Boat People Scum - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 122 Old 04-07-2019

Re: Boat People Scum

Given when traveling by boat or other means pickpockets and other untoward events occur. Regardless if you’re climbing off a mega yacht or old boat unless you’re surrounded by security personnel you’d be wise to dress down, wear no jewelry, not flash your money and in all ways be subdued.
Taking crap from keeping up with the Jones types is a small price to pay when you know you are living the life they can only dream about. I’ve seen this low key attitude in Boston Brahmins dressed in frayed rags who could “buy this town and put it in my shoe” as Jimi Hendrix said and farmers in their dirt encrusted overalls who could buy the city. Question is whether your choices are for you or how you’re seen in the eyes of others.
bigdogandy likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 122 Old 04-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I’ll bet the old lady has been victimized by much worse and was overreacting. Many cruisers take advantage. My biggest peeve are those that pull the lid off park receptacles, designed to capture drinking cups and picnic plates, in order to jam two full garbage bags inside and then balance the lid atop that no longer fits. That’s low class.
This issue goes past boating and marinas.

Near my home is a Kmart and sometimes RVers will park and camp overnight there. One of the stores I frequent in this mall has a sign on the garbage can outside the store that says "small items only." My guess is they are sick of campers leaving large bags of garbage outside the trash for them to deal with.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 122 Old 04-07-2019

https://youtu.be/jgxKrH-O2Kk

nice, thanks
outbound likes this.

post #24 of 122 Old 04-07-2019

Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick

Ask her if she would rather you not give her your business (assuming she was the business owner), or visit her city and spend money?
titustiger27 likes this.

Roaming the Mississippi Sound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 122 Old 04-07-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

So, am I to understand that most of the folks here actually would eat in a restaurant that serves commercially packaged ketchup? As opposed to fresh stuff they make on their own premises? Really now, have standards around here gotten so low?

I had been told, perhaps incorrectly, that Germany addressed the issue of excess packaging years ago, requiring stores to accept for recycling, whatever they were selling. So toothpaste tubes sold in cellowrapped cardboard boxes? Yes, you can leave all that at the store, just take the tube. I'm not sure that I see much of the trash "issue" though. Just spread it out knee-deep, hope it never decays, and sooner or later you can raise the ground level to mitigate the effects of global warming.
post #26 of 122 Old 04-07-2019

Cockroaches are an issue throughout the Caribbean. All non critical wrapping is taken off before the article goes on the boat. Especially cardboard (roach and other insect eggs) and plastic (won’t throw it in the ocean).
Have a spray can of Bop and boric acid. Rarely need to use them.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #27 of 122 Old 04-07-2019

Not all condiments are equal.
Good restaurants usually display the marine-grade sticker storefront.
Dont be fooled
post #28 of 122 Old 04-07-2019
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
We remove as much packaging as possible when we make a purchase and leave it at the store.

I think often consumers think of moving the trash to the next stop.

That is to say, you buy your Groceries in one store and leave your trash where you buy your next bit of groceries

I wonder where the woman thought the garbage should go from her store??

Vector X Y
post #29 of 122 Old 04-08-2019

Let's say you live across from a popular dinghy dock and many cruisers use it to go to town. I'll bet, if a cruiser saw you in your driveway and asked you for a favor to dispose of a single bag of trash, in the can you pay to have picked up each week, you'd agree to help out. This thread is about that same cruiser sneaking up your driveway and putting their garbage into your pail, without asking first.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #30 of 122 Old 04-08-2019

Such conflicts are simply prevented by the service being provided to boaters by the government. If some mechanism can provide for some level of "fair" user-pays, great, but if not, should not mean government creating such issues by just abandoning its responsibilities.
Atlas likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in