Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5? - SailNet Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

Its a nearly 4k boat. seems small to me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190216_160321071.jpg   IMG_20190115_140240603.jpg  
westerly winds is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 02-25-2019
Barquito
 
Barquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,354
Thanks: 1
Thanked 87 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

The depth of the rudder may be limited by a shoal draft keel (don't want the rudder to be lower than the keel).

Valiant 32
Barquito is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2019
Senior Member
 
SchockT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,990
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

It certainly looks small, but rudder size is less about the size or weight of the boat and more about the power in the sail plan. If the boat is under canvassed it wont matter as much.

Having said that, I would think if you did get into an overpowered situation your rudder will lose its bite pretty easily. You definitely want to keep the boat as flat as you can!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
SchockT is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 02-25-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangor ME, Berkeley, CA
Posts: 123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

I believe this is a bilge (twin) keel boat (they have a following in the UK where these are made) If so that may have something to do with the smaller rudder size as they are not uncommon on bilge keel boats.
A bilge keel is very handy if you live in an area where there is a large tidal range as they can sit upright on the sea bed when the tide goes out. The best thing to do is to look for an owner's association, Facebook group or online forum specific to this boat and ask people there if they have ever had any issues with the boat not being responsive to the helm.
chicory83 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-25-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo B.C.
Posts: 4,482
Thanks: 5
Thanked 138 Times in 137 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

Notice the prop has been knocked off by sitting in the bottom?? The design may have several sketchy design features.
Capt Len is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 02-25-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
It certainly looks small, but rudder size is less about the size or weight of the boat and more about the power in the sail plan. If the boat is under canvassed it wont matter as much.

Having said that, I would think if you did get into an overpowered situation your rudder will lose its bite pretty easily. You definitely want to keep the boat as flat as you can!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

true, they sail pretty flat.
westerly winds is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2019
Barquito
 
Barquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,354
Thanks: 1
Thanked 87 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

Sometimes it is not such a bad thing to have a rudder that is not overly powerful. If you have the tiller tied off, or on AP, and experience a big gust, instead of broaching, the rudder will stall, and the boat will gracefully round up... or not.

Valiant 32
Barquito is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-25-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory83 View Post
I believe this is a bilge (twin) keel boat (they have a following in the UK where these are made) If so that may have something to do with the smaller rudder size as they are not uncommon on bilge keel boats.
A bilge keel is very handy if you live in an area where there is a large tidal range as they can sit upright on the sea bed when the tide goes out. The best thing to do is to look for an owner's association, Facebook group or online forum specific to this boat and ask people there if they have ever had any issues with the boat not being responsive to the helm.
English westerly group says its too small. Looks like I will have to add on some area in the back.
westerly winds is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2019
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,566
Thanks: 22
Thanked 145 Times in 140 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

Under power it might have been ok with the original inboard engine pushing flow over the rudder but will be much less responsive with that outboard aft of the rudder.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is online now  
post #10 of 10 Old 02-26-2019
Senior Member
 
SchockT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,990
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Is this rudder too small on Westerly warwick 21.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Sometimes it is not such a bad thing to have a rudder that is not overly powerful. If you have the tiller tied off, or on AP, and experience a big gust, instead of broaching, the rudder will stall, and the boat will gracefully round up... or not.
I think quite the opposite. The boat will broach much more readily with that abbreviated rudder!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
SchockT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
westerly warwick redtop Boat Review and Purchase Forum 7 10-29-2015 08:43 PM
Westerly Warwick 22 ft Sloop madman960 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 37 05-02-2011 07:15 PM
How small is too small? kjsailingSpring Boat Review and Purchase Forum 5 03-28-2006 06:51 PM
west baja--- how small is too small ? jbarros Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 1 05-29-2003 07:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome