Staysail sheeting - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-12-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Staysail sheeting

We have a very nice curved track for sheeting the staysail to on the foredeck, but the sailmaker who built the sail did a very poor job of building it to fit. I believe if I had a track or even a pad eye or two on the cabin top we could achieve a much better sail shape.
I'm not at all sure that we can put track or pad eyes on the cabin top as there is no structural integrity for those sorts of stresses, no matter how big the backing blocks.
Any thoughts?
jblumhorst likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-2019

Re: Staysail sheeting

Rig up barber-haulers by putting a snatch block on a piece of line and tie it off to the toerails (port or starboard, or both, as needed- they should be strong enough) and run the sheets through them to get the sheeting angle you want. It may not be overly pretty, but it should work. If you set them up on tackles you can make them adjustable under load.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-12-2019

...or run what you have until its time for a new one

post #4 of 11 Old 02-12-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Rig up barber-haulers by putting a snatch block on a piece of line and tie it off to the toerails (port or starboard, or both, as needed- they should be strong enough) and run the sheets through them to get the sheeting angle you want. It may not be overly pretty, but it should work. If you set them up on tackles you can make them adjustable under load.
Thanks, we already use what we call the "magic sheet" to make it better, but I was asking a specific question, not looking for a workaround.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 02-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Thanks, we already use what we call the "magic sheet" to make it better, but I was asking a specific question, not looking for a workaround.
Two options, then. 1/Have the sail re-cut. If you are unable/unwilling to mount new deck or cabintop hardware, anything else will be a "workaround".
2/The clew on our Soling's self-tacking jib ended with an aluminum plate - similar to the headboard on a mainsail. Its aft edge was roughly parallel with the forestay and was pierced with about six holes along the edge, to which was attached the jibsheet. For light air we attached the sheet to an upper hole, in effect "moving the lead forward". In heavy air we moved the sheet to the lower holes, "moving the lead aft". Such a plate on your jib might help resolve the trim angle and improve the set of the sail without having to move hardware. The clew of your sail might need reinforcing to put up with the new directional strains, but it worked on our boat.
capta likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-13-2019

On our Westsail 32 put short tracks on each side of cabin and top an the staysail sheets to blocks on those. Worked perfectly with a very nicely trimmed sail on all points. Something wrong with your boat's construction if the deck can't take forces of a staysail sheet.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-13-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Something wrong with your boat's construction if the deck can't take forces of a staysail sheet.
Well, other than it's nearly 4 times as heavy as yours (our boat weighs around 77,000 pounds and the W32 around 20). But I can't imagine the cabin top was all that much heavier built than yours as it was never intended to be a structural member for a sheeting position, especially considering that a staysail is most commonly the storm jib on a vessel such as mine and yours.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-14-2019

Recutting a sail is not usually all that expensive and this job may be a one day turn around. Not peanuts, of course. If the draft needed to be moved, that would be more complex. I also suspect it would cost less than new blocks, deck work, reinforcement, etc. Have you checked?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-14-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Recutting a sail is not usually all that expensive and this job may be a one day turn around. Not peanuts, of course. If the draft needed to be moved, that would be more complex. I also suspect it would cost less than new blocks, deck work, reinforcement, etc. Have you checked?
About a third more cloth would have to be added to the sail to get what I want, and as it's almost new, I don't see a new one in my near future. Right now it is Yankee cut and it needs to be nearly a deck sweeper to work properly.

post #10 of 11 Old 02-14-2019
Always learning...

Ok, so it sounds like you have considered most normal solutions, so here’s one out of left field: Have a spar fitted to the foot and make it self-tending with the sheet connected through a block on your existing track to a reachable point on the spar. Yes, I am fully aware that there are issues with this idea.

Jonathan

S/V Pinniped
Jason 35

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in