Babies on Board - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 04-22-2019

Re: Babies on Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Here I have to disagree with you.
We took a three day old aboard and she grew up doing a circumnavigation under sail and a couple of TransAts and some really interesting side trips up the Orinoco and Amazon rives as well.
She grew up to be a pretty cool person.
Whereas you have everything from "stranger danger' to terrorists, crazies and vehicular traffic, (to mention just a few of the dangers your children face every day) to shield your child from, we had only ONE!
STAY ON BOARD. Nothing else. No colds or flue from the other kids in school, no broken bones or psyche over sports, etc.
It may actually be a very safe and healthy way to raise a child if you consider how nuts it is to live in society, such as it is, these days.
I think you misunderstood, I didn't say it's not safe, or bad for the child (might be less so as you say). Just a bigger PIA during the "terrible twos" or thereabouts due to being on a boat. (But I don't consider "society these days" nuts either, I have no fear of strangers or terrorists..)

It was just an observation, not really interested in arguing it since I've seen how hostile and demeaning the liveaboard community is to us landlubbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 04-22-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
I think you misunderstood, I didn't say it's not safe, or bad for the child (might be less so as you say). Just a bigger PIA during the "terrible twos" or thereabouts due to being on a boat. (But I don't consider "society these days" nuts either, I have no fear of strangers or terrorists..)

It was just an observation, not really interested in arguing it since I've seen how hostile and demeaning the liveaboard community is to us landlubbers.
I'm pretty sure if you aren't educating your children to "stranger danger" the department of social services hasn't heard about it yet, or you might be in an insane struggle with the state.
The conversation was about the dangers to children in modern society, not what you are afraid of. After 9/11, Columbine, Sandy Hook and the incident in the movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, many children are having trouble feeling safe, even in their own homes and schools. Do you not have a split second of hesitation when someone mentions going out to a movie?
To me, that's society amock.
Sorry if you feel hostility and a demeaning attitude from me. It was unintended. I'm just laying out the facts about raising kids on a boat, as I see them, pretty much from experience.
mbianka likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 25 Old 04-22-2019

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if you aren't educating your children to "stranger danger" the department of social services hasn't heard about it yet, or you might be in an insane struggle with the state.
Uhm, no? not really.. I guess "don't get into a van", but not really a major concern in any way. I have never, and never heard of anyone, having any interaction with social services

Quote:
The conversation was about the dangers to children in modern society, not what you are afraid of. After 9/11, Columbine, Sandy Hook and the incident in the movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, many children are having trouble feeling safe, even in their own homes and schools. Do you not have a split second of hesitation when someone mentions going out to a movie?
To me, that's society amock.
What dangers to children in modern society? Children in the west today are safer than any person anytime in the history of our species! Heck, they're much safer now than when I grew up 30 years ago. Do you consider the 70-80s to have be even less safe then? If today is bad I don't understand how anyone grew up in the 1950s! No, I have no hesitations about going out anywhere particular. Yes sometimes even after dark *gasp!

If you have so many fears of statistically insignificant events, and skewed view of "land living", it's probably a good thing you live on a boat.

Quote:
Sorry if you feel hostility and a demeaning attitude from me. It was unintended. I'm just laying out the facts about raising kids on a boat, as I see them, pretty much from experience.
well at least is was only unintentional.. Yes this seems to be the normal view of cruisers to look down on anyone who don't make that choice as the only sane one, I see it constantly. It comes off as desperate; it's not enough to say that you enjoy living on a boat (totally fair), but also have to say how awful (land) society is and anyone living there is unhappy/crazy/in danger or whatever. If I'm ever lucky enough and get the opportunity to go cruising I don't look forward to meeting people with these views. Hopefully they're too scared of strangers to talk to me..

ps: this is way off topic. Apologize to OP.

post #14 of 25 Old 04-22-2019

Speaking of babies on boats remember the saga of Rebel Heart?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 25 Old 04-22-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Speaking of babies on boats remember the saga of Rebel Heart?
rl]
That's a very good video report on the bare bones of that situation.

The resources put in by the US was amazing! Don't expect that anywhere else in the world.

As for the utter tenacity of men jumping out of a plane 1,000nms off the coast stageers me. Bravo! I said it then and I doff my lid now, Bravo!
mbianka and Arcb like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #16 of 25 Old 04-22-2019

Sailing heck, how about being a professional mountain guide and having twins?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BukrZCLhNA8/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv4TXxWBEVR

Teresa of morsealpha.com/ and One Simple Question also just had a baby but I don't know what their plans are come cruising season. They are still offering their 2019 expeditions though...

Sigh... Seems there is no way to embed Instagram images in Sailnet

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Last edited by MacBlaze; 04-22-2019 at 06:09 PM.
post #17 of 25 Old 04-22-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium;205159756If you have so many fears of statistically insignificant events, and skewed view of "land living", it's probably a good thing you live on a boat.
[B
Again you missed it. We aren't talking about adult fears, but the responsibility of raising a child and the differences between doing so on a boat and not.[/B]

Yes, this seems to be the normal view of cruisers to look down on anyone who doesn't make that choice as the only sane one, I see it constantly.
Where exactly do you see it constantly? Almost every cruiser I've met or talked to lived ashore for the vast majority of their lives and a good number of those intend to return. I think you aren't seeing things very clearly.
But I don't know you, your situation or dreams. Perhaps we should share a few beverages before we cast the other as one thing or another.
Having raised one kid within society and another sailing, it is my opinion that parenting is a much more difficult job to do ashore, or within society.
wymbly1971 likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #18 of 25 Old 04-22-2019

A lot of what capta makes sense.
These days kids are growing up online...and its much trash juvenile info...moving very fast.
What kind of life do you plan for your child...kinda decision.
Lose the basics and youve lost control.
post #19 of 25 Old 04-22-2019
Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
While the baby thing isn’t really the attraction for me, I’ll bet it draws more viewers.
Viewers? Sailing is getting a paltry sum.....

This guy's channel is called deermeatfordinner.........

https://www.youtube.com/user/deermeatfordinner

Has three or four times the subscribers as any of the "leading" youtube "sailors".
post #20 of 25 Old 04-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

As for the utter tenacity of men jumping out of a plane 1,000nms off the coast stageers me.
Big Huevos.
mbianka likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in