Trinka 10 vs. 12 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 03-25-2019

Re: Trinka 10 vs. 12

Is it helpful that I think the Hartley looks like a bathtub toy and the Trinka looks like a sailing dinghy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 03-25-2019

Paul, I agree.

My thought was, if upsizing from car toppable which I consider mostly < 100 pounds to trailerable, you can afford to go bigger than 12 feet; including such boats as a Laser or a beach cat, for example.

My 16 ft beach cat for example, is fully beach launchable even at 300 pounds, drag it on and off the trailer, onto the beach and drag it down to the water. I have done exactly that dozens of times.

Here she is on her trailer; Eastern Ontario and 3 days later in Florida ready for beach launching.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1538833031327.jpg   FB_IMG_1538832918239.jpg  

Last edited by Arcb; 03-25-2019 at 08:02 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-25-2019

All good again Arcb but after re-reading the posts it still looks like the OP is interested in a Trinka 10 or 12. I am just suggesting that he not rule out the 12 because it doesn't roof top well...a trailer may be the answer. By the way, you are obviously pretty strong to be able to wrestle that catamaran down and especially up the beach.

post #14 of 18 Old 03-25-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Is it helpful that I think the Hartley looks like a bathtub toy and the Trinka looks like a sailing dinghy?
Totally agree, the Hartley is homely

My thoughts were that a rotomould hull would do better when being launched/loaded from a dolly on the rocky beach in my neighborhood.

The owner of Trinka told me to be careful with rotamould because it's impossible to repair, unlike fiberglass.

Stability is also important to me. What boat would be more stable? My wife and kids would prefer to stay upright as much as possible. The Trinka has a daggerboard, the Hartley a centerboard. I've never sailed a boat with a daggerboard.

Also, the Hartley has a jib, the Trinka only a main. I will be sailing mostly single handed initially until the kids get older. Any idea how the Trinka performs with a main only?

Chris
post #15 of 18 Old 03-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdds View Post

My thoughts were that a rotomould hull would do better when being launched/loaded from a dolly on the rocky beach...

The owner of Trinka told me to be careful with rotamould because it's impossible to repair, unlike fiberglass.
My rotomold Walker Bay is a tough boat, as is my my rotomold Sea Kayak. Both boats are used hard and put away wet. Rotomolding seems to be the way most non performance oriented small boats are going. Its tough and cheap to produce. 30-40 years ago this debate existed in the white water kayaking community. You can't buy a fibreglass white water boat now, rotomolded hulls just bounce off rocks so much better. Some designs where the manufacturers expects heavy beach wear will have a sacrificial keel that can be replaced, rotomolded plastic does abrade, which affects boat speed over time.

I also routinely beach both my fibreglass boats on sand and mud, I dont know how keen I would be on beaching fibreglass boats on rock.

If I was playing around rocks, there is no doubt I would go with rotomold. Same thing with dagger boards vs centreboards. You hit a rock with a daggerboard, the whole boat shudders. You can break the daggerboard as well as the daggerboard housing. Centreboards mostly just kick up when you hit something.

I am not sure which boat would be more stable.

I wouldnt worry about the Cat Rig on the Trinka. Cat rigs may not be as fast up wind as sloops, but they are nice to sail. Tacking means pushing the rudder, no string pulling. Some times, if you have kids in the boat especially, less string pulling is a good thing.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-26-2019

Quote:
Totally agree, the Hartley is homely

S

Chris
it can be repaired if it is made of the newer linear Polyethylene. crossed linked polyethylene can not be repaired

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #17 of 18 Old 03-26-2019

Quote:
...Stability is also important to me. What boat would be more stable? My wife and kids would prefer to stay upright as much as possible. The Trinka has a daggerboard, the Hartley a centerboard. I've never sailed a boat with a daggerboard.
Iím not really familiar with the Hartley, but if it has an unballasted swing centerboard, I donít think there is any theoretical difference between the two. They defend against leeway, not really vertical stability. These boats are going to be tippy, but the forces in the mainsheet are simple to dump. Youíll sail any dinghy with the mainsheet in your hand at all times.

Quote:
Also, the Hartley has a jib, the Trinka only a main. I will be sailing mostly single handed initially until the kids get older. Any idea how the Trinka performs with a main only?
One sail is obviously easier than two, when singlehanded. The purpose of the jib in these smaller boats is to learn and practice, more than significantly change performance. IMO. I would bet the Hartley points higher, but who really cares. Where are you going in a sailing dinghy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-26-2019

My first sailboat was a sunfish which I cartopped. I was younger and stronger and did not do it much because it was a total pain to get on and off my 3/4 truck. The easier it is to launch the more you will go sailing. Whatever you get, get a trailer for it.

If you want to be able to mand handle it, consider a nesting dinghy.

PT Eleven Nesting Dinghy home page

Or the CLC version of this.

https://www.clcboats.com/modules/cat...nesting-dinghy

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in