What happened to the water pressure? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 04-09-2019 Thread Starter

Re: What happened to the water pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelangle View Post
Is there water leaking from the pump? I had a similar problem that was caused by a cracked diaphragm. It was leaking badly as the pump ran, and no pressure developed. How about a failed impeller?
no visible water leaking in the system. New pump is on the way... if that doesn't solve the problem it's some air leak.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 04-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
no visible water leaking in the system. New pump is on the way... if that doesn't solve the problem it's some air leak.
You've already checked everything I can think of that it might be so I can't add anything useful but will be very interested in what you finally determine the problem to be. I suspect you're right that over the winter something happened to make the pump or at least the pressure sensor in the pump not work correctly. But please let us know for sure once this mystery is solved for sure!

Last edited by jtsailjt; 04-09-2019 at 07:01 PM.
post #23 of 38 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Probably correct. I am now thinking to simply remove the pump over the winter... 2 quick connects, 4 screws and 2 crimps..
The power on my pump is run to a terminal block immediately next to the pump, so I don't have to cut wires to remove it. In my case, it's a spade block, so I just unplug it. A screw down terminal block is a better idea, but still only a second to remove a screw and ring connector, rather than cut and have to re-splice each year.

Cheers. Let us know if the pump solves the problem.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 38 Old 04-10-2019
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

each and every time this happens to me it is due to air bubble in pump. it only happens when i donot fill tank before the water runs out and i donot open taps while filling.
this seems to make a difference.
so to fix it i always had to take the pump out of installed area and prime the thing.
and folks wonder why i want foot pump water instead of pressure.
also check each and every single connection between tank and faucet. best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #25 of 38 Old 04-10-2019

I’ve had some of the Shurflo pumps that wouldn’t prime from my bilge tanks if the hoses (input or output) had air in them when I started the system. In my case, i have two tanks which are higher than the pump. I primed with them, purged ALL the air from the system by opening ALL the faucets and shutting each one off when the air was gone.
SanderO likes this.
post #26 of 38 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinshallah View Post
I’ve had some of the Shurflo pumps that wouldn’t prime from my bilge tanks if the hoses (input or output) had air in them when I started the system. In my case, i have two tanks which are higher than the pump. I primed with them, purged ALL the air from the system by opening ALL the faucets and shutting each one off when the air was gone.
Could be the prime. I tried all manner of opening and closing the two faucets with the pump running to no avail. I am awaiting the new pump... and if that solves the problem... old pump was defective. If it doesn't I am back to the drawing boards with a spare pump. Tomorrow or Friday.

post #27 of 38 Old 04-12-2019 Thread Starter

New pump works fine. I think the old one was probably OK. Now it's a spare.

post #28 of 38 Old 04-12-2019
Old soul

What makes you think the old one was probably OK Sander? I ask b/c I had one go on me a while ago. I too just swapped it out for a new one that I had on hand, but now you’re making me think I should have kept the old one.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #29 of 38 Old 04-12-2019

Keeping the old pump as a spare means it will work as well as it did before you removed it ! So what was the problem?
post #30 of 38 Old 04-12-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Why will it work any better as a spare since it was the problem?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in