I sold my boat today... - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter

I sold my boat today...

...but fortunately I still have three others...

Unfortunately the Phantom may be next to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Trophy 15.jpg   BreakinAwayAnchored2018.jpg   Dinghy.JPG   Phantom.jpg  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-31-2019

Re: I sold my boat today...

why?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 25 Old 03-31-2019

Down to 3 boats. Sounds like you are getting out of the hobby.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
why?
Too many toys, not enough time. Things deteriorate if left unused too long.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #5 of 25 Old 03-31-2019

Sold 3 motorcycles, two cars and a house. Replacing the house now. Used to look forward to passage. This year leaving her in Grenada. But sounds like youíre a lifelong sailor. The passion mutates but with a salty sailor like you rarely dies.
So expect
To see you on the water!

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6 of 25 Old 04-01-2019

TF, I can't tell which you sold, because the pics are not downloading the way you put them in your post. The stinkpot or your Catalina. What's the plan?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
....This year leaving her in Grenada. .....
I've been thinking about your program. We're behind your curve and not yet doing entire winters in the Caribe. However, I still enjoy summers in New England just as much, maybe more. Family and friends can come in New England must more readily. Nevertheless, the passage back and forth is a huge hassle. Would love to dream of sending her via dockwise, when I no longer want to do the passage, but it's crazy money.

If I were constrained to the Bay, without the mother ship, I'd seriously consider getting a day sailor. Something small and easy to care for. A fair weather ship (20-25ft maybe smaller). A flat summer day on the Bay, ghosting along in light wind could be glorious.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
However, I still enjoy summers in New England just as much, maybe more.
Minne,

I have to agree with Summers in New England. Currently in VA but I plan to retire in two years so I am currently looking for a coastal cruiser that we can use to spend summer thru Fall in NE (our daughter lives in Boston), then head south to Charleston, SC or points farther south for winter. Must be able to single hand since the Admiral is not into sailing but will stay on the boat if that means being able to spend time with our daughter for a couple of months. I would fly the Admiral to Boston after I get the boat up there, then down to Charleston once I get the boat there.

I know this is a potential wormhole but,,, I'm open for suggestions on coastal cruisers. Budget: $50K to $100K, maybe a bit more for the right boat. I don't mind older boats with good bones because I do like to tinker.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-01-2019

Minnie I looked at our expenses due to breakages, wear, flights, prep, insurance and incidentals directly related to passage. Surprisingly almost all breakage, chafe, wood dents and other wear is caused by crew on passage. Then add in fuel and food. The cost of storage down in Trinidad or Grenada is just about the same as those expenses.
Down in the islands we have no fixed slip. Our marina time only occurs when we need services or fly home. Itís actually cheaper to not go back and forth.
I did it for several years because thereís something magical about being really off the shelf floating on top of a mile or two of water. Especially liked those nights doing 7+ knots up on watch by yourself.
I might go back to passages but found during the summer did family, fishing and fooling around. The boat mostly sat which is bad for it. I did get a small row/sailboat. But even with her mostly rowed or fished. Think youíll find the sailing recedes into the background when you live on the boat. Kind of like driving. A pleasant Sunday drive is fun but 95% of your driving is just background.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 25 Old 04-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGary01 View Post
Minne,

I have to agree with Summers in New England. Currently in VA but I plan to retire in two years so I am currently looking for a coastal cruiser that we can use to spend summer thru Fall in NE (our daughter lives in Boston), then head south to Charleston, SC or points farther south for winter. Must be able to single hand since the Admiral is not into sailing but will stay on the boat if that means being able to spend time with our daughter for a couple of months. I would fly the Admiral to Boston after I get the boat up there, then down to Charleston once I get the boat there.

I know this is a potential wormhole but,,, I'm open for suggestions on coastal cruisers. Budget: $50K to $100K, maybe a bit more for the right boat. I don't mind older boats with good bones because I do like to tinker.
Gary,
I fully understand where you are coming from. I got my boat... a Contest 36s as a non nothing and learned by doing, studying and so on. I seemed to have made a really great choice. Who know??? After I had sown my wild sailing oats in the Caribbean I returned to LIS and Southern NE and settled down with landlubber wife. Took a while to get her comfortable with sailing and the boat, but she now is quite enamored of it all... but still refuses to learn a thing. She's great company, cooks, cleans and does a lot of watching as she prefers the cockpit to down below except when we are anchored then she prefers down below to the cockpit!

The Contest 36s is a super boat for single handing and coastal cruising. She's good on offshore passages too. Roomy, very larger comfy protected cockpit, lots of head room... large galley... and large nav station... an aft cabin two can sleep in either for and aft or athwartship. Lots of lockers, gorgeous teak interior with a gelcoated fiberglass headliner. Tank sizes are fine, certainly for coastal cruising where fuel and water is very accessible. Mine is a fractional and an easy rig to trim. Sure you can do lots of upgrades... and personalize the excellent bare bones. And these are also fun to do. I've been doing them for 3 dacades and practically upgraded or changed everything by now!

The boat is in your budget if you can find one!
Attached Thumbnails
Shiva interior.JPG   P1020586.JPG  
ImGary01 likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in