2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-07-2019 Thread Starter
SailRN

US citizen working on foreign-flagged vessels

Thread HIJACKED!

Fair winds,

Craig RN (Critical Care)
Amateur Radio Extra Class GROL + RADAR CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor (USCG STCW approved)
GMDSS Maintainer/Operator + RADAR USCG MMC Radio Officer, Professional Nurse
SeaRunner 37

Last edited by SailRN; 03-12-2019 at 01:13 AM. Reason: HIJACKED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-08-2019

Re: US citizen working on foreign-flagged vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
.....Any knowledge of this situation? (Not guesses, nor opinions, just first-hand knowledge - PLEASE)
I understand what you're saying, but there is no way you're going to be able to tell the difference on an internet forum.

Bottom line is, your prospective employer is going to tell you what they want. Even if they're wrong, you're not going to change their mind. My guess, which you don't want, is the answer is variable based upon the flag of the vessel, where it's going, what it's doing, etc. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-08-2019

> I need authoritative advice

There is an entire profession dedicated to this. If you want authoritative advice about the law, you should talk to a lawyer. I'm guessing that an international employment attorney could answer this question for you.

I read that providing specific, tailored legal advice *without* being a lawyer is a crime in many states. So... yeah.

post #4 of 27 Old 03-08-2019 Thread Starter
SailRN

Well, this isn't working out well.
rbrasi likes this.

Fair winds,

Craig RN (Critical Care)
Amateur Radio Extra Class GROL + RADAR CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor (USCG STCW approved)
GMDSS Maintainer/Operator + RADAR USCG MMC Radio Officer, Professional Nurse
SeaRunner 37
post #5 of 27 Old 03-08-2019
Master Mariner

Fact: Americans can stay in the EU according to Schengen for 90 days and then they must leave the Schengen countries for 90 days. If you are working aboard a boat based in the EU or remains in EU waters, you must leave the EU for 90 days.
A quick trip to North Africa for a day is not a way to circumvent this. The rules, to the best of my knowledge are very strict, though I've heard of many Americans who ignore this on their own boat, keeping a low profile. I'm not so sure you will have any way to keep a low profile if the vessel is traveling to and from the EU regularly.
If you find a captain willing to take you aboard, he may know some way to deal with this, but otherwise, it is 90 days in and 90 days out!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 27 Old 03-08-2019
Dirt Free

SEAMAX is an employment agency for cruise lines, perhaps they can help you.
Minnewaska likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
SailRN (03-10-2019)
post #7 of 27 Old 03-08-2019

If an employment ad states they require a Schengen visa, then you have no chance trying to "educate" them even if they are "wrong".

Even with a legal brief prepared by a top firm specializing in such matters, costing thousands of dollars in fees.

EU recent-immigrants work for much lower wages and put up with the standard abuses much better.

And multi-lingual EU local citizens are also available by the millions for not much more.

Maybe consider working as an English teacher?
post #8 of 27 Old 03-08-2019

I found a website that you might find helpful. It's at www.schengenvisainfo.com. One part in particular seems to address your question. Here it is:

"US Citizen Rejected from Entering Europe Visa-Free

As previously stated, if you were rejected from entering the Schengen Zone, despite of being a US national or a national of a country that has established visa-free regime with the European Union, you will need to apply for a Schengen visa in the United States.

You can apply for a visa at the embassy or consulate of the main country you wish to visit, located in the US. Sometimes embassies outsource visa submission to the embassy or consulate of another Schengen country or third parties that offer visa services.

For more information, read the article “How and Where to Apply for a Schengen Visa in the US?"

Thus, even though US Citizens are exempt from the Schengen requirement, that first paragraph clearly contemplates that US citizens are sometimes denied entry without one. Elsewhere in that website it says the decision of the official is final, and your only recourse is to return to the US and obtain a schengen visa from the the embassy or consulate of the main country you wish to visit, located in the US.

That would explain why potential employers want you to obtain a schengen visa before they employ you.

I suggest you read through that website carefully and completely. It is very informative.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-08-2019
Senior Citizen

Be careful who you ship out with. There are many reports of unpaid and abandoned crew.
https://worldmaritimenews.com/
post #10 of 27 Old 03-09-2019

On the flip side, I'm told that many US vessel owners are motivated, in part, to flag their vessel in a foreign country, or a non-state US possession, because it makes it easier to hire a foreign crew. Not the OP's question, of course, but I find that interesting. I can't quote the law, just something I've heard.

To the OP, you're getting about the best you can expect from asking a bunch of strangers at the bar. No one is trying to be rude or critical. It would be a great contribution to the community, if you let us know what you learn in your pursuit. I'm sure others are interested. Good luck.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Tags
crewing , foreign-flagged , on foreign vessels , uscg mmc

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in