Fake Sailors... - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 Old 03-18-2019

Re: Fake Sailors...

There’s nothing surprising about the wealthy using their money and influence to get their children into schools they don’t deserve. But the old fashioned ways were legacy admissions, alumni donations, letter of recommendation, and plain old nepotism.

What is surprising is that these people had to resort to outright bribery and fraud, and that they got caught at it.

The United States is low on the meritocracy scale; we have much lower class mobility than European nations.

There are lots of exceptions and lots of middle ground. My wife got her undergrad from a Seven Sisters school and her masters from an Ivy League. I got a simple bachelors from a state school. Her job is slightly more fun than mine, I make slightly more money than her. Her education cost an order of magnitude more than mine.

Anyway. To bring this back to sailing. What about those poor deserving sailors who didn’t get in because some stupid, rich brat took their place?!? Where are they sailing instead?
MikeOReilly and Sal Paradise like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 03-18-2019
Old soul

The only surprises are that they got caught, AND that some are now facing legal consequences. Just like the rich can buy their way into elite schools, they can also buy their way out of legal consequences.

My bet is few, if any, of those who paid this ďcharityĒ money to do their dirty deeds will face any real consequences. There will be a few Ďfall guysí but most will get off scot-free

As Minnesail just said, there are countless studies showing the USA now has one of the lowest levels of social mobility compared to other developed nations. It is now very hard for the poor to rise, and the rich to fall. The nepotism demonstrated in this story is just one of the many ways this effect happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Social mobility.png  
Minnesail and StillBreathin like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 42 Old 03-18-2019
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

post #24 of 42 Old 03-18-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Hmmm, I think this is meant as a joke Sal, but itís hard to know without a clear .
Sal Paradise likes this.

BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 42 Old 03-18-2019

Okay, where was all this "free money" when I was a penniless college sailing coach in my grad school days many many moons ago?? ;-) None of our students were recruited, and I don't believe BU would have had any way of knowing from my undergraduate application that I'd ever seen a sailboat, much less sailed one. And it was a fairly bare-bones program, though we did all right in NEISA, racing against MIT and Haaaahvid, among others.

More seriously, and if it's of any reassurance, I read in Saturday's WSJ, page A3, that according to the prosecutors, the Stanford sailing coach, who was allowed to plead to a single count of racketeering conspiracy, "didn't take any money for himself", meaning presumably it all went to the sailing program.

Likely to get probation...

Last edited by nolatom; 03-18-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #26 of 42 Old 03-18-2019
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Hmmm, I think this is meant as a joke Sal, but it’s hard to know without a clear .

Sorry Mike, there is a cultural reference there, sorry I was raised on MASH> Total joke fail.. Col. Flagg = Satire.

https://mash.fandom.com/wiki/Colonel_Sam_Flagg

" His disguises were so obvious that people generally saw through them immediately. Once, he showed up as a Chinese double agent named Ling Chow ("The Abduction of Margaret Houlihan") dressed like Benito Mussolini. Both Potter and Radar casually greeted him by name. When pressed, Radars hasty explanation was that since Flagg looked nothing like himself, it had to be him, as only Flagg had that skill. Potter asked why Flagg was dressed like an Italian wedding usher; it was only then that Flagg claimed he was the Chinese double agent Ling Chow. When Potter remarks he doesn't look Chinese, Flagg claims that "neither would Ling Chow if he was dressed like this."
MikeOReilly likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-18-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #27 of 42 Old 03-18-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Sorry Mike, there is a cultural reference there, sorry I was raised on MASH> Total joke fail.. Col. Flagg = Satire.

I figured I was lost in translation.

BLOG:
post #28 of 42 Old 03-18-2019
arrgh!

Dock

America is awesome
you can have an opinion... and don't have to have facts to back it up
and believe your opinion is fact

I guess that is what free speech is about... in a way

and now if you have money you can spend it to tell everyone your opinion is fact

Vector X Y
post #29 of 42 Old 03-18-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

America is awesome
you can have an opinion... and don't have to have facts to back it up
and believe your opinion is fact

I guess that is what free speech is about... in a way

and now if you have money you can spend it to tell everyone your opinion is fact

Oh, believe me; itís not just an American phenomena. Canada is ripe with uninformed opinionators.

And the Internet has made it so that you donít even need money to tell everyone. Fake news is now cheap and easy to disseminate.
fallard likes this.

BLOG:
post #30 of 42 Old 03-18-2019

Quote:

" His disguises were so obvious that people generally saw through them immediately. Once, he showed up as a Chinese double agent named Ling Chow ("The Abduction of Margaret Houlihan") dressed like Benito Mussolini. Both Potter and Radar casually greeted him by name. When pressed, Radars hasty explanation was that since Flagg looked nothing like himself, it had to be him, as only Flagg had that skill. Potter asked why Flagg was dressed like an Italian wedding usher; it was only then that Flagg claimed he was the Chinese double agent Ling Chow. When Potter remarks he doesn't look Chinese, Flagg claims that "neither would Ling Chow if he was dressed like this."

And when pressed, he'd say (straightfaced of course), "I'm so secret, even *I* don't know who I am...."
Sal Paradise likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in