree more with this post. Cruising sailors DO like to DO things and it gives them a sense of accomplishment. Usually there is no schedule to meet. Some things are better done by others these days...prep and painting the bottom and waxing or work that requires specialty tools and very esoteric knowledge as some diesel work might. General cleaning is only satisfying when the job is done and so having less to clean is better which is why a big house, yard, apartment of boat does not appeal to me. I think a boat's use of space is very clever. We only use our aft cabin to sleep in so it doesn't need to consume lots of real estate. The main salon with its galley and "nav" desk appendages is where we live and even that takes plenty to keep it clean and organized. Also in a seaway compact spaces with hand holds is mission critical otherwise your gorgeous voluminous salon is dangerous.

This decision if I were faced with it would be to find a sailboat that had the right amount of interior space and a large comfortable dry cockpit which is were you are when you sail and hang out to enjoy the weather. Fewer steps and levels to me is better... and climbing up onto the roof where there is another steering station and more view doesn't appeal to me as much. Less windage does and sailboats are best looking when they are sleek in my opinion and a completely different aesthetic from stinkpots.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #74 of 130 Old 01-13-2019 Thread Starter

S we have that sailboat now. Please understand totally love my boat but weíre discussing the pluses and minuses of power for long range cruising. Trying to understand dual wired frig/freezers which allow the genset to be off at anchor. Types of stabilization. Rough costs. Quality of life. Things like that.

On search finding converted steel fishing trawlers, diesel ducks, and one offs. They are in budget. Anybody here have experience with steel? Power or sail.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #75 of 130 Old 01-13-2019

Out, can you speak with people doing what you want to do who have these types of boats? I would think that would be the best resource. I don't think (guess) there are that many out there doing ocean passages and live aboard out there on these types of boats so your sample space will be quite small. I assumed these were basically used for coastal cruising and mostly lived in a slip.

But is the solution a response to a clearly defined problem or set of problems? My read was that your boat and any sailboat therefore is seen as an inadequate solution or contains problems. The fact that there are few of these motor yachts out there doing what you want to do must be related to something... cost to buy? cost to operate? other less tangible reasons?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #76 of 130 Old 01-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Roll bothers me. Current active fins reduce roll at rest. Old and new gyros or magnus effect does as well.
No, they don't. Fins and magnus effect systems only work with flow over them, so only work underway. Gyros are the only active roll management system that will work at rest.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #77 of 130 Old 01-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
With the sailing catamaran explosion of recent years I think it is logical to assume that the selection of power cats suitable for long distance will expand offering a better selection.
Fuel capacity is an issue for long distance on power cats, and I doubt that will change. There are power cats capable of long-distance cruising (ocean crossing), but they are purpose-built, and give up much of the living space for tankage and hull design.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 130 Old 01-13-2019 Thread Starter

S itís an interesting post. Thank You. At the beginning of this thread outlined why the bride has got me thinking about this.
Iím also on other sites. There are a number of pure trawler sites. Just like here there are coastal folks, live aboards, voyagers, charterers but they donít talk about the transition from sail to power.
Itís a surprisingly big community with a few moving from sail to power and (at least from appearances) more moving from coastal power to offshore power. Just like with sail due to job and family more are coastal or ďloopersĒ. (Thereís something called the great loop-Mississippi Great Lakes, st lawrence, east coast, gulf coast... or variations including e.g. Erie Canal, Hudson, Ohio, ICW etc).
I want 2200nm with a 10% reserve. Two person boat. From here I would appreciate input from folks who have experience in both formats or benefit of their thinking about a transition to the dark side. Some posts already have been extremely helpful in clarifying my thinking.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #79 of 130 Old 01-13-2019 Thread Starter

C the advertising says the current generation of fins work at rest. Although paravanes donít work as well as dedicated flopperstoppers have read they work at rest as well.Iím confused.
There are some pretty amazing powercats with sufficient range for my intended use. Unfortunately out of budget. Mark is right theyíre designed specifically for that purpose.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #80 of 130 Old 01-13-2019

I don't understand how active stabilizer find can work at rest. The physics are all wrong. These fins are foils that lift/pull down opposite sides of the boat in response to hearing. Without flow past them, they can't provide any lift. The same way your rudder or keel or sails are useless without flow over them.

I don't have much experience with them, so I'd appreciate a link to ones that work at rest.

Mark

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in