2' of snow - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 02-08-2019 Thread Starter

2' of snow

We have about that much on the level at my house right now, and I've been piling snow 8' high all around trying to keep the driveway passable.
So, I figured this is perfect weather to be planning out what I need to get the boat ready for lake. [emoji3]
Anyone else looking at their boat and planning for summer?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-08-2019

Re: 2' of snow

Have a BIG snow storm for the Puget Sound area coming in later today, 2-3 hours out actually. Some higher winds, might be a good day to go sailing! See if the adjustments I did to my new rig after first its first sail with the new rig!........Predicting a LOT of snow. Here is forecast......

“SEVERE WEATHER ALERT FOR SEATTLE: Get ready for more accumulating snow on Friday. Snowfall is expected to reach 1-100 inches. This snowstorm brings the threat of inconvenience for up to twelve hours. Residents should prepare by stocking up on essential staples to last as long as 0.5 days. It may be difficult to order a pizza due to demand and road conditions, and residents should prepare for at least two meals at home and to hear complaints from neighbors about local pizza delivery. This storm also presents the threat of cabin fever and dealing with family members getting under your skin. Older males may feel compelled to walk over to the window every half hour and mention the 1990 Snowpocalypse. Residents should also consider rushing to the hardware store for a new snow shovel, even though your old one is either just fine or buried under the crap in your garage, despite the fact that most of you never shovel your driveways anyway. Pets will not want to use the bathroom outdoors and those who are housebreaking puppies adopted for Christmas will regret that decision. Those who live in subdivisions will have the opportunity on Saturday morning to complain about the timeliness of plowing and argue about which streets should be cleaned first before the snow melts in the afternoon. Nobody else but you will know how to drive in the snow. The inclement weather will provide an excuse to cancel plans you really wish you hadn’t committed to in the first place. Please stay tuned for updates.”

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #3 of 36 Old 02-08-2019

We just pulled into the driveway at the mountain and there is approx 5’ on the ground. We had to shovel the roof last weekend... My daughter & I will get the fire going and then head out for a snowmobile ride up towards Erol, NH.. We’ll then ski tomorrrow & Sunday and maybe even bust out the toboggan and ride the ski trails on Sat night.. Winter in the Northeast is pretty fun and the boat is pretty far from my mind right about now...😜 Don’t let the snow get you down.....
miatapaul, SanderO, flyrod and 2 others like this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #4 of 36 Old 02-08-2019 Thread Starter

Oh, I'm prepared for snow too:

Maine Sail likes this.
post #5 of 36 Old 02-08-2019

Here's my commute home last night:

This morning it was bright and sunny, and -10ºF. Great bicycling weather!

But I can't wait to get back on the boat. I just got a double Lewmar clutch from eBay, and I have a Windex light I can't wait to install and try out. Night sailing!
krisscross and mbianka like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #6 of 36 Old 02-08-2019

Made me feel a little better. All I have to complain about is shoveling money to pay for the repairs on my boat. It was 70 degrees here yesterday and only 58 today. Have not had to sleep in a cap in many days now (in my truck or boat).
Minnesail likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #7 of 36 Old 02-08-2019

Guess we all have our own problems to deal with...
We had to break up ice returning to our slip on Wednesday
here in Manhasset bay, western LI sound.
Almost had to go out on the bow and pound the 2 x 4 (again).
Before going out we broke up the ice with a whaler but
wind shifted and had to make like a ice breaker upon return.
(have few alternate docks if really can not get back in creek to slip)
At any rate, I really did go down to boat with intentions to measure
for that new hatch but when Gary said were going sailing, what choice did I have...
But to answer the question...yes I am looking at the boat and even doing some planing.
new main hatch, 2 new ports, replace some woodwork, rebuild/replace fresh water pump
and on and on...
chef2sail likes this.
post #8 of 36 Old 02-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills4lou View Post
Oh, I'm prepared for snow too:

Those sleds are in nice shape for the age!!!

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #9 of 36 Old 02-08-2019

Yeah, it's been bitterly cold here. Have had a few periods of days on end where it barely got above 70 degrees and dropped into the low 60's at night. Had to pull out the down comforter to stay warm at night and get out the fleece for the evenings. Can look up at Mauna Kea and see snow down to about 11,000'.

What sites are people using to download photos so they can be posted here. Sunsets have been spectacular now that the Volcano has shut down. Know you people living in temperate zones would appreciate a good sunset over the Pacific. BTW, Temperate seems to be a really dumb description for locations that see 20 below in the winter and 100 above in the summer.

Aloha
Peter O.
on the slopes of Hualalei, Kona, HI
'Ae'a. 1969 Pearson 35
Ms American Pie. 1976 Sabre 28
Minnesail likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 02-08-2019

We are heading to the Vancouver Boat show tomorrow with a list of goodies we want for our new boat. I have also been pricing out an asymetric spinnaker, sprit and furler.

Unfortunately last week we got hit with a wind storm and the 40' powerboat next to me broke loose and spent the night bouncing off our boat, gouging up our gelcoat, bending a chainplate, and damaging the upper shroud. So now I'm having to deal with insurance, riggers, surveyors etc, and figure out when to get the boat repaired with the least impact on out inaugural cruising season with the new boat!

I was just down checking my lines in preparation for another wind storm that is starting right now. Oh, and we might get some snow too!

Spring cant come soon enough!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in