Boat People Scum - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 139Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 126 Old 04-27-2019

Re: Boat People Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
the old lady shopper looked at me in my nice clean clothes that looked the same as everyone else there as scum
I reckon she just had a bit of gas at the time. 8-)

seriously let it go dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 126 Old 04-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That whole neoliberal "user pays" ideology is BS

Just try to make the tax burden fair across the population

and provide the obviously justified public services across the board as efficiently as possible.

I mean, all the sparsely populated States are deeply subsidized by the 82% of the US population that live in urban areas.

So what, who cares?

And the huge boondoggles that go to corporate welfare, giveaways to the rich and war-mongering!

Why even waste time talking about rubbish removal from areas used by the public?

Sheesh. . .
The dumpsters at a supermarket aren't public.

And most of what you're bringing up is a) political, and b) not relevant.
post #93 of 126 Old 04-27-2019

Quote:
In this case, Publix grocery store, is getting $300k plus of business from cruisers. I'm not even expecting services from the local community, all I'm expecting is that Publix accepts (and they do) my common household type of trash.

I believe you're overestimating the value of $300K of groceries to the local community.

Supermarket profit is about 1%. So if your estimate is correct, you're talking about $3,000 profit there. Doesn't leave a whole lot to set up a public cruiser services branch. Many businesses frown on the public using their dumpsters, mostly because the public (not talking about cruisers here) has a tendency to abuse the privilege.

I mean, I get what you're saying. The lady eyeballing you is clearly wrong for doing so. But people here may have a tendency to overestimate the value cruisers bring to all but brokerages, marinas and the local West Marine.

What bugs me more than that, even, is when marinas look at cruisers in older boats as if they're not the kind of clientele they're looking for.

Last edited by gulfsail; 04-27-2019 at 09:54 PM.

post #94 of 126 Old 04-28-2019
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Some one also mentioned that people don't see boaters as contributors to the community, only as people "taking". Yet I'm spending my money everywhere I go and not using any other "service" other that common user things like the trash/roads. I'm not using schools or any other services, but still the local community gets the the indirect money I spend from the businesses etc. I spend them at while there in the form of the local taxes of the businesses I supported while there.

In this case, Publix grocery store, is getting $300k plus of business from cruisers. I'm not even expecting services from the local community, all I'm expecting is that Publix accepts (and they do) my common household type of trash.

Yet the old lady shopper looked at me in my nice clean clothes that looked the same as everyone else there as scum, just because I put a small of trash INTO THE TRASH CAN!

you need to pause after: "...people don't see boaters as contributors to the community, only as people "taking".

beause regardless of how much you spend, if she sees you as a 'boater' she doesn't see you as an individual. you are just part of a group that she stereotypes into a taker. Like many stereotypes, there might be a bit of truth to the thought or was at one time, but most people who stereotype are not into much nuance.

A lot of people who have made up their mind, are not going to let facts change what they believe.

You might spend $500 a week and have donated $4,000 to the local little league... taking advantage of the garbage can makes you a bad person...

....just as you might have a home somewhere or even in that community, she thinks if you live on a boat you are homeless, she probably didn't want to discuss if your boat was a home or not.

I have this kind of thing happen to me all the time, judging me about things they should be judging their self on. What I really find funny is often these people are making decisions (and comments) about things that are not theirs to make. Like that store might WANT you to put your garage in their receptacle because they have found that boaters are 40% of there business.

I do know I am guilty of what you have done... even if I was at a fast food restaurant and putting the trash that was the containers for the food I bought there, I will add something to the mix.

I think part of the problem it is so hard to make a sign that says:

"you can only use our trashbin if you are shopping here regularly and spending more than $27 a week, if you are not a regular shopper, but you are only putting the trash in the garbage can that was recently purchased here, that is okay, but only that trash, not a cup you bought at starbucks"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #95 of 126 Old 04-28-2019
arrgh!

