What happened to the water pressure? - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 04-07-2019 Thread Starter

What happened to the water pressure?

So I filled the water tanks and turned the pressure water pump on and expected it to pressurize the system and then stop... and for there to be decent pressure at each of the two faucets.

Pump came on and didn't stop... and water pressure / volume as very very low... too low to use. So I am thinking.... there's an air leak and so the system can't pressurize... or... the pump is not functioning. Didn't have time to do an exhaustive search for a leak.... saw not signs of water in the bilge from a broken hose or loose connection.

I am thinking to replace the pump and if that's the problem... repair the old one and keep it as a spare. If it doesn't solve the problem it's a sign of breach in the system and I'll have to find it.

Only change to the system was a new Raritan water heater was installed. But that's a closed loop.

I will return to the boat and see what I can figure out. I think I have a spare pump or two... and if not I'll buy one. Any recommendations for a 2 fixture system? Looks like product offerings have changed since I installed the present one. which was installed in '14 so it's not all that old.

Any suggestions???

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-07-2019

Re: What happened to the water pressure?

is the water heater full if not it may take a long time to build pressure with air in the system. air has to compress before you will build system pressure. water does not compress so it will build pressure quickly once the air is purged out of the system.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #3 of 38 Old 04-07-2019

Rapp yer lips around the open tap and suck. By the sound of the running pump you can tell if it's getting a prime

post #4 of 38 Old 04-07-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Rapp yer lips around the open tap and suck. By the sound of the running pump you can tell if it's getting a prime
How could any water flow to a faucet if there was no prime. Pump is pushing some water.... not much. though,

post #5 of 38 Old 04-07-2019

Sounds like a blog between the tank and the pump.I would disconnect the pump and blow some compressed air into the tank. That has worked for me.
post #6 of 38 Old 04-07-2019

I mean clog.
post #7 of 38 Old 04-07-2019

Is this a diaphragm or a belt drive pump?

If diaphragm, I have had loose connections on the input line to the pump so the pump was sucking mostly air and a little water, but not leaking. The connection was a sort of quick connect with a slider that pushed in to lock. The slider had popped out and all it took to fix the problem was pushing it back in again.

I have also had loose/slipped/stripped belts on belt drive pumps that resulted in low water pressure. Again no leaks. The fix was to replace the belt.

Good Luck!
post #8 of 38 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

I am going to investigate this afternoon.... didn't have time yesterday and didn't expect any problems. Clearly some water is getting to the faucet. Foot pump works fine too. This is making be believe an air leak or a faulty ShurFlo pump. If the pump does not shut off it tells me that the system is not pressurizing.... but why? an air leak? water leaking as well??? or faulty pump?

post #9 of 38 Old 04-08-2019

Dock

My water system does this same thing sometimes when the tank runs dry.....I have to bleed the air out of the system by turning on the pump and opening up the faucet farthest from the pump, which happens to be the hand shower in the lazarrette.
SanderO likes this.

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #10 of 38 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments... In the past I left the tap open until the water flowed well. Didn't work this time. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in