First Thief Experience - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 84 Old 02-02-2019

Re: First Thief Experience

No place is safe sadly, have to take precautions. I had my MacBook stolen from my car on a gated marina. Cameras might be your best bet ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 84 Old 02-02-2019
Old soul

That sucks Don. Glad it worked out OK. Any lasting effects on you or your wife? Are you changing anything to guard against further attempts?

Interesting you think you might have been specifically targeted. Seems like this could be, given your description. Do you know why? Does your dingy or boat stand out from the crowd there?
photoviewer likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 84 Old 02-02-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
No place is safe sadly, have to take precautions. I had my MacBook stolen from my car on a gated marina. Cameras might be your best bet ....
Where is this green cove springs marina'? Boy, I wanna steer clear of that place!'

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #14 of 84 Old 02-02-2019

Well that sucks Don. You think things are safe in a Marina but, thieves can pop up anywhere.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #15 of 84 Old 02-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
We used to encounter that fairly often at my marina, but not so much anymore. I keep a camera near my hatch, and snap a photo of them. I have also occasionally chased them, yelling vulgar threats loud enough so that I can hear my voice echoing off nearby buildings. At 4:00 am the voice carries, probably waking neighbors. At my advanced age, I have no hope of catching them, but I don't want to catch them, because then I'd have to fight them, and don't think it would go well for me. I want to create an image in their mind, so that they hear my deep, thunderous voice in their memory every time they doze off for the next month. That's what seems to stop them from returning.
Sounds like a good plan as this video shows it is not that easy to catch a thief even with several crew members helping out:

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #16 of 84 Old 02-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
by the time I put on some clothes
There's your mistake. Should have gone right out there naked - would have dropped the guy in his tracks...

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #17 of 84 Old 02-02-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There's your mistake. Should have gone right out there naked - would have dropped the guy in his tracks...

Mark
Well I was out there naked in the cockpit, but just wasn't willing to run screaming naked down the dock like a stupid cheerleader in a horror movie. Some other boater here might have shot me
Minnesail and photoviewer like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #18 of 84 Old 02-02-2019

Our yacht club and several nearby marinas have had our share of issues. Last year, the thieves broke into a local boat broker's office. The broker had gate keys to most of the marinas as well as our yacht club( these keys were provided as a courtesy so that boats for sale could be accessed). Quite a bit of stuff had been stolen before the missing gate keys were nullified.
sailforlife likes this.
post #19 of 84 Old 02-02-2019

Thumbs down Re: First Thief Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
WOW! - just wow!!

Curious; is your OB on the dink, or was this jerk just after the dink?

Please tell me that you reported this incident to the cops.
Always (!) file a police report.
Police patrolling resources get prioritized to where more - or less crime - is occurring. No report = no crime.

It's been quite a few years since our little marina was hit, but they came in via small skiff, and likely with a quiet electric trolling motor. We once lost two Honda OB's off of sailboats in one night -- security cables cut. Another time several boats were broken into and some electronic devices taken.

Usually, this crime comes in a 'wave' and when you talk to the cops you will find that nearby marina's have been targeted in the same time period. It's depressing, but thievery has been going on for a thousand years.

One other thing -- keep an eye out for people accessing your marina, sometimes by following someone in. While some of these are just rude or clueless sightseers, we sometimes find folks that are obviously trying to case the property.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #20 of 84 Old 02-02-2019

Dinghy theft is a big deal. Just getting off the boat and replacing it would be a major hassle. . So bad in St Lucia and St Vincent many cruisers avoid those islands. We have a lock that covers the handles of the engine and another one for the dinghy itself. Even on anchor the dinghy is locked to the boat.i have an unusual set up for davits so think someone unfamiliar with it would have trouble. Still see many cruisers lock their dinghies even when up in davits or pulled out of the water by a halyard.
I thought I’d be ok in the good old USA so quite sorry to hear of your experience Don.
RegisteredUser likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in