Dock

At the risk of taking this thread a little off topic (again)

Do you think sailors litter more or less than non-sailors

I am not much of a litter, just in general, but after seeing many sailing videos and how much litter is in the ocean (not to mention any other sources where you find out about 'islands of plastic') I just can't feel the freedom to litter (I am the person who goes for a walk and takes a bag, so i can make my walk cleaner than I found it)

I do know in the sailing vidoes no one straight out says, I threw my oil change in the ocean. i did see some videos where people made comments that they thought throwing their cans in the ocean was okay... Which I am not sure how I feel about that.. I also have a feeling no one thinks of flushing their toliet in the ocean is litter (when I swim in the lake near me, I think the same about peeing)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #96 of 126 Old 04-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

At the risk of taking this thread a little off topic (again)

Do you think sailors litter more or less than non-sailors

If I had to guess, I'd say that sailors are probably generally more educated, more in tune with the environment, and less apt to litter. At least I'd like to think so.

Even this discussion is about using a dumpster, not littering.
Uncle Bob the 1st likes this.
post #97 of 126 Old 04-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfsail View Post
... that if a locality doesn't provide a useful alternative, such as garbage disposal near a marina or dinghy dock, they're presenting boaters with bad options.
Garbage disposal is not something that most cruisers think about when planning either cruises or a new boat. My former big boat had a trash compactor and a dishwasher onboard. Never used the washer (still don't in my home either), but I have to admit that the compactor was really useful and practical.

It was difficult to find the heavy duty paper bags (nowadays you'd order on Amazon) so I used regular plastic trash bags. That worked out so-so as far as ripping goes.

The point is that it is much easier to dispose of a dense, compact rectangular trash than a giant garden bag loosely stuffed with paper, plastic and tin cans.
post #98 of 126 Old 04-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post

The point is that it is much easier to dispose of a dense, compact rectangular trash than a giant garden bag loosely stuffed with paper, plastic and tin cans.
I try and use items twice before they are put in the garbage. Cans are left on the counter to be stuffed with vegetable scraps, wrapping, used paper towels etc... only when they are full do they get transferred to a plastic garbage bag which was previously used to carry groceries. When that is full it gets transferred to a larger trash bag. I can go quite a long time before I need to dump the trash using this method.

For the Seltzer and Soda cans I drink. They go in a separate bag that I will take back for the 5 cent deposit on them. I try to never throw away money.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #99 of 126 Old 04-28-2019

There needs to be more vigorous recycling type trash containers... so you separate you trash and place it in the appropriate container. Some municipalities have two types trash cans - trash and recycle (for plastic and cans) some offer three... trash, plastic and metal.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #100 of 126 Old 04-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
....Do you think sailors litter more or less than non-sailors...
I'd be willing to bet sailors litter less than average.

However, the average litter is a coffee cup, beer can, wrapper, cigarette butt, or other sundry junk that was intentionally or unintentionally discarded. Cruisers are trying to dispose of a weeks worth of household garbage. Publicly available containers are most often established to capture the sundry trash or trash remaining from a single meal, not bags worth. I've routinely seen containers, typically near dinghy docks, overly piled with kitchen garbage bags, which I think is just as poor as tossing a single can on the ground. When the container was not designed for household garbage, one is just taking advantage, by forcing another to clean it up. Same as using any receptacle that one does not have permission to use. You can't rationalize an entitlement.

The best programs are those that either ask for a fee to dispose of a bag of garbage or charge a small landing fee for everyone that comes to shore. These are then used to provide services to the marine community, such as the docks themselves, trash containers, water, whatever. I gladly pay a few dollars to dispose of a bag of garbage.

Like I've said, I've asked permission to use trash containers and almost never been turned down. There is a marina we go to on an island that specifies they do not take trash. They make this clear. It's extremely expensive and this island requires extreme segregation (glass, plastic, food, paper, non-food, hazardous). They don't take it, because there is not container for general garbage and no boat does this much separation. I asked if could just pick out my large containers, separate them and use their containers once. They agreed to once, just for those bulky items. If they saw a transient using the containers without permission, presumably rationalizing that they paid for their slip and despite the prohibition, they'd be evicted and banned. Rightfully so.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in