Boat People Scum - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 122 Old 04-11-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Re: Boat People Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
If you write your name in the snow and it's red you need to see a doctor immediately.
But if you write your name in the snow with red pee in the Florida Keys you will need much bigger help.
titustiger27 and Minnesail like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 122 Old 04-11-2019

Thanks. I already have an appt with the VA....early june.

Most people there wear clean t shirts so dress up...dont be boat scum
post #63 of 122 Old 04-11-2019
arrgh!

Dock

whoa.....

The original post.. I saw this was active and before looking at it I thought... 'you know that woman who was snotty... who was she? was she the owner of the store, was she just a customer....? heck was she had anything to do with anything ---> that is we all know people who want to be xxx police, be it the unofficial town police or unofficial internet police'

Which to say it is still a funny story regardless, but maybe not much stock should be put into what some random person or just one person deciding who is the scum.

Add to it who knows what is going on with that person, like did her son just drown and no boat scum save him... maybe she didn't know you were a sailboat guy and thought you were a power boat guy (the real boat scum--- j/k)

I have to wonder about that with people on threads who end up getting into arguments --- which I have had happen to me and maybe even caused... I never think.. who are they... or I wonder what has upset them in their life... or can't a thought be expressed without a war breaking out (from either side)

Or.. I was surprised that somehow this anecdote about sailing triggered some friction...

Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y

post #64 of 122 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Iíve been here before but havenít tried the fried pie. Iím closer to burdines than my last visit here and will consider dinghying over to try it. I am concerned that fried pie sends me down a whole new hell hole of scum level.
Don, if that deep fried key lime pie sends you on some kind of a moral death spiral at least you'll go with a smile. A really big smile

Remember in the Keys the difference between boat scum and the millionaires is you showered today and put on a clean shirt. We all look pretty much the same here

And order an extra fries to go. They're great heated up with some eggs the next morning.
titustiger27 likes this.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #65 of 122 Old 04-13-2019

post #66 of 122 Old 04-14-2019

I just spent some time getting an early jump on summer staying on land in Key West and on Stock Island. There and on the drive up the Keys I noticed quite a few boats anchored in places like Cow Key Channel and elsewhere up the Keys. The Boats have also returned in the anchorage on the west side of Wysteria and Sunset Island. The last hurricane wiped a lot of these boats and many of those I saw looked like they could not go anywhere if they tried. After cleaning up hundreds if not thousands of boats after the last Hurricane I can understand why the authorities are not happy of a repeat of that event.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #67 of 122 Old 04-15-2019

I've been going down to the Keys pretty often since the 1980's when I bought my timeshare. The situation regarding less than sea worthy boats looks much worse than before IRMA IMO. I also noticed them located beyond Key West northward this year and certainly noticed an increase around Key West this year compared to last year. I guess IRMA helped clear a lot of the boats out which are now coming back. At the Stock Island Marina I found out a 35 foot (minimum) slip is $1000 a month. Which seems like pretty good deal for a modern marina in that location. Sailor I spoke with that includes pump out by marina staff every week at your slip. Plus pool, showers and laundry facilities. Might even be able to use the hourly Hotel shuttle bus into town. Sounds like a much better deal than anchoring out and worrying about if you dingy will get stolen making you late for work.
JimMcGee likes this.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #68 of 122 Old 04-15-2019

Controlling dinghy/shore access is a key.
KW has a similar muni program as marathon. 345 month mooring and 245 anchor gets dinghy landing shower trash wifi and weekly pumpout.
Iirc there is a 3rd muni marina somewhere else on same program...
So service workers can do the boat thing and actually get ahead...if they dont drunk it or put it up their nose....

The 'live to be free and weird' bunch..i am not referring to. Boat gig makes easy sense for many workers...so make it easy for them to get on the program.
Make it hard...then spend more in LE and etc...
JimMcGee likes this.
post #69 of 122 Old 04-16-2019
cdy

I had a Pearson 26 moored in Cocoa for 2 years - there were 20 boats on the west side of the intracoastal before Irma - 4 after, however over the last 2 years - the anchorage has filled up again - only a handful of boats get used - a few are livaboards that nver sail - others are just using it to park their boat for free - which is fine if they are in decent shape - but what I have found their are a number of owners without 2 nickles to rub together - they pick these boats up for free or for very little - wit the intent to fix them up and sail away or flip them - but reality sets in - very hard to work on a boat when on a mooring - they put a little effort into it at first then the boats just sits - they can't afford to fix it , and no one will give them anything for it - eventually the next hurricane or strong storm drives it ashore - they have no money for removal - county drags it out and takes it to dump and the whole process starts over
post #70 of 122 Old 04-16-2019

There is a certain romantic notion about the guy living on a sailboat with no rudder or mast who spends his time hanging out in some little dockside bar chatting up the tourists.

Here's the reality, there is a mate on a fishing boat who's living on a derelict sailboat behind our property, complete with the spray painted symbols on the hull from the first responders who went through Boot Key Harbor after Irma. The rumor is he bought the boat salvage after the storm as a temporary solution because his trailer was trashed. After two years I don't think it's temporary anymore.

He's anchored in a restricted, no-anchor zone because it's close to the boat he works on. I don't think the boat has ever moved and as far as I know there is no pumpout boat that comes in here (at least no one has ever seen one).

Now the mangroves behind my place are full of fish and lobster. Are they safe to eat or contaminated by raw sewage? Is it safe to swim off my dock? My guess is the answer is no.

This isn't a "boat bum" conversation anymore, it's a sanitary conversation.

And what happens if this uninsured derelict drags anchor into someone's dock or boat during the next storm?

The real cost of housing, and how some people got into their current situation is a LONG and often contentious conversation with many layers that people on both sides want to over simplify.

Requiring boaters to meet safety, sanitary and anchoring standards - well that IS a simple conversation.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 04-16-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in