Really good movie with well done sailing scenes - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 64 Old 03-26-2019
Seasoned Salt

Re: Really good movie with well done sailing scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If anyone identifies an online way to see this movie (preferably legal), please post it. I’d like to watch it. Not on Netflix.

FWIW, it is currently at the Avalon Theater in Washinton, DC
MarkofSeaLife and ThereYouAre like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trekka CSY33
The Following User Says Thank You to Trekka For This Useful Post:
Samw90 (03-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 Old 03-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
FWIW, it is currently at the Avalon Theater in Washinton, DC
Thanks. That would be a long way for date night. I checked our local independent film theater and it's not even on their radar for the next several months.

I found one online source, however, it gave me a screen saying copyright or some such prevented them from streaming it to the USA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 64 Old 03-26-2019

[url]http://yftcabinet.com.my/[murl]

wp-content/uploads/movie_65923_1080p_MPEG2.torrent

[I edited and cut that link as it has no explanation. If it's a torrent link breaking copyright then it's not right for us to leave it up. Sorry.
Mark]

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 03-29-2019 at 02:17 AM.

post #14 of 64 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter
Administrator

I had assumed that someone like Netflix or Hulu would have the movie. I also assumed it might be on some kind of limited release to art theaters and festivals since I saw it at a festival. I did a quick search online and I only found a few mentions of it showing in the States and no reference to it with the screening services.

I have to assume that there is some kind of copyright or distribution issue, but I would be surprised that would be an issue for very long given the strong positive press reviews. This could easily be a successful general circulation movie.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #15 of 64 Old 03-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Shiva has all the "mast" lines led to the coach roof under the dodger. She also as a Spinlock rope clutch where the main halyard exits. Of course it has to be opened to let the halyard drop. And the clutch is used when raising the main at the mast.

Now that I use a drill w/ winch bit in the cockpit I use the coach roof winch. Mast mounted clutch is left open or simply bypassed.

It certainly is much easier to raise the big heavy many MANUALLY from the mast.
My setup is just like SanderO’s. Before adding single line reefing and leading the main halyard back to the cockpit, I would manually raise the main at the mast. Not a difficult task when the winds are reasonable.

But when we led everything back, the added drag raising the main was noticeable, more so because a short winch handle was required to clear the dodger. The drag from the reef lines was also significant—even with Karver blocks on the main. After a couple of years we bought a Winchrite “Cordless Winch Handle” which made life a whole lot easier. The Winchrite is pricey, but it is a well-engineered, slick piece of gear.
post #16 of 64 Old 03-27-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
This boat has all of the halyards led back to the cockpit, yet whenever the skipper raises the main halyard you see her doing so from the mast. I have heard of people who prefer to do that even though the halyards are led aft with the idea that there is typically less friction that way.

Jeff

I would think its a cheat to show more action. Its a wonderful shot watching a person haul down and the sail go up.
Most day charter tourist cruise boats get the clients up on deck hauling the sail up... obviously not needed but looks and feels great.

Doing it alone leaves a huge puddle of tangled halyard to then pull through 2 or 3 bocks till its in the cockpit. Few would love that

No solo sailor would want the halyard at the mast and reefing lines in the cockpit. could you imagine that!?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #17 of 64 Old 03-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
XXXXXXXhttp://yftcabinet.com.my/wp-content/uploads/movie_65923_1080p_MPEG2.torrent
I broke the link, so no one would click on it in my reply. My anti-virus software says this link distributes malware. What were you trying to post.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 64 Old 03-27-2019

A torrent file to DL the film, just plaintext can't hurt anything.
post #19 of 64 Old 03-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
A torrent file to DL the film, just plaintext can't hurt anything.
I didn't know what a torrent file was, so I looked it up. Says they can be used to illegally download copyrighted material. If that's the case, I'm not going to do it. I'm happy to pay the vig to watch what sounds like a good movie.

If it's somehow a link to legal access, please let me know. Thanks.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #20 of 64 Old 03-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I didn't know what a torrent file was, so I looked it up. Says they can be used to illegally download copyrighted material. If that's the case, I'm not going to do it. I'm happy to pay the vig to watch what sounds like a good movie.

If it's somehow a link to legal access, please let me know. Thanks.
Apple store has it listed as Pre-order, so I am guessing it is not out in general release yet—expected July 2, 2019 (although that's the Canadian store so who really knows).

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in