Boats and the Condos View - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-17-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Boats and the Condos View

There's a 60' houseboat here at the marina. This morning one of the other boaters was leaving the dock and noticed that the lines for the houseboat had been untried (the lines aren't behind the locked gate). If the current had changed the house boat would have floated away and who knows what damage it would have done to itself and other stuff. Apparently the condos next to the marina have been battling to get rid of the marina because the boats I guess ruin their view (the houseboat was at a different spot a week ago and moved because of the flack). My suspicion is that some condo owner untried those lines, maybe ones that are across from the houseboats new dock location.

If you don't want to see boats, why did you buy a condo next to a marina? Plus the view on the other side of the marina is crap and they should be glad not to see it. And between the marina and the street )right next to the condo build) there's a 19 story unfinished building.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-17-2019
Senior Moment Member

Re: Boats and the Condos View

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
If you don't want to see boats, why did you buy a condo next to a marina?
The same reason people buy houses near an airport and then complain about the noise.

People are selfish.
eherlihy and MarkofSeaLife like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-17-2019

Keeps sounding more like you should anchor out...
eherlihy likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-17-2019

Houseboats are typically pretty ugly. They are perceived by land lubbers as no more than a scam to get cheap waterfront property. They are hardly used as boats, just floating homes. In fact, I've heard them marketed exactly that way, with only the most minimum of propulsion to qualify as a boat, that is not really intended to be used.

I recall hearing the pitch in Annapolis many years ago and I recall that community pushing back on them too.

Real boats, not so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-17-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Turns out the houseboat owner had fired an employee the other day and that guy has been running around damaging the owners stuff.

So I semi-apologize to the condo people as they aren't vandals, just cryers.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #6 of 13 Old 02-17-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Minne-
There's supposed to be a "house" on display near the Miami Boat Show this week. All modern and pricey and, oh yes, apparently it has 25-foot long "jacking legs" so you can anchor it almost anywhere and not have to worry about their king tides and hurricane storm surge and other inconveniences.
Perfect for the buyer who already has swampland and just needs a solution to the unreliable water levels, huh?
Minnewaska and mbianka like this.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Minne-
There's supposed to be a "house" on display near the Miami Boat Show this week. All modern and pricey and, oh yes, apparently it has 25-foot long "jacking legs" so you can anchor it almost anywhere and not have to worry about their king tides and hurricane storm surge and other inconveniences.
Perfect for the buyer who already has swampland and just needs a solution to the unreliable water levels, huh?
Does it float, or do you install it from a truck at low tide?
post #8 of 13 Old 02-18-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

From the puff piece I read, it is self contained. Tug boat, dump truck, air drop it from a C-130...whatever you please. No engines, just the jacking legs to keep it above flooding.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-19-2019

It's interesting. Permanently affixing a structure to the sea bed would not seem to be the same as anchoring a boat. Perhaps more of a fixed hazard to navigation. That must be why the municipalities get involved with permitting them and dirt dwellers object.

On the other hand, boats that drop an anchor and stay permanently aren't technically all that different. I'm on the side of protecting our anchorages in general. However, I can see the local municipal argument that the right to navigation is not the same as living on anchor permanently. Where the line is drawn is the problem.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-19-2019

It's Florida - they are all going to be house boats soon enough.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in