Identify these boats please... - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-11-2019 Thread Starter
Looking for cruising boat

Identify these boats please...

Hello all,

Apologies if this is not the correct forum. In my search for our first cruising boat, I am taking photos of boats I like, and trying to identify them from HIN or registered name if possible. Here are a few that I have not been able to figure out.

Pegasus

Maiden Voyage

No name - Hull ID shows a Bristol, maybe a 29 or 32?
Attached Thumbnails
Pegasus 2.jpg   Pegasus 1.jpg   Maiden Voyage 1.jpg   Maiden Voyage 2.jpg   Bristol 1.jpg  

kama.ringwood likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-11-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Identify these boats please...

2nd photo of the Bristol attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Bristol 2.jpg  
post #3 of 21 Old 01-12-2019 Thread Starter

Closer inspection revealed a Tartan plaque over the companionway, so I believe the Pegasus is a Tartan 30, 1970 design.

post #4 of 21 Old 01-12-2019

I would have said a Tartan 34 for the first. Note how the mast comes down lined up with the second port in the cabin trunk. On the T30 the mast is forward of the second porthole. The mainsheet on the T30 goes aft to the back end of the cockpit. On the T34 it goes to the bridge deck at the forward end of the cockpit. Maiden Voyage is hard to see. The transom reminds me of a Columbia. The toerail looks like C&C. The Bristol looks like a 35.5. There are several in our harbor. Without a shot from the side (which is also needed to learn more about Maiden Voyage) it is hard to tell. The cockpit looks too large for anything smaller than the 35.5, but the angle makes it hard to be sure.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-12-2019 Thread Starter

I think you are correct - Tartan 34 is a better match for the Pegasus.

The Maiden Voyage wineglass transom looks familiar, but with the midsection covered in a tarp, it's hard to tell what it is. No HIN that I could see, so probably pre-74.

The Bristol does indeed appear to be a 35.5, which surprises me, as it looks like an older design.

Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 21 Old 01-13-2019
Dirt Free

I see you are in Canada so ..... For future reference ....
If it's a Canadian Registered Vessel you can find it at Transport Canada Ships Registry database. Unlike USCG documented vessels, all Canadian Registered vessels must have a unique name.
Shawn Wright likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-14-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks, that is great to know! I had been using this site:

Nauticapedia-Maritime Heritage

But the official one is even better. The above site has some other good info though.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I see you are in Canada so ..... For future reference ....
If it's a Canadian Registered Vessel you can find it at Transport Canada Ships Registry database. Unlike USCG documented vessels, all Canadian Registered vessels must have a unique name.
Pleasure craft in Canada do not need to be registered, they can be just be licensed. Given that licensing is free and registering is not, most opt for the license. Many pleasure craft are not even licensed, or at least they are lot displaying their licence number on their bow as required. I dont think the public can access the information associated with a license number.

This is a good place to come to identify old boats, but the pics need to show details like hull profile, cabin shape etc. It is hard to identify boats when their lines are obscured by tarps, dinghies, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #9 of 21 Old 01-14-2019
Administrator

The first two pictures are definitely Tartan 34's. The second set of pictures of the boat with the wineglass transom is almost definitely a Columbia 8.7 but possibly an 8.3, both of which were later produced by Hughes then Aura Yachts then Hughes in Canada. And I believe that Paul is right that the third boat is a Bristol 35.5.

The Tartan 30 has a reverse transom and minimal overhangs.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #10 of 21 Old 01-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The first two pictures are definitely Tartan 34's. The second set of pictures of the boat with the wineglass transom is almost definitely a Columbia 8.7 but possibly an 8.3, both of which were later produced by Hughes then Aura Yachts then Hughes in Canada. And I believe that Paul is right that the third boat is a Bristol 35.5.

The Tartan 30 has a reverse transom and minimal overhangs.

Jeff
Also agree on the Bristol 35.5, which has the distinctive fixed lights. There is one in our yard and it has the same dorades and wrap-around coaming.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in