Sailboat Takes Out Power to Half the FL Keys - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Sailboat Takes Out Power to Half the FL Keys

A sailboat hit the power lines at MM 73 in Tavernier taking out power to every island south all the way to Key West.

Squalls were moving through the Keys at the time and the Coconut Telegraph is saying the boat drug anchor into the overhead lines.

Tow Boat US got the boat off the lines, which were OK and power was restored in about two and a half hours. My guess is the Captain is having an uncomfortable talk with the Coast Guard...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...229041644.html

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-10-2019

Re: Sailboat Takes Out Power to Half the FL Keys

What's that do to the boat? Is it like a lightning strike?

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #3 of 15 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Minne I hope I NEVER find out !!!

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

post #4 of 15 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Minne I hope I NEVER find out !!!
Hah, no kidding!

I was hanging with a group of other trailer sailors last night and some of the others were talking about putting their mast up while the boat is in their driveway, just to get everything checked out for spring.

Not me. My boat is about 10’ away from power lines. No way am I putting the mast up!
JimMcGee likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #5 of 15 Old 04-10-2019
Gemini 105Mc

Unfortunately, this is why masted boats are prohibited to anchor in Newfound Harbor between Big Pine Key and Little Torch Key. Happened one too many times there I guess.......
post #6 of 15 Old 04-11-2019 Thread Starter

From today's Key West Citizen:

“Typically, all of the costs associated with repairing or restoring the power are calculated on our end, and then billed to the owner of the vehicle or vessel, according to Keys Energy Services’ spokesperson Julio Torrado."

"...unknown circumstances led the sailboat to drift into tielines near the shore. While the incident occurred within the Florida Keys Electric Cooperative’s utility service area, the outage spread to areas south of the initial impact. The circumstances surrounding the impact, the name of the vessel or the name of its owner have yet to be disclosed."

I hope he has a good insurance policy.
Minnesail likes this.

Currently Boatless

post #7 of 15 Old 04-11-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

So, it is THAT easy to turn off the power when the guys at the next dock are rocking too loud too late in the evening?
post #8 of 15 Old 04-11-2019
bell ringer

Aren’t sailboats powerful? We make bridges rise for us and if you don’t like it, we will turn your power and air conditioner OFF

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-12-2019

I wonder what that aluminum mast looks like now - am surprised it didn't melt down like butter.

I remember when we were building a small bridge across a creek in Mumbai and the crane operator had no choice but to work close to the overhead lines (which we monitored closely). However it was constantly under induction. You could hear the hum at times and feel your hair standing up. Wow we would back way the fk up!

100,000 volts is nothing to mess with.

BTW I wonder what his lightning protection system looks like now - it could be an interesting lesson learned.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-12-2019

I was staying at the Perry Hotel on Stock Island just north of Key West when this happened. I never noticed the thing and only found out about it by reading the headlines in the newspaper box in Key West the next day. I guess the hotel had their own generator which kicked in because I was taking the elevator with no problem during the time in question.
Minnesail likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying some Fall sailing while it lasts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in