Boat People Scum - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 213 Old 04-08-2019

Re: Boat People Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Let's say you live across from a popular dinghy dock and many cruisers use it to go to town. I'll bet, if a cruiser saw you in your driveway and asked you for a favor to dispose of a single bag of trash, in the can you pay to have picked up each week, you'd agree to help out. This thread is about that same cruiser sneaking up your driveway and putting their garbage into your pail, without asking first.
Trash containers are not minded. People use them because they are there to place trash in. Sure a property owners and business PAY (usually) for trash to be collected and provide the appropriate container for it. Of course you would be pissed off if your container was filled up (and you end up paying for its removal).

So in Newport there IS a dumpster at the dinghy dock by the sailing center at the Armory. We use it. I believe there is one often at Kings Park pier... and we'll use that one too. There is also one or more over at Fort Adams. We put a grocery bag full because we don't store much rubbish aboard... at most to grocery bags.

Authorities should provide the service. I caught a woman.. who likely doesn't have a carting service leave a bunch of huge rubbish bags on the sidewalk next to a city trash can. Pretty creepy.

Hold your trash until you can dispose it properly.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 213 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Let's say you live across from a popular dinghy dock and many cruisers use it to go to town. I'll bet, if a cruiser saw you in your driveway and asked you for a favor to dispose of a single bag of trash, in the can you pay to have picked up each week, you'd agree to help out. This thread is about that same cruiser sneaking up your driveway and putting their garbage into your pail, without asking first.
No it's not.

It's about putting a bag of trash into the trash can in front of the Publix's grocery store and some other shopper giving you the stink eye.

BTW - based on the average amount of money I spend at the Publix each time I've stopped and the average number of cruising boats there. If each are spending what I am then the cruisers are spending over $300k/yr at that store.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 213 Old 04-08-2019

The mafia ran the garbage business for quite a few years. Not real interested in turning it over to the most inefficient gang of gangsters, the government, unless absolutely necessary. At least like Mussolini the mafia made the trains run on time so to speak.
Interested in pressing business to use less plastic in packaging and less packaging altogether.
I get a fair amount of stuff through the internet. It’s amazing how much wasteful packaging it comes in.
SanderO, Rhapsody-NS27 and danvon like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #34 of 213 Old 04-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
..... If each are spending what I am then the cruisers are spending over $300k/yr at that store.
Are you claiming you're entitled to use whatever you want of theirs? You got that look because you were doing something you did not have permission to do, but may have received permission, if you had asked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #35 of 213 Old 04-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Such conflicts are simply prevented by the service being provided to boaters by the government......
I'd say that most places I've been, have a trash container for the boaters. Some, such as Cuttyhunk, requires a $5 per bag fee paid on the honor system. I'm guessing the tone of this thread would suggest a dump and dash was entitled, because one bought some ice cream and a lobster on the island.

I've been to marinas and town docks that have explicitly stated there is no trash facilities. Therefore, I either find some permission ashore somewhere, or I store it to the next anchorage. Pretty simple.

Often, it's clear (small island) that trash removal is a real problem for them and they can't handle the added load. I highly suspect, in other cases, our cruising brethren have ruined it for the rest of us.

p.s. The government can't pay for anything whatsoever, they don't make any money. The rest of us pay for whatever they provide. There are good reasons for doing so, but I'll bet those that live ashore aren't so interested in underwriting our cost of trash removal.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 213 Old 04-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
I get a fair amount of stuff through the internet. Itís amazing how much wasteful packaging it comes in.
Received a package from amazon yesterday, the size of a midsize car glovebox.
Inside was the phone battery id orderee, the size of a saltine cracker...
SanderO, Minnewaska and dixiedawg like this.
post #37 of 213 Old 04-08-2019

Although a lot of packaging is paper... it still is often burned. And if so that's not a great idea. Would be smart if packaging could be recycled.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #38 of 213 Old 04-08-2019

If technology could be developed to virtually eliminate toxic emissions from burning waste, I think it could be a very good solution. It is essentially recycling in the form of using waste to create energy. Some plants make heat, others make electricity (essentially from heat). Based on our ability to create waste, it's practically indefinitely sustainable.

The present problem with trying to recycle waste back into consumer products is the math doesn't work and/or we don't have the need for as much source material. Now that China won't take it, we're all backed up.

I say invent a way to capture the emissions and burn it all.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #39 of 213 Old 04-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Although a lot of packaging is paper... it still is often burned. And if so that's not a great idea. Would be smart if packaging could be recycled.
Too bad it's impractical to fit an incinerator on a small boat like they have on ships. Perhaps a wood burning stove in the salon could serve double duty for burning paper, wood, etc.
post #40 of 213 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Are you claiming you're entitled to use whatever you want of theirs? You got that look because you were doing something you did not have permission to do, but may have received permission, if you had asked.
Man the ladder you must be using to get on your horse must be tall. Try for once to get a grip!

I got "that look" because the old lady shopper that gave it to me probably thinks everyone not driving a BMW is scum.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in