Really good movie with well done sailing scenes - SailNet Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 03-25-2019 Thread Starter
Administrator

Really good movie with well done sailing scenes

This weekend I saw the movie "Styx" at the Annapolis Film Festival. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5942864/ In this movie a woman doctor single-hands her boat (appears to be a roughly 40 foot Grand Soleil) from Gibraltar towards Ascension Island off of Africa. The movie does a very realistic job of showing what it is like to be at sea alone (something very few movies seem to get right). The cinematography is beautiful as well, and is used to set context in very creative ways and seemingly putting you on board without makng a 'look at how good a photographer I am' kind of a statement. While this is a good sailing movie, it is the ethical non-sailing issues raised by this movie that really separate it from being simply a good sailing movie (in a very moving and thought-provoking way.) In all ways, this is everything that the movie 'All is Lost' was not.

For what it is worth, this is a 2018 European movie but it is mostly in English. I think that it has a limited release in the US showing perhaps only at film festivals and at art-house movie theaters but it may be available through some of the streaming services or other online sources.

And while there were almost no scenes which seemed inauthentic or contrived, there is one very minor sailing item that left me wondering. This boat has all of the halyards led back to the cockpit, yet whenever the skipper raises the main halyard you see her doing so from the mast. I have heard of people who prefer to do that even though the halyards are led aft with the idea that there is typically less friction that way. That works well when there is someone in the cockpit to tail. But it does not work well when single-handing since there is no way to tie off the halyard once its up. Sometimes single-handers who do that have a cam cleat on the mast that allows them to temporarily belay the halyard and then the geometry of the mast exit box and turning block releases the halyard from the cleat when the halyard is tensioned from the cockpit. I did not see that set up on this boat and wondered if anyone else who sees the movie has any idea why they show the main halyard being raised from the mast.

Jeff
Trekka, eherlihy, SanderO and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-25-2019 at 04:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
skygazer (03-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 03-25-2019

Rope clutch on mast.
Much less friction and faster for 1st 80% of main. Then crank from cockpit
post #3 of 64 Old 03-25-2019

Re: Really good movie with well done sailing scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
This weekend I saw the movie "Styx" at the Annapolis Film Festival. ....

This boat has all of the halyards led back to the cockpit, yet whenever the skipper raises the main halyard you see her doing so from the mast. I have heard of people who prefer to do that even though the halyards are led aft with the idea that there is typically less friction that way. That works well when there is someone in the cockpit to tail. But it does not work well when single-handing since there is no way to tie off the halyard once its up. Sometimes single-handers who do that have a cam cleat on the mast that allows them to temporarily belay the halyard and then the geometry of the mast exit box and turning block releases the halyard from the cleat when the halyard is tensioned from the cockpit. I did not see that set up on this boat and wondered if anyone else who sees the movie has any idea why they show the main halyard being raised from the mast.

Jeff
Shiva has all the "mast" lines led to the coach roof under the dodger. She also as a Spinlock rope clutch where the main halyard exits. Of course it has to be opened to let the halyard drop. And the clutch is used when raising the main at the mast.

Now that I use a drill w/ winch bit in the cockpit I use the coach roof winch. Mast mounted clutch is left open or simply bypassed.

It certainly is much easier to raise the big heavy many MANUALLY from the mast.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
bigdogandy (03-25-2019)

post #4 of 64 Old 03-25-2019 Thread Starter
Administrator

Thank you both for the quick answer. The boat in the movie did not seem to have a rope clutch or a cam cleat on the mast. But since you both have the same set up, I have another question for you both; When you are sailing, do you leave the handle on the clutch open, or do you go to the mast to release it when you want to ease the halyard or drop the mainsail?

Thank you,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 64 Old 03-25-2019

If anyone identifies an online way to see this movie (preferably legal), please post it. I’d like to watch it. Not on Netflix.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 64 Old 03-25-2019

Can get the mains up more that 2/3rds of the way from the cockpit before needing the winch on my two boats with main halyard led aft. Do a little better at the mast but not enough to make it the go to way to raise the main. Almost always raise the sail from the cockpit. You are right, do need a way to stop the halyard when working at the mast. Installed a clutch at the mast to solve the problem. Find the clutch really handy as there are a lot of times I need to stop the main halyard at the mast when doing other than raising the sail. Lowering and flaking the sail single handed is easier from the mast and requires multiple lowering of the sail, stopping it, flaking the sail, tieing it off, and lowering it some more. Usually only do that when getting ready to put the sail cover on as the Lazy Jacks take care of just dropping the sail. Boats are 28' and 35', might be different for a larger boat.

Have a feeling that the predominance of scenes working the main halyard at the mast might be for dramatic effect than need. Hauling on the halyard standing at the mast makes for a better picture.
post #7 of 64 Old 03-25-2019

Its quicker to lower at mast too...no tides track here.
Need to set at reef hook anyway.
post #8 of 64 Old 03-25-2019

Halyard reef marks for mast clutch
post #9 of 64 Old 03-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Thank you both for the quick answer. The boat in the movie did not seem to have a rope clutch or a cam cleat on the mast. But since you both have the same set up, I have another question for you both; When you are sailing, do you leave the handle on the clutch open, or do you go to the mast to release it when you want to ease the halyard or drop the mainsail?

Thank you,
Jeff
Actually I was incorrect the jib halyard has the spinloc. The main halyard has a jam cleat which I usually just bypass to the side.. But if the line is running through the cleat I would have to lift it out to lower the sail. In practice this means I don't need someone to tail or remove the pile. I do that from the cockpit and winch it up tight with the line bypassing the cleat. Then it is free to run reefing or dropping and I don't have to go to there mast.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #10 of 64 Old 03-25-2019

There's a good review of it in the Times:
‘Styx’ Review: The Refugee Crisis as Moral Thriller

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in