First Thief Experience - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 84 Old 02-04-2019

Re: First Thief Experience

Well there is something else I have to plan for. I am thinking lights hard wired to a microswitch when on dingy is on the boat plus a hidden spycam to record the activity. I am thinking hard wired with a switch instead of a motion sensor as that may be too sensitive and aggravating for neighbors. When the dingy is tied up at a dock while you roam maybe similar but tied to a cell phone notification?

LPd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 02-04-2019
cdy

Which marine in Jax area ?- not GCS Marina - no gate - could be Reynolds Marina a few piers down - they have a large gate to go out on the pier - there have been a number of thefts at GCS Marina - possibly it leaked down to Reynolds - there are lots of transient types ( not boaters) living in camper trailers there - at times it resembles a hobo encampment surrounded by boats.
sailforlife likes this.
post #33 of 84 Old 02-04-2019

You should file a police report. If this is a pattern and the police get several reports, they may increase patrols in your area.

We had 2 kayaks stolen in Sarasota about a decade ago. After a rather humorous string of events, the Police helped us get them them back. Take Home Messages: Don't steal boats from people who work on the water; don't steal items that have unique, easily identifiable features; and never cross my wife. She'll get even!

post #34 of 84 Old 02-04-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
Which marine in Jax area ?- not GCS Marina - no gate - could be Reynolds Marina a few piers down - they have a large gate to go out on the pier - there have been a number of thefts at GCS Marina - possibly it leaked down to Reynolds - there are lots of transient types ( not boaters) living in camper trailers there - at times it resembles a hobo encampment surrounded by boats.
Neither of those marinas are in Jacksonville. GCSM is where boats and their owners go to die. I've been there for a month on a mooring, but the cheap price is just not worth it overall.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don0190 For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (02-04-2019)
post #35 of 84 Old 02-04-2019

This is sort of my bailiwick. I was a prosecutor for twenty years. I have defended quite a few cases too. Plus, I live in the inner city and have been a victim many times.

You do everything you can to protect your property and make it less likely to be victimized. When that doesn't work, let your insurance company take care of you. Realize, as my grandfather did when someone stole a quarter side of beef during the depression, these are desperate people. That's not an excuse for their behavior, just a reality they created for themselves.

I am thinking you are going to have a really great life going forward. Let the flotsam pass.
post #36 of 84 Old 02-04-2019

Twasnt that many years ago when some vehicles in south africa were outfitted with mini blow torches....really.
Car jacking was the new...whatever.
Not sure how that would work on a boat...

Make uninviting and with alerts
Security and safety...people become primal
post #37 of 84 Old 02-04-2019

Is there such a thing as an alarm system on a boat?

It seems like it would be pretty easy to design a wire that when separated would sound an alarm. It does not have to be too loud to scare the thief and wake you up or the neighboring live aboard if you are not onboard.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 84 Old 02-04-2019

My wife's car was broken into last week in broad daylight and the police were grateful that we immediately reported it and are willing to press charges. Aside from lack of reporting the second issue that hampers the police is people not willing to press charges against thieves. Police were professional and took great care of my wife while forensics came up, took fingerprints, etc and officers were dispatched to stores that reported her credit cards being used there. The neighborhoods assigned officer is making the area where the theft was reported a regular stop for a while where they will park and do their paperwork along with electronically file their reports from the cruiser instead of while in the station. The officers here give it the personal touch and will leave you their card with a direct contact phone number to call/text for non-emergencies when you don't need to call 911. The assigned officer has made visits to homes in the neighborhood where they observed doors left open and other situations that would make you a bigger target to advise you on ways to make yourself less appealing to these thieves.

In this case it is a known foreign Hispanic gang that's come over from the Islands and has been working its way up the coast after spending some time in Miami and plaguing the East coast of Florida so now they are hitting the West coast before making their way back to the country they operate out of.

These guys will even put on wigs and disguises to look more like the photo on your drivers license, if they get a hold of it, in order to get past photo id requirements. Some will be more covert quietly entering to go through your wallet to take only one credit card that's not out in the front of your wallet to increase the chances that you will not notice until they have gotten away with making quite a few substantial purchases and they are neat so they leave no evidence to indicate that they were even there so by the time you figure it out they have gotten far away and may likely already be back in their homeland.

