Bye Blackberry, Hello Samsung Apps - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 68 Old 03-23-2019

Re: Bye Blackberry, Hello Samsung Apps

Welcome to the pool, the water is warm, isn't it!

I recall similar revelations, when I gave up my BB many years ago.

I'm not a Samsung guy, but suspect it also has a typing auto-correct feature. I still have mine on (iPhone), but I know some shut it off. Without the tactile keyboard, like the BB has, typos are way more common. The problem is that auto-correct figures out the right word about half the time at best. I'm on the fence. I need to proof the text, or email, anyway, but it creates some doozies. They occasionally get out too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 Old 03-23-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

I'm not a Samsung guy, but suspect it also has a typing auto-correct feature. I still have mine on (iPhone), but I know some shut it off. Without the tactile keyboard, like the BB has, typos are way more common. The problem is that auto-correct figures out the right word about half the time at best. I'm on the fence. I need to proof the text, or email, anyway, but it creates some doozies. They occasionally get out too.
Yeah the new phone does give you three possible word choices above the keyboard as you type which saves a lot of keyboard tapping. Still I do miss the BB Keyboard but, I discovered the voice typing button on the S10. Just got to remember that it is an option after not having it on the old phone. Learning more each day and having the apps choices is going to help this sailing season.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #43 of 68 Old 03-23-2019

Quote:

Auto correct can be frustrating at first, but it does learn. You need to be patient with it. Once it is trained it is much better.

I haven't used the voice-to-text feature much. I found you have to enunciate your words very clearly or it comes up with some interesting words. I'm sure it would be very frustrating to use if you had a strong accent of any kind!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #44 of 68 Old 03-23-2019

Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #45 of 68 Old 03-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
As I usually do, at some point I installed 5-6 tides app and tried them all. Settled on one called "Tides", though couldn't tell you why.

MarineWays has free charts. If you don't mind paying Navionics is only $10/year as is slicker and more detailed. OpenCPN will give you NOAA charts for free so not sure I'd pay for others, though require a clunky download.

Windy is best wind app. There's a "fake" one called windy.app which isn't bad either, but devs of former is a bit pissed about it..

Recently tried bunch of AIS apps and kept Vessel Radar

Yr for weather. Uses the more accurate European model as opposed to NOAA data. Windy also lets you switch models btw

MS Excel and/or Onenote to keep (and sync) any logs, notes etc to all devices. I note and calculate everything, if I couln't access it everywhere I'm not sure what I'd do. Tons of notes in OneNote with shopping lists, products, project howtos, upgrades/costs, sailing destinations etc. Probably my most useful TBH.
Thanks for this. Sitting on hook in the Bahamas and your tide app is the first I have seen that shows an Abaco tide station and your weather app is great. Just calibrated my barometer with it. Thanks!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
mbianka likes this.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #46 of 68 Old 03-25-2019

Quote:
I bought too much stuff at the Mall of America and sent my wife a text complaining about having to walk the three blocks from the train to our house lugging all that crap. She texted back very nicely offering to come pick me up in the car. I texted back: Nah, Iíll walk.

Except it auto-corrected to: Nag, Iíll walk.

We got it sorted out. Weíre still married.
Minnewaska and bristol299bob like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #47 of 68 Old 03-25-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Besides "autocorrect" there is a similar feature called "autocomplete". I found that out when I noticed the phone was putting in words that I hadn't typed. Apparently, you type a couple of letters and it then drops in the complete word--of its choosing. Both features can be turned off in some menu, somewhere.

And then this morning, I realized that in Samdung's great updates, or perhaps my carrier's great knowledge of communications policies, someone has shut down the Wireless Emergency Alert system. (Often buried under "messages, setup...)

That's the deal where your carrier is supposed to notify you if WW3 started, or if the President has something special to say, or if there are Amber Alerts. Choice of three categories, you can turn off all but the Presidential ones. And you're supposed to get a test message once a month to confirm the system is working, the phone makes a uniquely unattractive warning sound to let you know about it.

About three years ago I was getting the routine "test" alerts between 2-5AM, which I did not find humorous. I did find AT&T's liaison office, where a fellow agreed that sending out tests at that hour just might lead to everyone shutting that option--effectively shutting down the system. "We'll have that fixed today, thank you."

Last year I got the urgent news that water and ice would be available at a school, 600 miles away from me, after Panama City got clocked by the hurricane. Hmm...that's local and urgent? And not even my area code or residential address or location? FCC complaint filed.

