the joy of selling an inexpensive boat on CL - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 Old 01-31-2019

Re: the joy of selling an inexpensive boat on CL

The number one CL opener from buyers: "Whats your best price?" Why would I tell them that? You do have to deal with idiots and scammers on CL. But thats the price you pay for FREE. eBay has huge fees. They are my last resort for most things. And every other "Trader" ad service gets expensive fast. Overall, I ve had good luck with dozens and dozens of CL sales. Every time Ive arranged a meet they bought with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 01-31-2019

I feel your pain two years ago when I moved from Southern California we had an excess of stuff and tried to sell what we could and gave away some and donated a lot of stuff. We had stuff on Craigslist, Offer Up and even had a garage sale. I had some people try to pull all type of scams and dealt with so many flakes, I wish I had written down some of the experiences.

There was a guy that was trying to pull a fast one on me and my wife during a garage sale, had us hold something then came and tried to negotiate down on something we were basically given away already. I kicked him off my property then put the item in my car and took it to goodwill, out of principle.

When it comes to big ticket item like a boat, I like to screen people by writing a good honest description of the item and asking about their experience and plans for the boat. If they take time to respond you know they are serious. Whatever you do don't give out your phone number until you have at least screened the potential buyer, I learned that lesson the hard way.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 32 Old 01-31-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

I usually ask 3x what the item is worth and delete all emails that are not politely written or remotely serious. It may take a month to receive a legitimate offer for half the asking price, but very little time is wasted and we're both happy. Haggling is a sport...it's good to let them "win".
Skipper Jer likes this.

Tartan 31

post #24 of 32 Old 01-31-2019

Some of us would really just like to see honest value. I do not consider haggling a sport; it's something I am forced to do with crooks.

Last edited by paulinnanaimo; 01-31-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: poor grammar
post #25 of 32 Old 01-31-2019

I really enjoyed reading this thread! Some great advice on selling on CL and sailboatlistings.com. FWIW I've sold several things on CL with only modest problems. And I sold my previous boat and helped good friend sell his on sailboatlistings.com. I found it easy to detect the scammers. I did have some problems with the "no shows" with my boat, but only a few. I also refused to consider offers without the potential buyer seeing the boat. The biggest problem with low priced sailboats is most potential buyers know ZERO about them.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #26 of 32 Old 01-31-2019
Old soul

The scammers and low-ballers are pretty easy to spot and ignore (or laugh at). What bugged me the most about selling both my boat, and also a whole household of smaller stuff, was the number of queries from people who hadn’t taken the time to actually read the ad.

I would constantly get questions that were already specifically addressed in the ad. I just got to the point where I’d say, “read the ad.”

Of course, this was a huge flag that the person wasn’t really a serious buyer. Or more annoying, this was the opening of some game-playing.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 32 Old 01-31-2019

That’s what you get out there... $3K is a fantastic price for such a boat (year?), but people try to be smart... increase the price to $7K or so and end up with what you expect to get.

Just also note that some other sellers post their boats with ridiculous high price ($200K for a boat that may worth $50K...) that no one will pay - maybe waiting for a sucker to show up.

So this free service works in this way both ways... 🙂
post #28 of 32 Old 01-31-2019

Its nice to have this outlet/svce.
Of course some people game it with dishonest auto macro respnonses and other BS.
Tis what it is.
I try to not get upset when the wind does not smell like caramel...or channel #5
There is other sruff
post #29 of 32 Old 02-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
My Cal 29 needs a little more work than I have time for this year - bought it for a good price and will sell it for a good price -$3K - but that unfortunately brings out the nutjobs on CL - probably not so bad if it was $15K but low prices it attracts people who aren't sailors or have no money but still want a boat - lots of sight unseen offers for $1,000 - another guy looked at the boat and offered $800 - the solar panel and the Autohelm are worth more than that - not to mention a well running Yanmar 20hp. Others want me to take them for a sail - one guy called from Texas with his wife on the line also - asked a bunch of questions , said he would buy the boat and send me a check to hold it the next day - I was OK holding it - took the ad down - 1 hours later get and email saying he is backing out. I have no idea why this is but there seems to be a set of would - be buyers who have no intention of buying the boat but like to offer to buy it - probably the same that bid on Ebay auctions who win then back out. Boat will get sold in the next 2 weeks but have to wade through the nonsense to get it done - sorry for the rant.
Did you sell your boat?
post #30 of 32 Old 02-02-2019

I had a guy show up once, along with a tow truck, after we'd agreed on a price of $3500 the previous day. While the tow truck guy was hooking up, the buyer sheepishly said he'd left $1000 on his kitchen table at home but promised he'd come back with it tomorrow. When I told him to get lost, the guy acted offended that I wouldn't trust him. I heard the guy was later arrested for pulling a similar stunt on someone.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in