Whats the point of boat brokers? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Whats the point of boat brokers?

Similar to real estate agents in the Socal market- is it a needed service? I would prefer to deal directly with the previous owner who has spent years maintaining the boat and knows it far better than a broker. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-08-2019

Re: Whats the point of boat brokers?

The seller is paying for a convenience factor, likely well worth it.

As a buyer, I would only engage a broker for expensive boats where most of them are already represented by brokers.

The price history databases they have access to can be very helpful.

For cheaper / old boats I would indeed prefer to deal direct with the owner, but that's not up to me.

And of course then I'm spending more time looking myself, researching contract / escrow / lien / titling / tax / registration / documentation etc details.

Last edited by john61ct; 04-08-2019 at 02:16 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply- my price point is 30K for boats 25 years old that typically have extensive maintenance records. The current boat I have my eye on is a pacific seacraft that is represented by a broker. I found the owner posting a bunch on here documenting his experience owning the boat and would prefer to deal directly with him.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-08-2019

If the owner hired a broker, it stands to reason they want someone else to deal with it. The motivation is often the time it takes to show, vet, negotiate. Listing contracts typically call for the broker to be paid, even if the owner sources and negotiates the sale. Otherwise, the broker is competing against their own client, which means they are wasting their time fishing that pond.

You can always ask, some owners may be willing to engage. Most won't.... hence the broker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-08-2019
al brazzi

A good broker can head off many problems. I bought and sold one low priced local boat through the same broker, both transactions. He was candid and said he usually doesn't work with low value Boats but he knew it would be a quick sale, that's just the way they are, it can be a LOT of work to sell and they go for the money.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-08-2019
Gemini 105Mc

There can be other factors as well. The boat in the slip next to me is for sale, in SW Florida. The owners live in Indiana.........
post #7 of 22 Old 04-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond275 View Post
I found the owner posting a bunch on here documenting his experience owning the boat and would prefer to deal directly with him.
Well that is up to them.

The broker gets the commission either way.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-08-2019
Master Mariner

I used a buyer's broker on this boat and he was fantastic. Taking his cut from the seller's broker, he gave me a lot of good advice on this particular boat, as he'd sailed one in the islands some years in a row. He also handled the escrow and money transfer and made up all the documents I needed to get the boat documented.
He flew from Wi to NYC to go over the boat with me and helped because I didn't care for the seller's broker. All it cost me was lunch and transport to and from the airport.
A seller's broker can get the word out much farther than an individual and though it costs you money, they can make the difference between a quick sale and a long time between offers.
A good broker isn't going to really care about how big his share will be if the boat sells fast. Selling 20 boats for 2k a month beats sitting around on their ass and selling two big commission boats a year for most.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 22 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
There can be other factors as well. The boat in the slip next to me is for sale, in SW Florida. The owners live in Indiana.........
Good point!
post #10 of 22 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Well that is up to them.

The broker gets the commission either way.
I guess it couldn't hurt to ask the broker for the sellers contact info to discuss previous maintenance and nuances with the ownership.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in