SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Babies on Board (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/329282-babies-board.html)

Minnewaska 04-19-2019 04:27 PM

Babies on Board

The two most popular sailing channels on YouTube are both now having babies aboard.

Sailing LaVagabond got the ball rolling and theyíve been cruising for months now, with their new born. I lost interest in that channel, but admit I was curious how a newborn might change their experience, so have watched a few minutes of random episodes.

Now SV Delos announced that Karen is pregnant and due this summer. They said theyíre planning to come back to Delos, once the baby is a few months old, but were hedging their bet on what future cruising might be.

While the baby thing isnít really the attraction for me, Iíll bet it draws more viewers.

capta 04-19-2019 06:18 PM

Re: Babies on Board

We set sail from Honolulu just a few days after the wife and baby got out of the hospital. Within 3 months she was crossing from Hawaii to Tahiti on a 1909 gaff ketch.
If done right, it can be a very positive experience for the child, but I believe the camera thing and the notoriety of that lifestyle are likely to turn the kid into a freak. I know my daughter wouldn't have wanted her life documented on film as she grew up on a sailboat doing a circumnavigation. A few pictures here and there is one thing, but nearly constant filming? That's just sick for adults to do to themselves, but bringing a child into the mix might be criminal.

Minnewaska 04-20-2019 06:11 AM

Definitely a fine line between documenting what itís like to raise a baby, while cruising, and exploiting the baby for Patreon.

SanderO 04-20-2019 09:30 PM

Not a great idea to do this to a child... filming and publishing their life... on a boat or on dirt. Of course taking pics constantly is the new normal... and privacy is out the window.

Not only is big brother watching you and your children.... but all manner of jerks are. Who wants or needs that? Oh I forgot... it can be monetized...

mbianka 04-22-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051597102)
Definitely a fine line between documenting what itís like to raise a baby, while cruising, and exploiting the baby for Patreon.

I like Sailing Britaly. Jeff seems to do more How To videos with only an occasional shot of their happy baby Emma. https://youtu.be/qKpr1nMTt6A. I find the channel much more interesting than La Vagabond. Because I often learn something other than how stressed the La Vagabond gal is. It will be interesting to see what happens on Delos once Bryan and Kazza's baby gets back on board.

Oh my recent road trip to Key West I stayed at two hotels with marina's attached. One morning I met a young woman getting off a boat to walk the dog. I asked if they were cruisers she said yes newbies. They bought the boat last year and were just taking slow steps to learn the boat and see how their kid adapts before heading out. I asked if they thought about doing a You Tube channel. She said "Oh no" we want to make our mistakes in private not broadcast them to the world. Sounds like a healthier way to go. Concentrating on sailing and the kids and not worrying about editing the next video.

MarkofSeaLife 04-22-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanderO (Post 2051597278)
Not a great idea to do this to a child... filming and publishing their life... on a boat or on dirt. Of course taking pics constantly is the new normal... and privacy is out the window.

Oh, what piffle!!!!!!!!! If your child is not a star by 5 years old you have failed as a parent.

MarkofSeaLife 04-22-2019 12:40 PM

Check out this webiste for celebrity birthdays at 5 years old.

https://www.famousbirthdays.com/age/5.html

Example:
Emily Tube
YOUTUBE STAR
BIRTHDAY
October 18, 2013
BIRTHPLACE
England

Star of the education kids channel Emily Tube which includes videos featuring toys and fun activities. The channel has accrued an incredible 9 million subscribers.

Before Fame
Her channel was created in November of 2014.

Trivia
Her YouTube channel surpassed 1 billion views in November of 2016.

I love the "Before Fame" :grin :grin :grin

Don0190 04-22-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2051597534)
Oh, what piffle!!!!!!!!! If your child is not a star by 5 years old you have failed as a parent.

the new normal of aging is that you reach your peak at 4 when fully potty trained, it's all downhill after that

Scandium 04-22-2019 01:32 PM

Having done the baby thing twice (though on land) it doesn't seem like that big a deal having a infant/baby on a boat. Perhaps outside some emergencies. The real problem starts around 1 year old, to perhaps 3-4! A toddler than can crawl, then run, jump, climb. And is incredibly stubborn and challenging limits/parents at every turn, for inexplicable reasons (my daughter love cookies, but say no to them if offered, because default is always "no!"). I know people have, but I would not want to do that. And as with everything one was easy, 2nd exponentially worse..

capta 04-22-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scandium (Post 2051597550)
Having done the baby thing twice (though on land) it doesn't seem like that big a deal having a infant/baby on a boat. Perhaps outside some emergencies. The real problem starts around 1 year old, to perhaps 3-4! A toddler than can crawl, then run, jump, climb. And is incredibly stubborn and challenging limits/parents at every turn, for inexplicable reasons (my daughter love cookies, but say no to them if offered, because default is always "no!"). I know people have, but I would not want to do that. And as with everything one was easy, 2nd exponentially worse..

Here I have to disagree with you.
We took a three day old aboard and she grew up doing a circumnavigation under sail and a couple of TransAts and some really interesting side trips up the Orinoco and Amazon rives as well.
She grew up to be a pretty cool person.
Whereas you have everything from "stranger danger' to terrorists, crazies and vehicular traffic, (to mention just a few of the dangers your children face every day) to shield your child from, we had only ONE!
STAY ON BOARD. Nothing else. No colds or flue from the other kids in school, no broken bones or psyche over sports, etc.
It may actually be a very safe and healthy way to raise a child if you consider how nuts it is to live in society, such as it is, these days.