Philadelphia Marina Center shuts down April 15, 2019 - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ulladh

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-12-2019 Thread Starter

Philadelphia Marina Center shuts down April 15, 2019

I heard about this at my boat club meeting tonight, where they expect to get some slip inquiries:

https://www.philly.com/real-estate/c...-20190307.html

Comments:

150 slips, all fully rented during the season, will disappear overnight. I think that is more than the total number of slips in the remaining central Philly marinas.

20 full-time liveaboards will be displaced on about a month's notice. I'd be more sympathetic, except that they were violating the terms of their marina contract, which prohibited liveaboards.

Both Liberty Sailing Club and Liberty Sailing School kept their fleets at the marina. Will be interesting to see if they can find a place to relocate.

This is a shame, because PMC was a pretty nice place with well maintained concrete floating docks. Pier 3 and Pier 7 marinas are dumps by comparison. Penns Landing Marina is a very nice urban marina, but only for one or two night transient stays, since they have essentially no amenities or parking. And it's very small (~25 slips).

Philadelphia Marine Center is the only fuel and pump-out location in central Philadelphia. Get ready for even more raw sewage to get dumped in the Delaware since nobody will have a place to empty their holding tanks.

The nearest pump-out is at Anchorage Marina in Essington, but it NEVER WORKS because the pump mechanism is 100' away and 8' above the fuel dock. Anything in the 108' of hose from fuel dock to shore drains back into the river, causing the pump to lose its prime and malfunction. Most incompetent design in the world.

Everyone should have seen this coming after this article a couple years ago:

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/28/...delaware-river

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-13-2019

Re: Philadelphia Marina Center shuts down April 15, 2019

real shame that, major loss to the Atlantic community
post #3 of 7 Old 03-13-2019

"“We are announcing this closure now because we want to give you enough time to find new accommodations for your vessels and will work with you to help facilitate this process," Rosenberg wrote to the marina’s users."

1 month and 1 week prior to closing.....

post #4 of 7 Old 03-13-2019

Since current marina management seemed to consciously ignore the prohibition toward liveaboards, I'd say that provision was effectively waived. One has to wonder if their are any tenancy protection laws available to the live aboards. Seems awfully short notice, at least final notice. No doubt it would get expensive and very ugly for the boaters to fight. Sad.

The phenomenon to replace marinas with waterfront housing is nothing new. Obviously the economics are greater for housing or it wouldn't be done. That has me wondering why a developer couldn't have both? I suspect it has a great deal to do with how difficult it would be to get a permit for most marinas, if you tried to build one today, or move it further out, or whatever. I'm aware of one that simply wanted to extend one slip about 100ft. The local environmental folks went crazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
chuck5499 (03-13-2019)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-13-2019

Likely the cheapest way to get rid of those grandfathered liveaboards, you can bet they have legal rights regardless of contracts, just from a human rights POV.

The target market buyers would not pay top dollar with riffraff like that around
post #6 of 7 Old 03-13-2019

Articlele behind paywall.

I wonder if this could be called an “eviction.” As a landlord in Philly I previously googled “eviction Philadelphia” and found tons of sites advising tenants on their rights, NONE for landloards. You simply can not evict anyone if you don’t have a renters license, period. That takes a while to get, then you start the process. 6 months or thereabouts.

Anyway, I’m not suprised by the situation. Philly does almost nothing for the boating community. There used to be a West Marine below Penns Lsnding but they pulled out, I was told that there was too much stock “shrinkage”. AKA theft. I overheard a fellow who claimed to be the ex-manager if the Philadelphia Columbus Blvd Walmart say that it looses money due to “shrinkage”, but it’s politically correct to keep it open.

I know some people lived in that marina and were happy. We even went down to look at it but were deeply turned off by it. I personally don’t see anything there to attract me. But I feel for those who did live there and are now inconvienced.

I ended up in Delaware City Marina instead. It has its advantages and disadvantages. But it’s a safe location. Last I checked there were no live aboards anymore. Don’t know if that is policy or just because we all left or died. Never were a lot.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 03-13-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2019

On the positive side the marinas in Essington may get an influx of revenue from new customers.
Last year both the Fox Grove and Anchorage marinas where half empty.

But the major advantage that the Philadelphia Marine Center had was an easy walking distance to the vibrant neighborhoods of Northern Liberties, Old City and Society Hill, and public transit to center city Philadelphia. No other marine on the river with the exception of the small Penns Landing marine have that advantage.

Developers are driven to maximize real estate value and the City is driven to maximizing tax revenue both of which place marinas at the lower end of property values for Philadelphia.
TakeFive likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in