US citizen working on foreign-flagged vessels #2 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 03-12-2019

Re: US citizen working on foreign-flagged vessels #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
And good luck telling people what to post.
Funny how many people try to do that, though. I always get a pretty hearty laugh from the folks who think they can dictate to others what and how to post on a public forum, and then an even bigger laugh when they get all pissy because the responses aren't what they wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 03-12-2019

Arcb, prepare to be spanked for your input. You didn't tell the OP what he wanted to hear, nor proved your qualifications to answer the question. Forgivable perhaps, since said qualifications were in the OP that was deleted.

My guess is the OP is simply unemployable for other reasons. Would I be wrong to say the Merchant Marine community is a fairly small community, where reputation, or lack thereof, is easily researched? The very few I know seem to rely on their personal networks, relationships they've developed over the years, to get the jobs they want. This ranges from a harbor pilot to a drilling ship captain.
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-12-2019

Minn, I promptly deleted my response, because I am not listing my credentials and I am not a US citizen

But yes.
Minnewaska likes this.

post #14 of 17 Old 03-12-2019

OP if you do come back to read this, don't get angry please, I'm not even talking to you at all here. And best of luck to you in chasing your dreams, sincerely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
rely on their personal networks, relationships they've developed over the years, to get the jobs they want.
Yes I also am thinking that too

Getting work overseas from foreign owners may well be so vanishingly rare it probably works differently, but starting off here

with a question trying to overcome one of the hurdles by trying to prove the prospective employers are "wrong" in one of their more minor (to them) requirements,

seems like an inefficient approach.

I wonder if gaining all those requirements was done with this goal in mind from the beginning but without doing any research as to the job market, or how to go about starting on a job hunt?

Just having a unique combination of unrelated qualifications doesn't always translate into easily getting the intended position. I wonder what other types of maritime companies employ nurses, besides navies and cruise ships? School ships?

More likely to get a nursing job on US soil but in popular sailing locations, and then work out a work schedule that allowed for sailing say 3-4 months of the year, I would think that would be relatively straightforward.

I've dated a lot of nurses over the years since I was a teenager long ago, mostly non-USians living or wanting to live outside their home country, married one in fact!

There are very few locations in the world where nursing wages are better than here, and the qualification paperwork always needs a lot of effort to get "translated" to a new jurisdiction.

And to others deciding on what career dreams to pursue: if yours is an unusual combination, doing this sort of research before starting to acquire the qualifications, would be a **really** good idea.

Last edited by john61ct; 03-12-2019 at 03:28 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-12-2019
Rainwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
Why are you posting such a useless reply?
Because my wife was in the bathroom, and I was killing time while I waited to take a dump.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-12-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
OP if you do come back to read this, don't get angry please, I'm not even talking to you at all here. And best of luck to you in chasing your dreams, sincerely.

Yes I also am thinking that too

Getting work overseas from foreign owners may well be so vanishingly rare it probably works differently, but starting off here

with a question trying to overcome one of the hurdles by trying to prove the prospective employers are "wrong" in one of their more minor (to them) requirements,

seems like an inefficient approach.

I wonder if gaining all those requirements was done with this goal in mind from the beginning but without doing any research as to the job market, or how to go about starting on a job hunt?

Just having a unique combination of unrelated qualifications doesn't always translate into easily getting the intended position. I wonder what other types of maritime companies employ nurses, besides navies and cruise ships? School ships?

More likely to get a nursing job on US soil but in popular sailing locations, and then work out a work schedule that allowed for sailing say 3-4 months of the year, I would think that would be relatively straightforward.

I've dated a lot of nurses over the years since I was a teenager long ago, mostly non-USians living or wanting to live outside their home country, married one in fact!

There are very few locations in the world where nursing wages are better than here, and the qualification paperwork always needs a lot of effort to get "translated" to a new jurisdiction.

And to others deciding on what career dreams to pursue: if yours is an unusual combination, doing this sort of research before starting to acquire the qualifications, would be a **really** good idea.
What everybody has seemed to have forgotten is the $1200.00 or so it takes to get the STCW certification to work on ANY vessel that travels internationally. For ANY crew position, (stew, cook, engineer's helper, etc) on up on yachts (not sure about non-deck crew on ships these days).
So, long before any visa will come up that certification must be in hand. It isn't like it used to be; just jump aboard a boat and get paid for sailing. It costs some pretty serious money these days before one can even be qualified for the lowliest position.
I was one of the lucky ones; they grandfathered me in, so I didn't have to spend the cash.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #17 of 17 Old 03-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
What everybody has seemed to have forgotten is the $1200.00 or so it takes to get the STCW certification to work on ANY vessel that travels internationally. For ANY crew position, (stew, cook, engineer's helper, etc) on up on yachts (not sure about non-deck crew on ships these days).
Wiki says the standards are for*"masters, officers and watch personnel" only?

Tags
foreign-flagged , schengen , us citizen seeks foreign

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in