Really good movie with well done sailing scenes - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 64 Old 04-02-2019

Re: Really good movie with well done sailing scenes

Wow, that was weird. Some people see ghosts around every corner.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to when it's available for streaming this summer. It sounds like a really interesting movie.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 64 Old 04-02-2019 Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Perfect call...��

Just tell me what does rampantness mean....I don't speak Austrailian well
I would assume that it means the quality of assuming a posture marked by a menacing wildness, extravagance, or absence of restraint.

Now, Back to the program in progress.....
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #53 of 64 Old 04-02-2019

Speaking of sailing movies, The Mercy is available for streaming now. I watched it recently on either Netflix or Prime Video. Big time movie stars (Colin Firth, Rachel Weisz), and I thought a faithful (for the most part) adaptation of "The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst". Some of the sailing scenes were, ahem, better than others, but the movie as a whole was a very good representation of the dread Crowhurst must have felt leaving so unprepared, the pressure he felt to do so, and the increasing strain and stress that eventually drove him mad.

Like Jeff's movie, The Mercy isn't really a "sailing" movie (not much of a market there), but a movie that uses sailing as a backdrop to explore other themes.
Jeff_H, Minnesail and mbianka like this.

post #54 of 64 Old 04-04-2019
Seasoned Salt

FWIW the movie, Styx, is now showing in Baltimore at the Parkway Theater. This is the old movie palace that was renovated and is home of the Maryland Film Festival which operates it.
chef2sail and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trekka CSY33
post #55 of 64 Old 04-04-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I would assume that it means the quality of assuming a posture marked by a menacing wildness, extravagance, or absence of restraint.

Now, Back to the program in progress.....
Now itís perfectly clear........lol....not

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #56 of 64 Old 04-12-2019

A previous owner set up our Valiant 40 with all main sail lines running aft to the cockpit. I rarely use the halyard from the cockpit. It is faster and easier for me to raise the main halyard from the mast, by using my body weight then, if needed, put a few wraps on the 2-speed winch, mounted on the mast, crank as needed, then cleat it off at the mast, as is traditional. For me, pulling backwards from the aft cabin bulkhead then crank, crank, cranking on the winch,to get the rest of the main sail up takes too long and is more effort. Reefing, I have to go forward anyway to put the dogbone on the reef hook and all that reefing process for the tack is easier aligned with the halyard control at the mast.
post #57 of 64 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
A previous owner set up our Valiant 40 with all main sail lines running aft to the cockpit. I rarely use the halyard from the cockpit. It is faster and easier for me to raise the main halyard from the mast, by using my body weight then, if needed, put a few wraps on the 2-speed winch, mounted on the mast, crank as needed, then cleat it off at the mast, as is traditional. For me, pulling backwards from the aft cabin bulkhead then crank, crank, cranking on the winch,to get the rest of the main sail up takes too long and is more effort. Reefing, I have to go forward anyway to put the dogbone on the reef hook and all that reefing process for the tack is easier aligned with the halyard control at the mast.
You don't have all the strings for the main led aft. A two line reefing set up would have a separate line to haul down and secure the tack. With your boat set up the way it is, you do have to go forward to hook the tack cringe. My question is why, set it up with a separate line for the tack and you can stay in the cockpit snugly and securely taking care of the reefing. I don't understand the pleasure of going forward in lousy conditions hanging on for dear life to do any of the reefing chores. As they say, 'if it doesn't kill you, it lets you tell about it later.'
Minnesail likes this.
post #58 of 64 Old 04-12-2019

Its a large ish main sail...to consider.
Gonna winch down the reefing lines....?
post #59 of 64 Old 07-05-2019

I just watched the movie tonight. I thought it was very well done. Loved the early sailing scenes, but as Jeff said, the real plot is more of a moral analysis. Although, the sailing does seem authentic. Itís not going to be a major blockbuster, but it makes you think. Thatís good entertainment.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #60 of 64 Old 07-05-2019

This clearly isn't a sailing movie. It's is, in fact, a refugee-crisis movie, with a sailboat as the stage. I don't doubt that it's well-done, and pushes the buttons that it intends to push.

As for the boat, seems smaller than 40 feet, though it has an absolutely giant wheel for a boat that size. Would love to know what kind it is.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in