End of Life Plan - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

Re: End of Life Plan

I was a neurologist. AD is number 1 and diffuse Lewy body #2 if one isn’t counting vascular dementia. However one must consider the person and the impact on quality of life. Of course when the person is in a vegetative state the game is over but some folks have a reasonable quality of life well into the course of their illness to the point that they and their caregivers both continue to enjoy their presence. Blanket statements are inappropriate in my view. Real issue is went there’s no primary care giver who knew and loved that person. Or when the long term partner is also cognitively impaired. Living wills and advance directives are worthwhile but not encompass all the questions regardless of how detailed.
My wife and I have had this conversation. We have it repetitively about once or twice a year. We’ve done the lawyer thing. Only place we ran into trouble was I want a Viking funeral. They are illegal in Massachusetts. However we have a plan so we’re good. Just need to be inventive.
If one wants to worry explore the natural history of frontal temporal dementia. That will torture your life partner and kids although you may be totally unaware of the degree and impact of your impairment.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 03-31-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

It will change. The pandemonium predicted by those against death with dignity laws in the Pac Northwest has not materialized. People are coming around to the notion that how to fight death, or stop the fight is deeply personal. So far, only liberal governments have pushed such laws but polling indicates that the support may be less partisan.
Minnesail likes this.

Renae
post #23 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I intend on buying 5 hits of window pane or orange barrel and self medicating to go out with a smile on my face. I Want to be finally remembered the Viking way and want to be put on Haleakula pushed out into the Bay and lit on fire.
Minnesail, Towguy and ThereYouAre like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-31-2019 at 05:08 PM.

post #24 of 58 Old 03-31-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I live on a sailboat in the Eastern Caribbean. I know of two people single men who got too creaky to get around much and definitely could no longer sail or manage the dinghy. Both married young island girls who looked after them till they went.

One of these girls now runs a very successful business in Bequia.

I am 71 and accept that there will come a day when I can't manage my 44 ft boat.

What to do then well I will deal with it when it comes.

A bungalow in Bognor, a beachfront shack in Hamilton Bequia, a slate cottage on Easdale Island or maybe marriage to 16 year old dusky maiden who can look after me on the boat, who knows what tomorrow will bring.
jephotog, davidpm, mbianka and 1 others like this.
post #25 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

Eew.
Minnesail likes this.

Renae
post #26 of 58 Old 03-31-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
It will change. The pandemonium predicted by those against death with dignity laws in the Pac Northwest has not materialized. People are coming around to the notion that how to fight death, or stop the fight is deeply personal. So far, only liberal governments have pushed such laws but polling indicates that the support may be less partisan.
I’m sure you’re aware, but Canada legalized medically assisted death a few years ago (after our Supreme Court struck down the laws prohibiting the practice). As you say, the pandemonium predicted by some has not materialized. Much like with legalized cannabis, the impact has been slight — except for the small number of people who now avail themselves of a dignified death.

Personally, I can never see me choosing this route. I plan to rage against the darkness until my last. I am not concerned about physical deterioration. That will happen. But serious dementia of the scale where I lose myself — that is what concerns me the most.

In that state, the apartment with the door facing to open air, or perhaps some form of a ‘final sail’, makes sense to me.
scubadoo and mbianka like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 03-31-2019 at 09:39 PM.
post #27 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

Canadian law sounds good but is double paper work. Phase one states intent, give permission and gives doctor permission to inject. This when you are of sound mind ,etc and aimed at a future date when you feel it's finally time to exit. But now phase two kicks in and process must be repeated to insure it's still what you want. Are you still of sound mind ?
post #28 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

I think about slocum. Believe he in effect suicided (much like death by cop). Believe he did that because of his love for his family and the lose of his world. Think his around the world alone was another manifestation of his love.
Stay active, limit alcohol, constantly learn new things and most importantly choose the right parents and youíll be fine.
Iím less worried about this. Have the right apo e alleles. Mom was fine into her late 90s. Dad showed mild cognitive impairment at 86 when he passed.
Pass the turmeric please. This curry needs more.
davidpm, mbianka and wymbly1971 like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #29 of 58 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter

Since we are having this discussion don't forget about POLST.

Much more comprehensive than DNR.

I'm suspicious of all things government but was impressed with how well thought out the POLST is.

https://dailycaring.com/which-end-of...-polst-vs-dnr/
mbianka likes this.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #30 of 58 Old 04-01-2019

Like POLST but if possible a health proxy is best. Do both. You canít cover all possibilities but having someone who loves you speak for you can.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in