Portabote on a roof rack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 04-11-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Summer Mooring Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Portabote on a roof rack?
John.... I have no place to keep any boat in the tiny garage I have. The only option is a launch where the dink is tied to the mother ship...or a dinghy dock.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #13 of 45 Old 04-11-2019

Ok, just thought since they fold up so flat, what 6-8" thick I believe?

post #14 of 45 Old 04-11-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
This thread is about finding a mooring in the LIS area. I have been sailing these waters up to Maine for decades... with a hiatus in the Caribbean for 4 yrs. When I began sailing I lived in lower Manahattan and drove a few hrs to the East end... and had moorings in Shelter Island (Dering Harbor), Greenport (Stirling Basin), Sag Harbor... and more recently in Northport which is a much shorter drive from home.

As I almost always spend the weekend or more on board I like to have a lovely place to call home. No slips in marinas...too ghetto for me.

What appealed to me about the locations I had moorings is that they had a feel of being removed from most signs of urbanism... no trains, no highways, few planes... and lovely destinations reachable in a day of sailing.

But there are problems in finding a mooring. Among them is getting to the moored boat. The dink needs a parking spot.. tie up to some dock where it is left for the week when we are away from the boat. People who rent moorings don't offer such amenities.

Northport offers rental moorings but the launch to get you to the boat for the season is something like $1,400 in addition to the mooring rental. The town offers no overnight tie ups for dinks. So though you can put in a mooring, you have no place for your dink... and no per trip launch available. And this means your coming and going is limited to the hours of service. The town and the harbor are wonderful!

I believe I can do Dering Harbor again... but the ride is quite long and so I am wondering if there is some place else... toward the east end which rents moorings with a dinghy tie up. It seems most harbors favor local residents and it makes it hard for others to keep their boats there.

Suggestions please!
Mt Siani?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #15 of 45 Old 04-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
This thread is about finding a mooring in the LIS area. I have been sailing these waters up to Maine for decades... with a hiatus in the Caribbean for 4 yrs. When I began sailing I lived in lower Manahattan and drove a few hrs to the East end... and had moorings in Shelter Island (Dering Harbor), Greenport (Stirling Basin), Sag Harbor... and more recently in Northport which is a much shorter drive from home.

As I almost always spend the weekend or more on board I like to have a lovely place to call home. No slips in marinas...too ghetto for me.

What appealed to me about the locations I had moorings is that they had a feel of being removed from most signs of urbanism... no trains, no highways, few planes... and lovely destinations reachable in a day of sailing.

But there are problems in finding a mooring. Among them is getting to the moored boat. The dink needs a parking spot.. tie up to some dock where it is left for the week when we are away from the boat. People who rent moorings don't offer such amenities.

Northport offers rental moorings but the launch to get you to the boat for the season is something like $1,400 in addition to the mooring rental. The town offers no overnight tie ups for dinks. So though you can put in a mooring, you have no place for your dink... and no per trip launch available. And this means your coming and going is limited to the hours of service. The town and the harbor are wonderful!

I believe I can do Dering Harbor again... but the ride is quite long and so I am wondering if there is some place else... toward the east end which rents moorings with a dinghy tie up. It seems most harbors favor local residents and it makes it hard for others to keep their boats there.

Suggestions please!
Have you tried negotiating for dinghy space at a local marina? I know of a live aboard couple who have rented a mooring in Mystic for years in season and paid a modest sum to use a local marina (not associated with their mooring) to park their dinghy when away from the mother ship.
post #16 of 45 Old 04-12-2019

Not knowing where home is, I'll ask if the CT coastline is an option. If you're close to the Whitestone/Throgsneck, they may not be any further. Admittedly, I never liked to need to go over a bridge in metro-NYC, when I lived there. However, if one lives anywhere on LI, dealing with traffic must be second nature.

It's been a long time, since my family kept it's boat in Western LIS, so I don't have the recall for the specifics you're looking for. My family also kept their boats exclusively on a "ghetto" slip, as you say. Something tells me that's not truly the reason you object to a slip.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 45 Old 04-12-2019 Thread Starter

Bridges are no longer bottlenecks as they removed the toll plazas. Home is southern Westchester and the drive to NPT which is where I have moored for a number of years is 1 hr 15 min drive. Only problem in NPT is a dinghy dock. There is one marina, not to be named, which is a horror for many reasons... I had a serious falling out with their management... not staff and I am a persona non grata! If the launch service were a pay go as opposed to a $1,400 season fee AND it ran latter in the evening I would consider that.... and I may be forced to if I stay there.

I may have the problem solved, but I don't know yet. Stay tuned.

Western end is not appealing as I don't care for the crowded sailing, few destinations, constant jets overhead. Fine for day sailing and racing I suppose.

CT shore is not friendly for a non resident non club member mooring with a dinghy dock. Putting a private mooring is usually not the problem... it's the dinghy dock and long term parking.

I can go to Shelter Island... as I did years ago. Very lovely for many reasons. But it's a heck of a drive never less than 2.5 hrs and always with the Hamptonian traffic.

post #18 of 45 Old 04-12-2019

I agree on western end. Way more likely to have yahoo, aggressive, don't know what they're doing but had the money to buy a boat anyway....... I digress.

That kind of commute time would take you out to at least New Haven, much further east than Northport. I'd have to take your word for the dinghy/mooring situation, but it's surprising. If you were willing to drive to Shelter, you could get to RI and I think 95 is a much easier drive, once you get past Stamford, maybe Bridgeport. Have you tried the Brewer yards? They are often pricey, but typically have amenities.

Yea, Hamptonian traffic is something I would avoid like an ebola outbreak. I know it well. The blue bloods drive. The nouveau riche take a helicopter from Manhattan (or their back yard). I know a guy that runs the company that does it. 10 grand round trip for the weekend. Crazy, even if you have the money, which the blue bloods understand.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 45 Old 04-12-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I agree on western end. Way more likely to have yahoo, aggressive, don't know what they're doing but had the money to buy a boat anyway....... I digress.

That kind of commute time would take you out to at least New Haven, much further east than Northport. I'd have to take your word for the dinghy/mooring situation, but it's surprising. If you were willing to drive to Shelter, you could get to RI and I think 95 is a much easier drive, once you get past Stamford, maybe Bridgeport. Have you tried the Brewer yards? They are often pricey, but typically have amenities.

Yea, Hamptonian traffic is something I would avoid like an ebola outbreak. I know it well. The blue bloods drive. The nouveau riche take a helicopter from Manhattan (or their back yard). I know a guy that runs the company that does it. 10 grand round trip for the weekend. Crazy, even if you have the money, which the blue bloods understand.
I have considered the east end CT shore... hard to find what works for me. Don't want to deal with RR bridges... and want some sort of commercial services within walking distance. Hard to beat NPT or Sag, Dering or GrnPT. The later 3 are LI drives of 2+ hrs. Doable but tiring! Settings are super. Newport nice to visit but not for a seasonal mooring. I may look into Huntington. NPT has a huge number of moored boats and very few resident only dinghy spots meaning you buy the seasonal launch, or launch your dink.. which is not an option. Driving longer to an optimal location is acceptable.

post #20 of 45 Old 04-12-2019

I used to work in Norwalk, and I agree advertised options are not cheap along CT.

I think with a more positive / can-do whatever it takes attitude, you can find a resident or business with a small dock and parking spot willing to make a deal.

Yes it's a challenge, likely take a lot of up-front creativity and leg work, but if the real goal is saving ongoing money, in that part of the world that's what it takes.
SanderO and Sal Paradise like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in