Sailboat creamed by tugboat and tow - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 01-23-2019

Re: Sailboat creamed by tugboat and tow

Sometimes the tugs are lit up like a Christmas tree with deck lights and the like, making the two whites more difficult to make out. And the barge, with its typically fewer lights by comparison, can trick you into thinking it's a separate contact much more distant, and not of concern. Even though both are in reality "steady bearing, decreasing range".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 01-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloc View Post
How would this look on radar? Would you see the tug and the barge separately, together, not at all?
Depends on rage and scale.

But generally speaking yes they would appear separately and if you are familiar with what they look like it’s quite clear. There again if you are familiar with what a tug and tow looks like. You wouldn’t go between the tug and the tow.
post #23 of 37 Old 01-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Depends on rage and scale.

But generally speaking yes they would appear separately and if you are familiar with what they look like it’s quite clear. There again if you are familiar with what a tug and tow looks like. You wouldn’t go between the tug and the tow.
In the Long Island Sound incident in 1981 the powerboat skipper, who had lost one of his 330hp engines and was in a panic in the dark, came alongside the tug as the local accounts had it. He supposedly asked the tug to stop and somehow help him, but the tug would need about a mile to come to a stop and that was not going to happen. The 36 ft powerboat then tried to cut behind the tug and ran into the towline, which caused his boat to sink. IFIRC, there were 5 family and friends who drowned, but the skipper managed to swim, without a PFD, for quite a while before reaching shore.
overthehorizon likes this.

post #24 of 37 Old 01-24-2019 Thread Starter

While crossing oceans I have 3 fears which never go away and generally keep me safe: 1) Falling overboard 2) Being run down by a ship 3) Getting hung up in the tow line of a tugboat. Only with the permission of the owner of this boat did I put up this post and pictures. I thought it would be a good learning experience for others and a reminder for myself to stay far away from tugboats. Certainly there are more details to this situation but I don't want to post information then have anyone come back and say I was not accurate. So, this morning I asked the boat owner to do an on camera interview so he can tell exactly what happened between him and the tug. I interrupted his grinding of fiberglass, not a convenient moment, to ask him about the interview and he sounds receptive but the interview will have to happen today or tomorrow as we will be leaving Tanga, Tanzania for Zanzabar day after tomorrow. Then it would take a week or so to organize the video.
post #25 of 37 Old 01-24-2019

I am not familiar with the Long Island incident. 1981 was a while ago.
There have been a couple of tragic incidents of the west coast.
Fireworks in English bay is popular summer event every year. There was an incident in English bay on fireworks night about a decade or so ago. involving a power boat attempting to pass between a tug and its tow resulting in several fatalities. The TSB doesn’t blame however the tug was also criticized even though it attempted to warn the boat with its search light.
If I recall the boater was relatively inexperienced and probably did not recognize the lights of the tug and tow.
Another series of incidents involve barges being pushed by a tug. Some of which have happened in day light.
Where small boats have tried to cross close ahead of tug and barge combos.
A friend of mine has suggested, the possibility the boater recognized it as a barge but thought they were passing astern.
I know one local tug which I believe has had three incidents.

There have also been a couple of tragic incidents involving small fast boats hitting log tows.
Local rules still allow for some older tows to be light according to the old rules. White all round lights which can be hard to see. I almost ran into an unlit log tow one night. Turns out the tug had gone into town for crew change. Leaving the tow drifting. I will be nice and assume his lanterns had been blown out. Fortunately I spotted the waves breaking against it and turned away just in time. I also wasn’t going very fast.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #26 of 37 Old 01-24-2019

and then there's this:

https://www.facebook.com/ifyouhigh/v...185010209/?t=0

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #27 of 37 Old 01-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
A lot going on there in that 30 second clip. Did the blue vessel nudge the stern of the following tug on the sailboat at about the 14 second mark?
post #28 of 37 Old 01-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
A lot going on there in that 30 second clip. Did the blue vessel nudge the stern of the following tug on the sailboat at about the 14 second mark?
Don't know, but that is one helluva crowded harbor.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #29 of 37 Old 01-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
In the Long Island Sound incident in 1981 the powerboat skipper, who had lost one of his 330hp engines and was in a panic in the dark, came alongside the tug as the local accounts had it. He supposedly asked the tug to stop and somehow help him, but the tug would need about a mile to come to a stop and that was not going to happen. The 36 ft powerboat then tried to cut behind the tug and ran into the towline, which caused his boat to sink. IFIRC, there were 5 family and friends who drowned, but the skipper managed to swim, without a PFD, for quite a while before reaching shore.
I read a couple of those articles. I'd say "in a panic" is generous; "a real jerk" might be accurate.

He was able to make way, but was slowed by mechanical issues. It sounds like he was asking everyone around him for help (like a 25' sailboat is going to tow a 36' powerboat) and was mad that people weren't responding faster. If I'm reading the articles right they pulled alongside the tug (?), then got pulled behind it.

Anyway.

I think the take home message is to stay a long ways away from tugs and tows and barges.
ottos and mbianka like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #30 of 37 Old 01-24-2019

Small boats too often get sucked under moored barges on the river so I stay clear of them everywhere. They're bigger than you are and do not have to be moving to get you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in