SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Barrier Coat vs. Bottom Paint Application (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/328356-barrier-coat-vs-bottom-paint-application.html)

Jeff356 02-12-2019 11:03 AM

Barrier Coat vs. Bottom Paint Application

Having our boat for the past 4 years I inherited a flaking bottom that I have managed with just reapplying bottom paint every spring before launch.

I do the normal scraping and sanding, trying to feather in and then paint a couple of coats and then ask the yard to move the stands after a couple of days and hit those spots and leave the bottom of the keel for the yard to paint on launch day.

This year might(should) be the year when I go all the way to the gel coat and apply a barrier coat and then bottom paint but just wondering about the bottom of the keel where the boat is supported when on the hard. Moving the stands and getting to those areas does not pose an issue but when applying barrier coat do you have the boat re positioned so you can barrier coat the entire keel including the bottom of it prior to painting that occurs just on launch day?

Just want to make sure the bottom of the keel is protected just as well if I am going to the effort and expense.

What was your experience...

Jeff

colemj 02-12-2019 11:39 AM

Re: Barrier Coat vs. Bottom Paint Application

Isn't the keel on that boat a bolt-on? If so, then there isn't any osmosis reason to barrier coat the bottom of the keel.

If it was me, and the scraping/feathering wasn't too onerous every spring, I'd keep on doing that until it wasn't possible anymore. If you plan to move so that it stays in the water, or go further cruising with it, then I'd do the strip and coat thing.

Mark

eherlihy 02-12-2019 12:12 PM

This is slightly off topic, but I have been using Pettit Hydrocoat ever since I had my bottom blasted and barrier coated 7-years ago. I get two seasons (years) out of a coat of Hydrocoat in Narragansett Bay. When the time comes to re-coat I scrub the bottom with Barkeeper's Friend and water with a scotch-brite pad, to expose clean paint, and then apply another layer. For years that I don't paint, I lightly scrub with a scotch-brite pad and splash.

YMMV depending on location, but this works for me.

celenoglu 02-12-2019 01:21 PM

If you plan barrier coating, make sure the hull is dry, the humidity should ideally be less than 10%. Higher humidity (above 14%) might cause osmosis if barrier coat is applied. The hull will not dry on the hard unless the gel coat is removed.

Damon Gannon 02-12-2019 02:00 PM

If you do barrier coat, I'd recommend using Sea Hawk Tuff Stuff high-build barrier coat. We have had great luck with it. Only requires 2 or 3 coats and you can start the next coat as soon as you finish the previous one. Alternate colors so you can see where you've already coated.

If you are going to do the sanding/grinding yourself, you may want to look into a chemical stripper instead. I used Dumond's Peel Away and now I would never sand or grind bottom paint down to the gelcoat ever again (We're too cheap to pay for someone to soda blast). Breathing the toxic dust is no good. With the chemical peel, all the paint comes off in a solid strip, making cleanup easy. And the boat yard was happy that I wasn't spreading the environmental hazard all over their property and the neighboring boats. The peel material is toxic but you're not inhaling a dust and once it cures, it is pretty inert.

Don0190 02-13-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celenoglu (Post 2051582700)
If you plan barrier coating, make sure the hull is dry, the humidity should ideally be less than 10%. Higher humidity (above 14%) might cause osmosis if barrier coat is applied. The hull will not dry on the hard unless the gel coat is removed.

Where does one a place with such low humidity

MarkofSeaLife 02-14-2019 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don0190 (Post 2051582864)
Where does one a place with such low humidity

Arizona.

Obviously.

:grin

Don0190 02-14-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2051583092)
Arizona.

Obviously.

:grin

Wonder what the boat trucking cost would be.

Just spend 5 days in the yard doing the bottom. Temperatures in the day during the project ranged from 50 degrees to 84 degrees. I bet the humidity never got below 70%.

I hope my $934 bottom paint and my $110 barrier coat/primer stays on my boat :crying