Boat People Scum - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 122 Old 04-09-2019

Re: Boat People Scum

Yup a lot more to the story. Fair amount of evidence like very foul smell for 10-15m every night we were there. Occasional trash in water near their boat seen when first up on deck. Real snotty attitude. Water hose left across pier needed to be moved repetitively to roll things across such as the genset and food and water. In short very wealthy dirtballs. True low flyers.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 122 Old 04-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Yup a lot more to the story. Fair amount of evidence like very foul smell for 10-15m every night we were there. Occasional trash in water near their boat seen when first up on deck. Real snotty attitude. Water hose left across pier needed to be moved repetitively to roll things across such as the genset and food and water. In short very wealthy dirtballs. True low flyers.
If I were smelling that for 10 or 15 minutes I think that the next night when I got the first nasty whiff of it, right then I'd take a stroll down the dock and see where it was coming from. IF indeed it seemed to be coming from that boat I'd knock on the hull until someone responded and ask in a fairly loud voice that "there's a really nasty smell out here and I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from so would you please check and see if it could be coming from your boat?" That way, with the stink still in the air there's no way for them to deny it exists and I haven't directly accused them of anything but they know for sure that I know and hopefully will worry enough about me ratting them out so they'll stop doing it.

But.... last summer I was tied up in a slip and noticed a few people from down the dock talking outside my boat so I went topside to see what was going on. They were looking at a sheen on the water indicating something petroleum based and it started at my boat and extended downcurrent for several boat lengths along the dock. I'm sure they thought I'd been dumping fuel overboard or had spilled some but I hadn't. I hadn't fueled up that day or changed my oil that day and had been down below for quite awhile and there was no sign of fuel or oil in my bilge that could have been automatically pumped overboard or coming from my tank vents. I have no idea where the oily sheen came from but I'm pretty sure that most of the other boaters thought it came from my boat since it seemed to start right beside it and there was no oily sheen in the slip just upcurrent from my boat. Maybe it did come from my boat but it's still a mystery to me from where or how.

So, unless I have real proof as to the source of a leak of any kind, I will be careful to make any comments regarding it be in the form of a question. Sometimes it's really not as clear as it seems and if you directly ask a question the apparently "offending party" may also become curious and join you in trying to search out the answer, or if they've been doing it deliberately you've let them know that they're busted without having a confrontation.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #53 of 122 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Just off downtown we have the Hennepin Energy Recovery Center, or the garbage burner as itís called. It turns garbage into electricity and the waste heat...

Itís very clean. It has always beat its emissions targets.
30+years ago when I was a high school geek in the engineering club (yes my kids still tease me about that) we visited a similar plant in Tamba Bay. It was truly amazing. They even pull all the ash particles from the exhaust using electrostatic plates.
Minnesail likes this.

post #54 of 122 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Well Iím now in Boot Key on a mooring. Boat scum has a completely different meaning here that in Palm Beach.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #55 of 122 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Well Iím now in Boot Key on a mooring. Boat scum has a completely different meaning here that in Palm Beach.
Plastic scraper
post #56 of 122 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
You know

I just thought it would an amusing fun story

But nooooooooooo
It’s funny, I was just thinking the same thing when I read your post above.

Geez, people. He was telling a funny story! Boating season in the cold weather climates can’t come quickly enough.

Don, if you’re talking about the Publix near the North Lake Worth anchorage, Mr. cthoops and I were wishing there was better trash disposal there. A cardboard recycle would be nice too.

The anchorage has many boaters who provision before jumping off to the Bahamas. It’s not a stretch to say that a substantial amount of money is being spent by cruisers at that Publix. While the uppity woman gave you the stink eye about it, I’m sure Publix is more than happy to take your many hundreds of dollars in exchange for your one bag of trash.
oysterman23 likes this.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cthoops; 04-10-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #57 of 122 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
You know

I just thought it would an amusing fun story

But nooooooooooo
Don I couldn't stop laughing when I read this !

You have visited Sailnet before right???

BTW, welcome to Marathon !

If I can make a suggestion dinghy over to Burdines for dinner. I swear they sprinkle crack on the fries (they're that good) and try the deep fried key lime pie -- I know I thought the same thing until the wife talked me into it -- it's just that good.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 04-10-2019 at 09:00 PM.
post #58 of 122 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

I’ve been here before but haven’t tried the fried pie. I’m closer to burdines than my last visit here and will consider dinghying over to try it. I am concerned that fried pie sends me down a whole new hell hole of scum level.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Last edited by Don0190; 04-10-2019 at 09:42 PM.
post #59 of 122 Old 04-11-2019

Yeah the fries are a complete meal.
Ketchup is in squirt bottles so you can write your name...like you do in snow...but in red.
post #60 of 122 Old 04-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Yeah the fries are a complete meal.
Ketchup is in squirt bottles so you can write your name...like you do in snow...but in red.
If you write your name in the snow and it's red you need to see a doctor immediately.
RegisteredUser and dixiedawg like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in