124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 122 Old 04-28-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Re: Boat People Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

if she sees you as a 'boater' she doesn't see you as an individual

I don't really believe she had any idea I was a boater and only wrote that as fun. I am pretty sure she saw me as just scum in general for whatever reason. I may have sucked in some of HER air. Maybe she was just a snobby old b*tch of a women pissed off that SHE had to go to the store herself because it was the helps day off.

But for the most part all the fun I intended for the thread has gone into the trash and SNers are making feel like scum. So I think I'll just stop playing on the subject.

Since I started this thread from Palm Beach I've spent time in the mooring field in Boot Key and now am in the mooring field at Ft Myers Beach and am getting back into touch with my "people". At least the people of Ft Myers Beach understand that visiting scum is important to their economy.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 122 Old 04-28-2019
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'd be willing to bet sailors litter less than average.

However, the average litter is a coffee cup, beer can, wrapper, cigarette butt, or other sundry junk that was intentionally or unintentionally discarded. Cruisers are trying to dispose of a weeks worth of household garbage. Publicly available containers are most often established to capture the sundry trash or trash remaining from a single meal, not bags worth. I've routinely seen containers, typically near dinghy docks, overly piled with kitchen garbage bags, which I think is just as poor as tossing a single can on the ground. When the container was not designed for household garbage, one is just taking advantage, by forcing another to clean it up. Same as using any receptacle that one does not have permission to use. You can't rationalize an entitlement.

The best programs are those that either ask for a fee to dispose of a bag of garbage or charge a small landing fee for everyone that comes to shore. These are then used to provide services to the marine community, such as the docks themselves, trash containers, water, whatever. I gladly pay a few dollars to dispose of a bag of garbage.

Like I've said, I've asked permission to use trash containers and almost never been turned down. There is a marina we go to on an island that specifies they do not take trash. They make this clear. It's extremely expensive and this island requires extreme segregation (glass, plastic, food, paper, non-food, hazardous). They don't take it, because there is not container for general garbage and no boat does this much separation. I asked if could just pick out my large containers, separate them and use their containers once. They agreed to once, just for those bulky items. If they saw a transient using the containers without permission, presumably rationalizing that they paid for their slip and despite the prohibition, they'd be evicted and banned. Rightfully so.

I assume they don't, but I think that might be an easy implication.

I hike and bike in the woods and through work do a road clean up. This is an opinion based on observation, not hard data, but I have a sense that the slower you go, the less you are likely to litter.

I noticed that when there is a bike race or running, the competitors leave lots of things in their path (gu wrapers, water bottles, etc.) more so then if they were on a more casual ride and I think walkers leave even less.

My thought is, if you are walking you will see garbage, where if you are driving a car, not so much.

Since sailing is a relatively slow mode of transportation, less garbage.

I definitely believe if you ask someone they are more likely to say yes, especially if you are holding up a small bag. I doubt they would be as agreeable if you were backing up a pickup truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #103 of 122 Old 04-28-2019
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I don't really believe she had any idea I was a boater and only wrote that as fun. I am pretty sure she saw me as just scum in general for whatever reason. I may have sucked in some of HER air. Maybe she was just a snobby old b*tch of a women pissed off that SHE had to go to the store herself because it was the helps day off.

But for the most part all the fun I intended for the thread has gone into the trash and SNers are making feel like scum. So I think I'll just stop playing on the subject.

Since I started this thread from Palm Beach I've spent time in the mooring field in Boot Key and now am in the mooring field at Ft Myers Beach and am getting back into touch with my "people". At least the people of Ft Myers Beach understand that visiting scum is important to their economy.

Kind of changes the point of the story to me

Still funny

just now it isn't aimed at a certain group.

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 04-29-2019 at 06:16 AM.

post #104 of 122 Old 04-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Well thread drift or not I hope you enjoyed your time in Marathon.
titustiger27 likes this.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #105 of 122 Old 05-01-2019

Talked with a local about this. In this region until two generations ago pretty much everything you threw away was an organic product and rotted rapidly. Non issue. Population density was so low that sewage pollution was not an issue. Even with land livers dumping their sewage into the bays. In the absence of an economic incentive itís hard to change the populationís behavior. St. Vincent, Bequia and other places have signs and posters to encourage the change but with limited results. In Chatham got friendly with a Rasta. He told me if you gave garbage bag to a local even if you had paid a few bucks it would end up in the woods. When hiking about saw the truth of this. We kept our garbage through the SVG but found a dumpster in Carriacou where we dumped it. Expect it will be burned as is common throughout the eastern Caribbean.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #106 of 122 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Well thread drift or not I hope you enjoyed your time in Marathon.
I did, more than the last time I as there because I didnít feel trapped due waiting for boat parts to show up.

post #107 of 122 Old 05-01-2019

taking back what i said

Last edited by Whalerus; 05-02-2019 at 06:52 PM.
post #108 of 122 Old 05-02-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Been here in the mooring field at Fort Myers Beach FL for 6 days now. This place has a whole different "boat people scum" feel to it. The "season" ends today and there are less "tournist people scum" around that the locals depend on. Thinking I'll stay an extra week and watch how it all plays out.
Sal Paradise and Whalerus like this.

post #109 of 122 Old 05-12-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

The season ending didn't seem to change the Fort Myers Beach boat scum. In truth I barely even saw the liveaboards there. Other than the same dinghies always being at the dinghy dock, but at a different spot, I probably would hardy have known they were there.

Now I'm anchored at Punta Gorda, Fl and the boat scum here are different. They are mostly the power boaters blasting by me at anchor and rocking the crap out of me. But other boat scum must exist as I saw the police boat come out yesterday to check and take notes on 2 boats here on anchor. He didn't come check me as I dinghied in or even circle my boat or others.

post #110 of 122 Old 05-13-2019
Learning the HARD way...

So you skipped Naples and Marco Island?

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in