Summer Mooring Blues - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Summer Mooring Blues

Hello

*IF* you can get a mooring in Mt. Sinai, you can get a dinghy spot in a rack on the beach for $10.

Mt. Sinai moorings are offered to Town of Brookhaven residents first, then non residents. I have no idea if there are any mooring spots left but it's worth a call.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello

*IF* you can get a mooring in Mt. Sinai, you can get a dinghy spot in a rack on the beach for $10.

Mt. Sinai moorings are offered to Town of Brookhaven residents first, then non residents. I have no idea if there are any mooring spots left but it's worth a call.

Barry
My dink is a 10' alum RIB with a 94 # 8HP OB... I can't get this onto a rack or drag it above the high water mark and then drag it in at low sometime and then board the dink. I need a floating dock.

My solution is simply to have a small close to the launching ramp/dock mooring I can row a few tens of yards to with a inexpensive inflatable that fits in my car.. or a old row boat that I can leave beached. This boat only will be used to go from the launching ramp/dock to the close mooring... The boat is about 1 mile out from there... hence my dink has large tubes, a large motor and is dry and fast. I could use a smaller / lighter motor, but there are times when it would be a long wet ride.

I can get a mooring and dinghy tie up out east but the car ride is 2x as long.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #33 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Do you just bail the dingy after it rains?

Are you going to lock it to the morning ball?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #34 of 45 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Do you just bail the dingy after it rains?

Are you going to lock it to the morning ball?

Everyone has to empty a dink full of water.

I have a Gusher mounted on the transom of the dink and I have to bail it or course. Rib has a bilge (2nd floor?) so small amounts of rain are not a problem. Yes... I lock the dink to the mooring.

post #35 of 45 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
A possible Northport Option because there is no dinghy dock for non residents except for transient use.

I am considering a very inexpensive inflatable that I can fit in my small trunk... and row to get to a small mooring where my RIB could be left when we're not on the mother ship... close to the town dinghy launch ramp/location. Our mooring is almost a mile out so rowing to the boat is not an option... If it's windy a cheapie dink would be a wet ride and capacity is small as well. .... row to the close in moored RIB... tow it to the dock, load up the RIB then tow the cheapie to the RIB's mooring and leave it there until we return and head home. I can put in a small mooring near the town launching ramp... parking it not an issue.

Something like:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Bestway-Hydro...d=392212520037
I am on record saying that I think this not a great solution. I think the dingy to dingy transfer is just one of the problems. Time, storage, putting a stinky dingy that has been floating around Northport in your trunk. Lots of negatives. If you put Shiva in Northport, just pay Seymour's for the launch service. As for a smaller (50lb )outboard engine, it will only take an extra minute to get out to your boat but if someday you hurt your back lifting your (100lb) engine, that might be the end of your sailing season.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:28 PM.
post #36 of 45 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I am on record saying that I think this not a great solution. I think the dingy to dingy transfer is just one of the problems. Time, storage, putting a stinky dingy that has been floating around Northport in your trunk. Lots of negatives. If you put Shiva in Northport, just pay Seymour's for the launch service. As for a smaller (50lb )outboard engine, it will only take an extra minute to get out to your boat but if someday you hurt your back lifting your (100lb) engine, that might be the end of your sailing season.
Sal I will likely go for the simplest solution... Just pay for the launch service... keep my dink and motor at the mother ship and use the town transient dock... the way I use their visitors dock (which is free) for the mother ship when I board or take on water. The transfer works but it too much work!

No need to change to a smaller OB... I can use the hoist which is no problem to put the OB on the rail.

post #37 of 45 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
The eastern end of Long Island Sound (Fishers Island Sound) isn’t so bad and neither is the rest of the coastal SE New England area. You can actually swim in this area for an order of magnitude longer than in Maine without suffering hypothermia. A MOB actually has a chance of being rescued alive if not in a wet suit.

You can actually cruise to areas with sandy beaches, like Long Island, Napatree Point, Block Island, Third Beach, Cape Cod and “the islands”(Cutthyhunk, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket). And you won’t be lonely in any of the harbors in this venue.

P.S. You can actually enjoy the scenery instead of concentrating on dodging lobster gear. (Well, maybe there is the occasional fishing trawler or barge under tow.)
Thanks, I grew up in NYC and sailed LIS with my dad out of Branford CT for many, many years. We sailed from Branford to MDI, Halifax NS. and Bermuda, so I have been to Fisher's Island, Block Island, Shelter Island, Gardner's island, Cuttyhunk, Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard, Provincetown, Montauk even up the CT river etc. multiple times. I then spent 20 years exploring the coast of Maine in my own boats. My comparison is not based on ignorance of LIS.
post #38 of 45 Old 3 Weeks Ago
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

I'll recommend Thames Yacht Club in New London. Around $1000.00 initiation and the same for yearly dues. You own your mooring (about $1500. if you do the install with club equipment) needs inspection every 2 years, diver available at club. There is dinghy storage available but there is also a launch service available for free. The club is a very friendly, low key, working man's type club with a great beach, showers, simple food service, and moorings at Block and Fishers, and no bridges. The club does have a very active racing program if that interests you. New London has lots going on, and the train runs there if you don't want to drive, Defenders is very close by, as well as several marinas with parts and services. You are in the east end of LIS with easy access to all the best cruising to NY, CT, and RI, as well as a quick jump to the Cape and Islands, Newport, and Northern waters. Come check it out for yourself.
SanderO and Sal Paradise like this.
post #39 of 45 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
I'll recommend Thames Yacht Club in New London. Around $1000.00 initiation and the same for yearly dues. You own your mooring (about $1500. if you do the install with club equipment) needs inspection every 2 years, diver available at club. There is dinghy storage available but there is also a launch service available for free. The club is a very friendly, low key, working man's type club with a great beach, showers, simple food service, and moorings at Block and Fishers, and no bridges. The club does have a very active racing program if that interests you. New London has lots going on, and the train runs there if you don't want to drive, Defenders is very close by, as well as several marinas with parts and services. You are in the east end of LIS with easy access to all the best cruising to NY, CT, and RI, as well as a quick jump to the Cape and Islands, Newport, and Northern waters. Come check it out for yourself.
Sounds very interesting... I will give it a look but the setting has to be a place we would want to spend a weekend or more on the mooring... little traffic... wakes, train and motorcycle noise... and light pollution.

post #40 of 45 Old 3 Weeks Ago
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

The Thames is a busy river with ferries, subs, fishing boats, etc. After 9PM it's quiet, but for the weekend or any length of stay you'll want to be at anchor in a quiet spot of which there are many a short sail/motor away.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in