Boat People Scum - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 122 Old 04-08-2019

Re: Boat People Scum

Until recently the city of St. Paul didnít have municipal trash pickup. Each homeowner had to contract their own, which meant that in some parts of the city there were as many as six different trash haulers. Instead of one truck a week coming down the alley, sometimes youíd have several trucks in the same day. It was inefficient and stupid.

They finally switched to a municipal system where the city contracts one hauler per area and you pay the fee on your water bill. Itís simpler, costs are lower, and thereís less heavy vehicle traffic which means less noise and less alley repair.

But wow did some people get mad. People wrote furious letters to the editor complaining that they make very little trash and just take a bag to the store once a week, so they didnít see why they should have to pay.

Such cognitive dissonance. They recognize that trash removal costs money; thatís what theyíre complaining about. Yet they feel that a store should provide that service to them for free.

In the case of this Publix, Iím sure theyíre more than happy to provide trash as a loss leader for your grocery business. Youíre not taking up a parking space, and their parking lot probably costs more to maintain than their trash service.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 122 Old 04-08-2019
Learning the HARD way...

To sum up;
A sailor got the stink eye while dropping a bag of trash in a trash receptacle in a Publix Supermarket.

JimMcGee and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 122 Old 04-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Went ashore the other day to go to grocery store. Had on clean shirt, shorts, and sandals. We had our backpack and rolly cart along with a small bag of trash to toss in the trash can at the store. As I was putting the bag of trash in the can this older woman came out of the store and gave us a look of "I hate you homeless boat people scum!"

I'm trying to figure out how she could tell.
Don, she looked at you but didn't say anything? Seriously?

Maybe she's just a grumpy person. Why would you give it more than a passing thought?

You're out sailing, enjoy the life with all its good and occasionally bad times. If in doubt pour another rum drink.
eherlihy and john61ct like this.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

post #44 of 122 Old 04-08-2019

Good advise...
post #45 of 122 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

You know

I just thought it would an amusing fun story

But nooooooooooo
Donna_F, JimMcGee, cthoops and 1 others like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #46 of 122 Old 04-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
....Bet it hasn't ever occurred to you that Publix has already given permission for the cruisers to use the trash cans.
Of course, it hasn't. When I first mentioned putting trash where you didn't have permission, you responded by announcing how much money you and other cruisers spend there. You did not say you had permission.

If you did, I was wrong. However, if you didn't, it's the sort of thing that make the entire cruising community suffer a bit, as landlubbers like to bunch us all into the worst experience they have, with any one of us.

Quote:
I will admit I made a big mistake a few weeks ago concerning you and will now correct that error.
Care to clarify?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 04-09-2019 at 06:26 AM.
post #47 of 122 Old 04-09-2019

There was an interesting article on the topic of garbage in yesterday's NYT. I bet we can all recall throwing something out that we no longer has a use for, but was fine and had no where else to send it. It isn't really trash at all, it's just stuff we no longer want or need. That clearly needs a better solution.

My wife brings all of our used clothing to the local thrift store. However, they sell very little of it. They simply get paid to have it chopped up into recyclable fibers, an industry I'm told is riddle with corruption. There has to be a better way. They also have standards that are hard to meet in some cases. If something works, but has a clear broken aesthetic piece, they won't take it. Someone might be happy to have it, but it ends up in the trash.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/07/u...=pocket-newtab

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #48 of 122 Old 04-09-2019

I’m the poor relation in some places we cruise, and the rich phuck in others. I’ve learned there is absolutely no correlation between appearance or behavior and net worth. Before leaving this year had a genset installed at Hinckley yard. Next door neighbor on a NEB jewel was changing fluids. Thought he was a yard worker until I watched him get into his Cornishe. My crew was driving me nuts waiting to leave so the next day asked him about his car just to chat with someone else. We talked a bit and he related his belief the neighbor on the other side of the finger pier was opening the head through hulls at night. That boat was 55’ Z lander. I saw the lady on her dressed with more jewelry than seen in most jewelry stores. The man in Musto and HH head to foot. The captain with the boat name on his shirt. Said hi when I saw them but blown off every time. Truly boorish behavior.
So Don what do you do when confronted with boors? Let them rain on your parade? Or embarrass them when they act in a egocentric deleterious way then move on?
When there was a moment the owners and captain were on deck together I walked over. Told them “pretty boat too bad it smells like ****e”. Told the NEB owner of the interaction. He laughed and laughed. Every time he walked past that boat he exclaimed about the smell (there was none of course) and held his nose if there was someone on deck.
capecodda likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #49 of 122 Old 04-09-2019

Childish... ignore people who are not bothering you...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #50 of 122 Old 04-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
We talked a bit and he related his belief the neighbor on the other side of the finger pier was opening the head through hulls at night.

When there was a moment the owners and captain were on deck together I walked over. Told them ďpretty boat too bad it smells like ****eĒ.
Hey outbound, you seem like a really reasonable guy in all the stuff you write here on sailnet, so I'm assuming that this interaction had some nuances that didn't come across well in writing. Because, frankly, telling a stranger out of the blue that their boat smells like $hit (when it doesn't) based on the "belief" of some other guy, and some observations about jewelry and clothing, does not sound like a very reasonable way to interact with others.

In any event, it really doesn't matter, I'm sure you knew what you were doing and feel ok about it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in