Small Sailboat - Need help to identify ... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2019 Thread Starter

Small Sailboat - Need help to identify ...

Anyone know the make and model of this small sailboat?
No HIN nor manufacturer's plate available and no sail logo/insignia.
Registered as 'homemade' vessel from early 1970s(?), not sure country of origin.

LOA ~ about 17 feet, Beam ~ about 5.5 feet, Draft ~ about 1.5 feet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Small Sailboat - Need help to identify ...

What an absolutely cool lil boat. Whoever owns that very lucky.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 4 Old 02-14-2019 Thread Starter

Appears to be a Sussex Cob. Thanks to Lisa on FB and Peter on YBW ... The spec. for a Sussex Cob - Pearson Bros. Suppliers: Meeching Boats, UK & Pearson Bros. UK. LOA 16'6 Beam 5'8 Cenreboard grp boat. Pine masts and boom. Built-in buoyancy. Variations - Outboard well and two rowing positions incorporated. Detachable cuddy can be fitted. Sails Tan coloured. Area 10.2msq/110 sq ft. Gunter or ketch. £500 in 1974. Designed for operation from beaches with a counter stern so that the boat will not swamp when beaching. Versatile and seaworthy. A goo fishing vessel. - (Fron Sailing Boats of the World a guide to classes 1974) and The Boat World Book of Dinghies 1974 lists Pearsons as making the Bobbin, Bonito, Sailaway and Sussex Cob. The Sussex Cob is listed as 16'6" long, is ketch rigged and has a lute stern, with a Gunter main and a Bermudan mizzen, so that's almost certainly your boat.
Pearson did build other boats too, they built quite a lot of Finns in the 60s and so probably other dinghies too.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks to a great reply to my YBW forum thread, I have the following additional information and I have gathered more resources. A copy of an original Pearson Brothers Ltd. advertisement brochure catalogue for 1974 has been found along with an 'options' price list. There was a very basic Price list / Order form attached to the single page Sussex Cob 1974 catalogue.
The cost of the basic Sailing Boat then was GBP 725 ex VAT.
The basic Fisher version was GBP 475.
The sailing rig costing an extra GBP 250.
The detachable GRP cuddy for the Fisher version (shown in the drawing in the catalogue) was an extra GBP 95.
An overall PVC boat cover was GBP 33.
You could even get a Mini Elsan toilet for 15 quid.
A trailer with a winch and lights was an extra GBP 103.
A pair of oars was an optional extra, at GBP 9.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in