Then this morning it struck me, I haven't even heard a TEST message since then. Called TMob (bought cheap, paid dearly) and the chimp that picked up the phone had never heard of the alert program, so I said thank you, I'll just go through the FCC...they know all the good phone numbers.(G)

Which is just to say, if you are new to Android or Apple or cell phones in the US at all, there IS an Emergency Alert System, which may plague you with Amber Alerts (if I'm not sightseeing on the highway, really, am I going to see Amber?) but which could be invaluable for tornado warnings, or hurricane season, or other serious issues that could range from, literally, inbound missiles (remember the fun in Hawaii?) to Donald looking for a golf partner.

If you DO have the severe warnings enabled on your phone, and you're not getting a "business hours" test message once a month...those nice folks at the FCC will be glad to take a complaint on it, and your carrier has 30 days in which to make a written response, or they get demerits.

It is possible that SamDung's OS updates killed this, they like to enable stuff you've disabled, so they can do more datamining, but you'll find in Android that the phone makers and the carriers all swear "the other guy" did whatever is wrong.

And in SamDung's case, they've been impersonating Google apps lately. Calendar, Contacts, all sorts of apps FROM SAMSUNG turn up, and the phone tries defaulting to them, leaving it unclear just what information you're giving to who. (Because they all datamine it.) They offer call screening to slow down spam--but that also sends your entire contact list in to them, so they can sell "We can identify this caller" information to everyone. And if you've got private celebrity, politician, or even just unlisted friends phone numbers in there? Ah, yeah, they're now publicly listed.

Then there's Bixby. It is ghoulware, it is the Undead. You can't uninstall it all, you can't even turn it off and disable the button that summons it. (Well, you can force a stop--but as soon as any of the system software updates, guess what gets enabled again? And asks you to open a Samdung account, complete with contacts and backups and....all of that again.)

FWIW.
SanderO and Arcb like this.

Last edited by hellosailor; 03-25-2019 at 02:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
Arcb (03-25-2019)
post #48 of 68 Old 03-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
And in SamDung's case, they've been impersonating Google apps lately. Calendar, Contacts, all sorts of apps FROM SAMSUNG turn up, and the phone tries defaulting to them, leaving it unclear just what information you're giving to who. (Because they all datamine it.) They offer call screening to slow down spam--but that also sends your entire contact list in to them, so they can sell "We can identify this caller" information to everyone. And if you've got private celebrity, politician, or even just unlisted friends phone numbers in there? Ah, yeah, they're now publicly listed.

Then there's Bixby. It is ghoulware, it is the Undead. You can't uninstall it all, you can't even turn it off and disable the button that summons it. (Well, you can force a stop--but as soon as any of the system software updates, guess what gets enabled again? And asks you to open a Samdung account, complete with contacts and backups and....all of that again.)
FWIW.
I'm glad to see that my reasoning for never buying a samsung phone and sticking to nexus/pixel phones straight from google is still the right way to go! No bloatware BS. Good gods that sounds awful. I hate that google have a bunch of nonsense apps like news and movies that I can't delete, but samsungs is another level! Sounds like you pretty much have to root it to delete these to make it usable. It's usually easy, I've done it on a few phones. And if I can anyone can.

For keyboard you have to (!) use swiftkey. Swipe typing, and personalized word suggestions.
post #49 of 68 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

Got some more good news with this Samsung phone. For the past several years I've been having a hard time with the Blackberry on the boat at the mooring and in the boatyard. Calls where constantly dropping out or not going through it all . Especially at the mooring which is where you're really need the cell phone to work. I spent hours with Verizon trying to find why the reception and calling situation was so bad in my home port location and finally gave up since it was the end of the season. Only to be reminded the following year of how bad the situation was when I was once again on the boat.

The other day I went to the boatyard with the new phone to check up on the boat and found out all my calls went through fine and no dropped calls. Since the mooring is only about 500 feet away it gives me hope for the coming season that I'm actually be able to make some phone calls from there.

Mike

post #50 of 68 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

FWIW.
I haven't got around to play with the Bixby button yet. But, from what I can see on the Galaxy 10+ it is now programmable so you can have it call up what ever you want when pressed. I'm thinking I might use it to call up the weather radar app with just a push. Seems like a handy tool to have.

Mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in