SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   End of Life Plan (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/329012-end-life-plan.html)

davidpm 03-30-2019 10:47 PM

End of Life Plan

My mother died last year, mother in law the year before, my father is on the way out now. My uncle is suffering a lot from cancer.

It got me thinking. I'm not sure I like the idea of slowly wasting away.

In all four cases, the quality of life either diminished or is diminishing to the point where there is no detectable joy.

Do we have no other choice?

Near the end of their sailing career, the Pardies claimed that they did not carry an EPIRB because they figured they didn't want to risk the lives of some young coast guard guy to save their old bones. Sounds hard-core but perhaps better than a nursing home. As it worked out apparently Larry is in a nursing home and Lyn is sailing again.

I've always wanted to see the southern ocean, it's supposed to be particularly breezy in the winter.

The will to survive is strong but the more I see of old-age and nursing homes and hospice and hospitals the less I like the looks of it.

Has anyone else thought of the last sail option?

Capt Len 03-30-2019 11:24 PM

Re: End of Life Plan

Perhaps I could interest you in investing in my latest franchise concept. A euthanasia spa and boutique. WE offer friendly family orientated service less expensively than a one way ticket to Switzerland . Also popular is the mail ordered fentanyl laced Nanaimo Bar. Satisfaction is guaranteed .Larry and I were at a party a few years ago .We both sat a lot but I wager neither of us could see the future unfold like it did so quickly.

Rmaddy 03-30-2019 11:36 PM

I am hopeful that the arguments against self-determination in death in cases of untreatable disease is wrapping up. I don't personally believe that people should be forced to bear suffering that we would not allow our pets to experience.

elliowb 03-30-2019 11:39 PM

Better to be shark food than plant fertilizer.

mbianka 03-31-2019 12:36 AM

My gal and I often say the ideal way to go is to be struck by lightning while snorkeling.

From the President of the United States
To the lowliest rock and roll star
The doctor is in and he'll see you now
He don't care who you are
Some get the awful, awful diseases
Some get the knife, some get the gun
Some get to die in their sleep
At the age of a hundred and one

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon

MarkofSeaLife 03-31-2019 01:53 AM

I don't want to die "doing what I love".
Drowning doesn't sound like fun.
Nicely drugged out in a nursing home sounds fine to me as I know I have finished with this life.
But the one last sail concept is a bit like jumping off a bridge... You get half way down and think "hang on a moment, maybe another Scotch first"?

Those in total pain are a different story and they should have some right to tick some box. But I don't want to be in a coma sweetly dreaming and someone who wants my bed cuts me off.

Mark

Minnewaska 03-31-2019 06:28 AM

I believe it's much easier for one to say they'd like to go down with the ship than bears any resemblance to the actual terror they'd experience in the moment. It's fantasy, IMO.

Even the myth of dying in one's sleep is often not true. You find them peacefully deceased the next morning, but you have no way to know they didn't awake to the temporary terror of their heart attack and inability to breath.

The below is a great article. I don't fully agree with it, as there are many I know that live rich lives past 75, after treating minor ailments that might otherwise have killed them. Still, it's very thought provoking.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/

MarkofSeaLife 03-31-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051592780)
Still, it's very thought provoking.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/

Thought provoking?

Or is it clickbait?
Some guy who looks 65 and has just climbed Mt Kilimanjaro - a distinctly difficult climb. I met a triathaleate about 35 years old only a week ago who had to have 2 porters drag her up the last part, and this journalis de clickbait says he just did it unassisted?

Me thinks hes fibbing to get people to read his article. If not, his thoughts are an insult to the older fit mob. My Aunt is 95 and on the computer every day, still involved in politics... and just bought a new Mercedes Coupe in which she was caught for speeding (no, she didnt need tears to get out of the fine, she just smiled sweetly and told the cop how good looking he was...). She has more antz in her pantz than the dude in this article by a long way!

Vivre vie!

Minnewaska 03-31-2019 08:10 AM

No question the article is designed to get you to read it. The overall point is not about the few that get to live long, productive, independent lives. I recall he acknowledges that happens. It's the majority whose lives are extended in nursing homes or as full burden to their kids.

As I said, I don't fully agree with him. But the idea that we are just nursing along the infirmed, with zero quality of life, is much more likely the case than your Auntie. I hope to live long enough to need this kind of care, suggesting I got the chance to maximize life's experiences. Once I check in, I'm going to have a bottle of wine per day and eat all the sugar I want. Probably have a few cigars along the way too.

I don't think we'll see legalized euthanasia in the US in our lifetime. As the author says, it's hard to distinguish mental health from physical health. However, and this is a huge however, our hospice solution is essentially the same. Once you are nearly terminal, we load you up with morphine to "manage your pain", but it's distinctly your body's inability to deal with the toxic opiate that actually kills you.

hpeer 03-31-2019 09:30 AM

A friend had an accident and ended up in a “rehab” center that was transitioning from the aged to a wider clientele.

After a few weeks there he and his wife came up with the “barcolounger pact”. When one of them was confined to a barcolounger the other was to pull the plug.