Summer Mooring Blues - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 Old 04-20-2019

Re: Summer Mooring Blues

I needed a way to transport my kayaks when I lived in an apartment here in CA (and drove a convertible.) The way I solved the problem was to buy a Yakima Rack and Roll trailer. The wheels and tongue come off and the frame can be either rolled or carried if you are reasonably strong. If you have an inflatable dinghy, you are all set.

In Maine I have an 8' Avon inflatable. Some summers I don't feel like paying the $300 fee the town where I keep my boat charges to tie up your dinghy for the season. I just throw it in the back of the Subaru and spend five minutes inflating it when I need to get out to my mooring.

You could, of course, just move to Maine and sail there, which is an order of magnitude more interesting than sailing on Long Island Sound!;^)
SanderO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 04-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory83 View Post
.....You could, of course, just move to Maine and sail there, which is an order of magnitude more interesting than sailing on Long Island Sound!;^)
It most certainly is, for about 8 weeks per year.
JimsCAL likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 45 Old 04-20-2019 Thread Starter

A possible Northport Option because there is no dinghy dock for non residents except for transient use.

I am considering a very inexpensive inflatable that I can fit in my small trunk... and row to get to a small mooring where my RIB could be left when we're not on the mother ship... close to the town dinghy launch ramp/location. Our mooring is almost a mile out so rowing to the boat is not an option... If it's windy a cheapie dink would be a wet ride and capacity is small as well. .... row to the close in moored RIB... tow it to the dock, load up the RIB then tow the cheapie to the RIB's mooring and leave it there until we return and head home. I can put in a small mooring near the town launching ramp... parking it not an issue.

Something like:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Bestway-Hydro...d=392212520037

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #24 of 45 Old 04-20-2019

As long as you see it as a consumable, may need frequent replacement.
SanderO likes this.
post #25 of 45 Old 04-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory83 View Post

You could, of course, just move to Maine and sail there, which is an order of magnitude more interesting than sailing on Long Island Sound!;^)
The eastern end of Long Island Sound (Fishers Island Sound) isnít so bad and neither is the rest of the coastal SE New England area. You can actually swim in this area for an order of magnitude longer than in Maine without suffering hypothermia. A MOB actually has a chance of being rescued alive if not in a wet suit.

You can actually cruise to areas with sandy beaches, like Long Island, Napatree Point, Block Island, Third Beach, Cape Cod and ďthe islandsĒ(Cutthyhunk, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket). And you wonít be lonely in any of the harbors in this venue.

P.S. You can actually enjoy the scenery instead of concentrating on dodging lobster gear. (Well, maybe there is the occasional fishing trawler or barge under tow.)
SanderO and Sal Paradise like this.
post #26 of 45 Old 04-20-2019 Thread Starter

Southern NE is lovely cruising grounds... but getting crowded and spendy...

++++

I could possibly leave a beached row boat and not deal with cheapie inflatables.

post #27 of 45 Old 04-20-2019

Well once you get past car-portability, have another look at Portabote.

Often used as the only dink, and would fit slid along the wall of a friendly garage, takes up what six inches width.
post #28 of 45 Old 04-20-2019

My boat was on the dock at Old Man's Boatyard in Mt. Sinai when I bought it and I spend a couple of months there working on it, before I brought it north. There was a dingy dock behind the main dock for people on moorings - that was in2014 but from the satellite image, it looks like it's still there. Not sure what their relationship is to the moorings but I found them super helpful, so it might be worth a call.
SanderO likes this.

"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle
post #29 of 45 Old 04-20-2019

I forgot to add - when looking at the satellite image, it looks like Mt. Sinai Marina and Mt. Sinai Yacht Club also have dinghy docks. Good luck.
SanderO likes this.

"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle
post #30 of 45 Old 04-20-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
I forgot to add - when looking at the satellite image, it looks like Mt. Sinai Marina and Mt. Sinai Yacht Club also have dinghy docks. Good luck.
The problem is getting permission to store/tie up typically. NPT is for Town of Huntington Residents only... and there's a long wait list.

I will try my 2 mooring approach with a cheapie inflatatable and see how that works... not optimal but "legal".

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in