• 4 Post By eherlihy
  • 3 Post By Damon Gannon
  • 2 Post By Don0190
  • 1 Post By MarkofSeaLife
  • 2 Post By Don0190

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2019 Thread Starter

Barrier Coat vs. Bottom Paint Application

Having our boat for the past 4 years I inherited a flaking bottom that I have managed with just reapplying bottom paint every spring before launch.

I do the normal scraping and sanding, trying to feather in and then paint a couple of coats and then ask the yard to move the stands after a couple of days and hit those spots and leave the bottom of the keel for the yard to paint on launch day.

This year might(should) be the year when I go all the way to the gel coat and apply a barrier coat and then bottom paint but just wondering about the bottom of the keel where the boat is supported when on the hard. Moving the stands and getting to those areas does not pose an issue but when applying barrier coat do you have the boat re positioned so you can barrier coat the entire keel including the bottom of it prior to painting that occurs just on launch day?

Just want to make sure the bottom of the keel is protected just as well if I am going to the effort and expense.

What was your experience...

Jeff

s/v LegaSea
Hunter 2003 356
Middle River, MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2019

Re: Barrier Coat vs. Bottom Paint Application

Isn't the keel on that boat a bolt-on? If so, then there isn't any osmosis reason to barrier coat the bottom of the keel.

If it was me, and the scraping/feathering wasn't too onerous every spring, I'd keep on doing that until it wasn't possible anymore. If you plan to move so that it stays in the water, or go further cruising with it, then I'd do the strip and coat thing.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-12-2019
Learning the HARD way...

This is slightly off topic, but I have been using Pettit Hydrocoat ever since I had my bottom blasted and barrier coated 7-years ago. I get two seasons (years) out of a coat of Hydrocoat in Narragansett Bay. When the time comes to re-coat I scrub the bottom with Barkeeper's Friend and water with a scotch-brite pad, to expose clean paint, and then apply another layer. For years that I don't paint, I lightly scrub with a scotch-brite pad and splash.

YMMV depending on location, but this works for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #4 of 8 Old 02-12-2019

If you plan barrier coating, make sure the hull is dry, the humidity should ideally be less than 10%. Higher humidity (above 14%) might cause osmosis if barrier coat is applied. The hull will not dry on the hard unless the gel coat is removed.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-12-2019

If you do barrier coat, I'd recommend using Sea Hawk Tuff Stuff high-build barrier coat. We have had great luck with it. Only requires 2 or 3 coats and you can start the next coat as soon as you finish the previous one. Alternate colors so you can see where you've already coated.

If you are going to do the sanding/grinding yourself, you may want to look into a chemical stripper instead. I used Dumond's Peel Away and now I would never sand or grind bottom paint down to the gelcoat ever again (We're too cheap to pay for someone to soda blast). Breathing the toxic dust is no good. With the chemical peel, all the paint comes off in a solid strip, making cleanup easy. And the boat yard was happy that I wasn't spreading the environmental hazard all over their property and the neighboring boats. The peel material is toxic but you're not inhaling a dust and once it cures, it is pretty inert.
Trekka, jarcher and RegisteredUser like this.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-13-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
If you plan barrier coating, make sure the hull is dry, the humidity should ideally be less than 10%. Higher humidity (above 14%) might cause osmosis if barrier coat is applied. The hull will not dry on the hard unless the gel coat is removed.
Where does one a place with such low humidity
MarkofSeaLife and dixiedawg like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Where does one a place with such low humidity
Arizona.

Obviously.

T37Chef likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Arizona.

Obviously.

Wonder what the boat trucking cost would be.

Just spend 5 days in the yard doing the bottom. Temperatures in the day during the project ranged from 50 degrees to 84 degrees. I bet the humidity never got below 70%.

I hope my $934 bottom paint and my $110 barrier coat/primer stays on my boat
RegisteredUser and Jeff356 like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in