End of Life Plan - SailNet Community
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 03-30-2019 Thread Starter

End of Life Plan

My mother died last year, mother in law the year before, my father is on the way out now. My uncle is suffering a lot from cancer.

It got me thinking. I'm not sure I like the idea of slowly wasting away.

In all four cases, the quality of life either diminished or is diminishing to the point where there is no detectable joy.

Do we have no other choice?

Near the end of their sailing career, the Pardies claimed that they did not carry an EPIRB because they figured they didn't want to risk the lives of some young coast guard guy to save their old bones. Sounds hard-core but perhaps better than a nursing home. As it worked out apparently Larry is in a nursing home and Lyn is sailing again.

I've always wanted to see the southern ocean, it's supposed to be particularly breezy in the winter.

The will to survive is strong but the more I see of old-age and nursing homes and hospice and hospitals the less I like the looks of it.

Has anyone else thought of the last sail option?

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 03-30-2019

Re: End of Life Plan

Perhaps I could interest you in investing in my latest franchise concept. A euthanasia spa and boutique. WE offer friendly family orientated service less expensively than a one way ticket to Switzerland . Also popular is the mail ordered fentanyl laced Nanaimo Bar. Satisfaction is guaranteed .Larry and I were at a party a few years ago .We both sat a lot but I wager neither of us could see the future unfold like it did so quickly.
jephotog, davidpm and mbianka like this.

Last edited by Capt Len; 03-30-2019 at 11:29 PM.
post #3 of 58 Old 03-30-2019

I am hopeful that the arguments against self-determination in death in cases of untreatable disease is wrapping up. I don't personally believe that people should be forced to bear suffering that we would not allow our pets to experience.
davidpm, edguy3, cthoops and 4 others like this.

Renae

post #4 of 58 Old 03-30-2019

Better to be shark food than plant fertilizer.
davidpm and mbianka like this.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #5 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

My gal and I often say the ideal way to go is to be struck by lightning while snorkeling.

From the President of the United States
To the lowliest rock and roll star
The doctor is in and he'll see you now
He don't care who you are
Some get the awful, awful diseases
Some get the knife, some get the gun
Some get to die in their sleep
At the age of a hundred and one

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
jephotog, davidpm and Sal Paradise like this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 03-31-2019 at 12:42 AM.
post #6 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

Dock

I don't want to die "doing what I love".
Drowning doesn't sound like fun.
Nicely drugged out in a nursing home sounds fine to me as I know I have finished with this life.
But the one last sail concept is a bit like jumping off a bridge... You get half way down and think "hang on a moment, maybe another Scotch first"?

Those in total pain are a different story and they should have some right to tick some box. But I don't want to be in a coma sweetly dreaming and someone who wants my bed cuts me off.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

I believe it's much easier for one to say they'd like to go down with the ship than bears any resemblance to the actual terror they'd experience in the moment. It's fantasy, IMO.

Even the myth of dying in one's sleep is often not true. You find them peacefully deceased the next morning, but you have no way to know they didn't awake to the temporary terror of their heart attack and inability to breath.

The below is a great article. I don't fully agree with it, as there are many I know that live rich lives past 75, after treating minor ailments that might otherwise have killed them. Still, it's very thought provoking.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/
Sal Paradise and mbianka like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Still, it's very thought provoking.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/
Thought provoking?

Or is it clickbait?
Some guy who looks 65 and has just climbed Mt Kilimanjaro - a distinctly difficult climb. I met a triathaleate about 35 years old only a week ago who had to have 2 porters drag her up the last part, and this journalis de clickbait says he just did it unassisted?

Me thinks hes fibbing to get people to read his article. If not, his thoughts are an insult to the older fit mob. My Aunt is 95 and on the computer every day, still involved in politics... and just bought a new Mercedes Coupe in which she was caught for speeding (no, she didnt need tears to get out of the fine, she just smiled sweetly and told the cop how good looking he was...). She has more antz in her pantz than the dude in this article by a long way!

Vivre vie!
mbianka and wymbly1971 like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

No question the article is designed to get you to read it. The overall point is not about the few that get to live long, productive, independent lives. I recall he acknowledges that happens. It's the majority whose lives are extended in nursing homes or as full burden to their kids.

As I said, I don't fully agree with him. But the idea that we are just nursing along the infirmed, with zero quality of life, is much more likely the case than your Auntie. I hope to live long enough to need this kind of care, suggesting I got the chance to maximize life's experiences. Once I check in, I'm going to have a bottle of wine per day and eat all the sugar I want. Probably have a few cigars along the way too.

I don't think we'll see legalized euthanasia in the US in our lifetime. As the author says, it's hard to distinguish mental health from physical health. However, and this is a huge however, our hospice solution is essentially the same. Once you are nearly terminal, we load you up with morphine to "manage your pain", but it's distinctly your body's inability to deal with the toxic opiate that actually kills you.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 58 Old 03-31-2019

A friend had an accident and ended up in a “rehab” center that was transitioning from the aged to a wider clientele.

After a few weeks there he and his wife came up with the “barcolounger pact”. When one of them was confined to a barcolounger the other was to pull the plug.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in