How nice is it to have a slip in your neighborhood - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter

How nice is it to have a slip in your neighborhood

I'm looking into some neighborhoods to potentially move to and am considering several that have little community docks with slips. I'm wondering how great people think it is to have a slip in your neighborhood like that. Obviously the drive to the boat would be shorter, and it would likely be significantly less expensive, but I'm thinking a nearby marina may offer more services like fresh water, a yard, haul outs, showers, fuel dock, etc that may make you want to use a local marina anyway even if you had a neighborhood slip. I don't own a boat now but it would be nice in the future so wondering if I should weigh this in my next house decision or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-16-2019

If she gets really pissed off you can just walk to your doghouse ...with steak and cooler in hand
paulk, Minnesail and mrWinter like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-16-2019

Re: How nice is it to have a slip in your neighborhood

I keep my little boat on a mooring on a little local lake, two miles from my house. Itís a very small lake, so Iíve thought about getting a slip at a marina on bigger water.

But having it so close is just so nice! I can swing by on my bike before or after work for a quick sail, or even just to hang out on the boat.

If we have an event on the weekend but end up with an extra hour or two beforehand we can go to the boat to kill the time.

And of course being so close to the house itís no big deal if you forget something.

Iím on my boat 3-4 days a week. I wouldnít use it half that much if I had to drive a couple hours to get to it.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
mrWinter (4 Weeks Ago)

post #4 of 17 Old 04-16-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

What's a "community" dock? Owned and maintained and rules made by the municipality?
Or something run by the fascists of a Home Owners Association? (HOA)

Going forward it could make all the difference in the world.

A marina with good management may beat them both, at a price.
zeehag likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
mrWinter (4 Weeks Ago)
post #5 of 17 Old 04-16-2019

We really lucked out when we retired , we moved to this place called Leisure World , Seal Beach Ca. It's one mile from a real nice marina , Alamitos Bay , Long Beach Ca. and that is where we have our boat . Anyhow LW is a interesting place when you decide you want to move in , you buy a place out rite for about 150 K we bought ours for 120K but that was 10yrs. ago . You have to have some liquid money (stocks count) in a account and that's about it . Our place is a 2 bedroom , there are 1 bedrooms for less . There is a HOA and it's about 400 a mo.
Now if you have a little more cash you can buy a house on Naples Island , Ca. (it's in Alamitos Bay) and it will come with a slip . Or for a little less cash you can get a condo in Spinnaker Bay Ca. (also in Alomitos Bay) it will come with a slip also .
I have never heard of a place that has a community dock , where is such a thing ?

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
The Following User Says Thank You to Markwesti For This Useful Post:
mrWinter (4 Weeks Ago)
post #6 of 17 Old 04-16-2019

In BC the federal govt built docks and floats at nearly every harbour even places with no town just road access . Most of the towns have taken local control and management .by ' Harbour Authority' Some are divided into Commercial (fishing) and private (everything else) Some have limits on livaboards. Since I've started sailing rates have gone from a low of $02 /ft/month ,no service to up to $12/ft /month or more with WiFi. At those prices privately owned marinas can proliferate. It's hard to live more than a few miles from a good marina with a waiting list.
Minnesail likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Len For This Useful Post:
mrWinter (4 Weeks Ago)
post #7 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Slip in the neighborhood would be awesome, provided that the distance to where you wanted to sail was not way further(i.e. how far from the harbor down a canal is it?). I think the only amenity that is really critical is electric power. Can move the boat for things like haulouts.
The Following User Says Thank You to danvon For This Useful Post:
mrWinter (4 Weeks Ago)
post #8 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

We keep our boat at a small community yacht club that I have been a member of for 25 years. Our house was about 15min drive from the club, but 10 years ago we bought a home much closer, so now we are walking distance from the boat, and I love it! Being so close to the boat means I can go down to do little projects any time, and it's no big deal if I forget something or need more tools. It also means we spend more time down at the boat, even if we don't actually leave the dock. In the summer the swimming is good, and there is a bit of a social scene on the docks on sunny days. It also allows me to check on the boat more frequently during storms over the winter.

We also belong to a much bigger yacht club with bigger, better docks and more amenities including multiple restaurant options. We could get mooreage there, but that would mean a 40 minute drive to get to the boat, (and higher mooreage fees).

We are much happier being close to the boat!

Just a few blocks down the road from us there are waterfront properties that have their own docks. That would be a dream come true for me, but those places go for over $10 million, so that's never going to happen!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
The Following User Says Thank You to SchockT For This Useful Post:
mrWinter (4 Weeks Ago)
post #9 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Interesting thread idea.

Shock points out some benefits.

For us we want to live close to the cultural features/events in NYC. But the sailing around the city in my opinions is far from desirable. This means we need to homeport our boat where the sailing and destinations are appealing and reachable over a weekend sail. In addition, our boat represents... or should represent... a complete change of environment. Each trip to the boat and sailing or hang on the boat is a mini vacation (stacation???) because our boat is also our second home. We live in a dense area for a main residence so we don't want density for our second home. This means no marinas and DOES mean a mooring. But then the matter is the qualities of the harbor, the available services, parking and amenities... and the size and density of the mooring field. Density again means traffic, noise wakes.. things which we want to avoid most of the time. We do sail to places like Newport on occasion, but suffer the downsides because of what it has to offer which appeals to us.

People who have a beach home or a weekend home also drive a bit to their 2nd home. No one would consider a second home 20 minutes away... The time to "get there" is what you pay for the benefit of a new/changed environment. NYers travel 2-3 hrs to get to the Hamptons or Jersy Shore or the Catskills. That's pushing past acceptable for us. But the further we get from NYC... the more pleasing the 2nd home environment is. Someone who lives is rural areas might not want or need to travel far for a location for their boat.... but they might want a pied a terre in the city! The further you get from a big city... the better the sailing seems to be. (maybe).

Winter storage... proximity rules. Who wants to drive for hrs just to check on the boat or do some winter project?

Now if you are into day sailing and club racing.. the calculus is completely different. Proximity rules.
chef2sail likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
mrWinter (4 Weeks Ago)
post #10 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for all the thoughts and replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I wouldn’t use it half that much if I had to drive a couple hours to get to it.
I'd probably be driving 20 minutes to get to a nearby marina as opposed to 2 or a bike ride if it were in my community, so the two hour drive fortunately isn't the alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
What's a "community" dock? Owned and maintained and rules made by the municipality?
Or something run by the fascists of a Home Owners Association? (HOA)
Fascists of a HOA in this case I believe, if I understand the setup it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
I have never heard of a place that has a community dock , where is such a thing ?
In the Annapolis area, there are lots of communities that have a shared park on the water with kayak storage and boat ramp and playground etc, some have sand beach, some have slips.

Like I said I don't own now, but this is all helpful for consideration in the future. I might stick to chartering for cruising until I retire, and just get a sunfish or hobie between now and then, but if there's a slip a short bike ride from my house beckoning to me all the time I might not be able to resist. Maybe I shouldn't move into such a neighborhood, could save me the cost of having to buy a boat.
Markwesti likes this.

Last edited by mrWinter; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in