End of Life Plan - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 Old 04-04-2019
Old soul

Re: End of Life Plan

Interesting how many of us here have personal tales of serious brushes with the great beyond. Makes me wonder how common this is amongst sailors and cruisers.
theluckyone17 likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 Old 04-04-2019

Re: End of Life Pla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoSailor View Post
My plan is. Sometime after age 95...is to be shot by a jealous husband
Reminds me of our old member, Travelin easy, who,used to say that till he could hardly breath. Anyone heard how the old coot is doing? I suspect his lung disease is progressing. Hes not been around for awhile.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #53 of 58 Old 04-05-2019

Traveling Easy is still active on Cruisers Forum. He just sold one of his 4 boats. He and Wife are having medical issues IIRC. One of my favorite posters.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

post #54 of 58 Old 04-05-2019
Dave

Best laid plans...
I am 71, have loved sailing all my life. My wife of 35 years succumbed to cancer 4 years ago and we often talked of going together. Also she said if that failed she did not want me to be alone like she was before we met. She called me her landlocked sailor as I gave it up to be with her.
I sat by her side for the 3 months it took for her to pass at home under hospice care and pain medication. It was painful but I feel I followed her wishes.
Our plans were for me to carry on and find a new mate and go back to sailing.
However, during my depression her daughter (from a previous marraige) whom I treated as my own managed to cheat me out of our 2 houses, all my personal belongings, and half my liquid assets.
I went on to find a woman who knew all the right things to say, married her a year later and after she spent the rest of my money; moved out of my bedroom and refused further intimacy.
I saved a little and moved to Florida still in pursuit of sailing but on a much smaller scale. That said, Costa Rica banks refused to acknowledge my request to wire money to my US bank (claiming they did not understand) so I had the money in cash on my person. Checking into the hotel in Saunders FL, a young man took off with my jacket containing my money. He was caught but not before the money disappeared.
To start from scratch on FL with only SS is harder than I anticipated, especially at my age. So seems the end of my sailing dream.
I am currently at my brothers in Utah and although I dream of resuming my quest (though it seems doubtful with my current situation) I find myself often contemplating the end and cursing myself for being too trusting of family, friends, and people in general.
Why would anyone want to prolong this struggle to be happy or try to follow a dream.
I used to be a loving, trusting, romantic until life smacked me with a crowbar.

Trust no family member where money is concerned and the government only when you can die to avoid them.
post #55 of 58 Old 04-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowersda View Post
Best laid plans...
I am 71, have loved sailing all my life. My wife of 35 years succumbed to cancer 4 years ago and we often talked of going together. Also she said if that failed she did not want me to be alone like she was before we met. She called me her landlocked sailor as I gave it up to be with her.
I sat by her side for the 3 months it took for her to pass at home under hospice care and pain medication. It was painful but I feel I followed her wishes.
Our plans were for me to carry on and find a new mate and go back to sailing.
However, during my depression her daughter (from a previous marraige) whom I treated as my own managed to cheat me out of our 2 houses, all my personal belongings, and half my liquid assets.
I went on to find a woman who knew all the right things to say, married her a year later and after she spent the rest of my money; moved out of my bedroom and refused further intimacy.
I saved a little and moved to Florida still in pursuit of sailing but on a much smaller scale. That said, Costa Rica banks refused to acknowledge my request to wire money to my US bank (claiming they did not understand) so I had the money in cash on my person. Checking into the hotel in Saunders FL, a young man took off with my jacket containing my money. He was caught but not before the money disappeared.
To start from scratch on FL with only SS is harder than I anticipated, especially at my age. So seems the end of my sailing dream.
I am currently at my brothers in Utah and although I dream of resuming my quest (though it seems doubtful with my current situation) I find myself often contemplating the end and cursing myself for being too trusting of family, friends, and people in general.
Why would anyone want to prolong this struggle to be happy or try to follow a dream.
I used to be a loving, trusting, romantic until life smacked me with a crowbar.

Trust no family member where money is concerned and the government only when you can die to avoid them.
WOW... what a story...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #56 of 58 Old 04-06-2019
Captain Obvious

Great first post.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #57 of 58 Old 04-06-2019

Write a bestseller
post #58 of 58 Old 04-06-2019

Very unfortunately I know of another example. Only Daughter, bank manager, got Mom and Dad to sigb some papers, just legal stuff. It was a mortgage on their house. She took the money and disappeared. Mom and Dad lost the house. Never heard from Daughter again. I’m sure I don’t know the whole story but anyway you look at it, it’s horribly sad. She was their shining light, I knew her at birth, she was the first baby I ever held.

I’ve 4 kids myself, they run the full gamut. You would be hard pressed to know they were even remotely related. Just the way it works sometimes.
mbianka likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 04-06-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in