Bad enough having local thieves to deal with but these organized marauding bands of foreign thieves coming through from the islands is a bit much. I suppose it was only a matter of time before it overflowed to the US.
mbianka likes this.
post #39 of 84 Old 02-04-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
My wife's car was broken into last week in broad daylight and the police were grateful that we immediately reported it and are willing to press charges. Aside from lack of reporting the second issue that hampers the police is people not willing to press charges against thieves. Police were professional and took great care of my wife while forensics came up, took fingerprints, etc and officers were dispatched to stores that reported her credit cards being used there. The neighborhoods assigned officer is making the area where the theft was reported a regular stop for a while where they will park and do their paperwork along with electronically file their reports from the cruiser instead of while in the station. The officers here give it the personal touch and will leave you their card with a direct contact phone number to call/text for non-emergencies when you don't need to call 911. The assigned officer has made visits to homes in the neighborhood where they observed doors left open and other situations that would make you a bigger target to advise you on ways to make yourself less appealing to these thieves.

In this case it is a known foreign Hispanic gang that's come over from the Islands and has been working its way up the coast after spending some time in Miami and plaguing the East coast of Florida so now they are hitting the West coast before making their way back to the country they operate out of.

These guys will even put on wigs and disguises to look more like the photo on your drivers license, if they get a hold of it, in order to get past photo id requirements. Some will be more covert quietly entering to go through your wallet to take only one credit card that's not out in the front of your wallet to increase the chances that you will not notice until they have gotten away with making quite a few substantial purchases and they are neat so they leave no evidence to indicate that they were even there so by the time you figure it out they have gotten far away and may likely already be back in their homeland.

Bad enough having local thieves to deal with but these organized marauding bands of foreign thieves coming through from the islands is a bit much. I suppose it was only a matter of time before it overflowed to the US.
I must protest sir,

Finally you show your true colors.

This thread is no place to display racist insinuations or accusations or your political opinions thereof of people who are not of your persuasion,

It was not necessary to state a particular nationality in order to get your point across, which you chose to do without ANY proof. In addition making a political statement was also not necessary.

It is blatent prejudice to insinuate what you chose to do.

Please confine your political comments to the appropriate political threads . That way the rest of us who would like to read these forums without your political overtones.

Sorry to hear of the break in and hope the people who did it get caught.
Minnesail likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #40 of 84 Old 02-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I must protest sir,

Finally you show your true colors.

This thread is no place to display racist insinuations or accusations or your political opinions thereof of people who are not of your persuasion,

It was not necessary to state a particular nationality in order to get your point across, which you chose to do without ANY proof. In addition making a political statement was also not necessary.

It is blatent prejudice to insinuate what you chose to do.

Please confine your political comments to the appropriate political threads . That way the rest of us who would like to read these forums without your political overtones.

Sorry to hear of the break in and hope the people who did it get caught.
I just reported the facts on record without embellishment and I did not state any particular distinct nationality or country of origin as that was not relayed to me by the police. I am of Sicilian/Hispanic decent and if the thieves were known to be from roving band from Sicily, Spain or any one particular Spanish country I would have relayed that information too without bias. There was video surveillance showing one female member of the gang very clearly and it coincided with the police information which store personnel also verified about the thieves. Finger Prints, Video Surveillance, Eyewitnesses from Three Stores about who it was that did this so you really can't say there is no Proof as there is plenty of Proof, the task now remains to physically locate who is known to be doing this.

The police are familiar with who did it and where they came from and they are pursuing them. You can't change what happened, who did it or where they are known to come from. It does not mean nor did I say that everyone that comes from the Islands in general is part of this or any other gang of thieves and if that is what you are implying then you are 180 degrees off track.

Should I lie and distort the facts to better suit your sensitivities? That would be then be very dishonest and unethical too.

Boaters need to be aware of this band, their methods, where they are working out of and that they are not just targeting one country being very mobile. Calling it out publicly to raise awareness is the best way I know to limit the harm that they are doing. Hopefully if we all stay aware keeping our eyes open and report these things this group will be brought to justice and their activities stopped.

Leave that political paranoia baggage out of it and be part of the solution for dealing with these international roving thieves.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 02-04-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in