Anybody sailing to Marsh Harbor from the States? - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-05-2019 Thread Starter

Anybody sailing to Marsh Harbor from the States?

I am in need of a starter solenoid. Would be great if someone were heading this way so it doesn't get lohst in the mail.

Let me know!
scubadoo likes this.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-05-2019

Dock
Re: Anybody sailing to Marsh Harbor from the States?

Have you tried getting one from Basil Wilmore, the local alternator and starter guy there?

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #3 of 17 Old 03-05-2019

There is an aid/napa in marsh harbour

post #4 of 17 Old 03-05-2019
Dirt Free

+1 on Basil, one of the few fair and reliable techs in the Bahamas

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-05-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks. Donny of Green Turtle Cay is going over tomorrow and will try to contact Basil for me.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

Keth

post #6 of 17 Old 03-05-2019

Dock

Bleemus - I am in Marsh Harbor now, and coincidentally will be going to see Basil tomorrow to pick up an alternator he repaired for me. Let me know if I can do anything to assist.
scubadoo likes this.

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #7 of 17 Old 03-05-2019
Master Mariner

Just a word of caution. Bahamian customs take their job extremely seriously, so if you have someone bring a part for you, make sure that person declares the part and that the duty gets paid! I've sent parts to the US for repairs and customs still wanted (and got) their money as if it was a new part.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 17 Old 03-05-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Just a word of caution. Bahamian customs take their job extremely seriously, so if you have someone bring a part for you, make sure that person declares the part and that the duty gets paid! I've sent parts to the US for repairs and customs still wanted (and got) their money as if it was a new part.
I've run in to that too. Even tho' their law as per the government website says that there is no duty on parts used for propullsion on a boat with a cruising permit ... the guy at the desk may have a different idea and you can't win.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-05-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Bleemus - I am in Marsh Harbor now, and coincidentally will be going to see Basil tomorrow to pick up an alternator he repaired for me. Let me know if I can do anything to assist.
Thanks big dog! In search of westerbeke part 030245. Starter solenoid. Any info you can get would be helpful!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

Keth

post #10 of 17 Old 03-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I've run in to that too. Even tho' their law as per the government website says that there is no duty on parts used for propullsion on a boat with a cruising permit ... the guy at the desk may have a different idea and you can't win.
I've routinely been charged different amounts by customs and immigration in the Bahamas. Especially on the out islands. Especially when one could only pay cash. I highly suspected corruption, but just as likely is extreme incompetence (with a smug attitude).

My prototypical experience in the Bahamas was not with C&I, but was with a local airport in Exuma. It was back in they day that you carried an envelope of $100 bills to buy fuel in the out islands. My bill came to a dollar or two into the next $100 and the guy said he didn't have any change. I told him, if he found change, he could keep a $20. He went inside and immediately came out with change.

Imagine what the world would be like, if people didn't suck. I love the Bahamas and have even more stories about good people there, but you have to watch your back.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in