Babies on Board - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Babies on Board

The two most popular sailing channels on YouTube are both now having babies aboard.

Sailing LaVagabond got the ball rolling and they’ve been cruising for months now, with their new born. I lost interest in that channel, but admit I was curious how a newborn might change their experience, so have watched a few minutes of random episodes.

Now SV Delos announced that Karen is pregnant and due this summer. They said they’re planning to come back to Delos, once the baby is a few months old, but were hedging their bet on what future cruising might be.

While the baby thing isn’t really the attraction for me, I’ll bet it draws more viewers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Babies on Board

We set sail from Honolulu just a few days after the wife and baby got out of the hospital. Within 3 months she was crossing from Hawaii to Tahiti on a 1909 gaff ketch.
If done right, it can be a very positive experience for the child, but I believe the camera thing and the notoriety of that lifestyle are likely to turn the kid into a freak. I know my daughter wouldn't have wanted her life documented on film as she grew up on a sailboat doing a circumnavigation. A few pictures here and there is one thing, but nearly constant filming? That's just sick for adults to do to themselves, but bringing a child into the mix might be criminal.
mbianka and wymbly1971 like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Definitely a fine line between documenting what it’s like to raise a baby, while cruising, and exploiting the baby for Patreon.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Not a great idea to do this to a child... filming and publishing their life... on a boat or on dirt. Of course taking pics constantly is the new normal... and privacy is out the window.

Not only is big brother watching you and your children.... but all manner of jerks are. Who wants or needs that? Oh I forgot... it can be monetized...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #5 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Definitely a fine line between documenting what it’s like to raise a baby, while cruising, and exploiting the baby for Patreon.
I like Sailing Britaly. Jeff seems to do more How To videos with only an occasional shot of their happy baby Emma. https://youtu.be/qKpr1nMTt6A. I find the channel much more interesting than La Vagabond. Because I often learn something other than how stressed the La Vagabond gal is. It will be interesting to see what happens on Delos once Bryan and Kazza's baby gets back on board.

Oh my recent road trip to Key West I stayed at two hotels with marina's attached. One morning I met a young woman getting off a boat to walk the dog. I asked if they were cruisers she said yes newbies. They bought the boat last year and were just taking slow steps to learn the boat and see how their kid adapts before heading out. I asked if they thought about doing a You Tube channel. She said "Oh no" we want to make our mistakes in private not broadcast them to the world. Sounds like a healthier way to go. Concentrating on sailing and the kids and not worrying about editing the next video.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #6 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Not a great idea to do this to a child... filming and publishing their life... on a boat or on dirt. Of course taking pics constantly is the new normal... and privacy is out the window.

Oh, what piffle!!!!!!!!! If your child is not a star by 5 years old you have failed as a parent.

SanderO, Don0190, mbianka and 1 others like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Check out this webiste for celebrity birthdays at 5 years old.

https://www.famousbirthdays.com/age/5.html

Example:
Emily Tube
YOUTUBE STAR
BIRTHDAY
October 18, 2013
BIRTHPLACE
England

Star of the education kids channel Emily Tube which includes videos featuring toys and fun activities. The channel has accrued an incredible 9 million subscribers.

Before Fame
Her channel was created in November of 2014.

Trivia
Her YouTube channel surpassed 1 billion views in November of 2016.

I love the "Before Fame"

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:44 PM.
post #8 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Oh, what piffle!!!!!!!!! If your child is not a star by 5 years old you have failed as a parent.

the new normal of aging is that you reach your peak at 4 when fully potty trained, it's all downhill after that
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #9 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Having done the baby thing twice (though on land) it doesn't seem like that big a deal having a infant/baby on a boat. Perhaps outside some emergencies. The real problem starts around 1 year old, to perhaps 3-4! A toddler than can crawl, then run, jump, climb. And is incredibly stubborn and challenging limits/parents at every turn, for inexplicable reasons (my daughter love cookies, but say no to them if offered, because default is always "no!"). I know people have, but I would not want to do that. And as with everything one was easy, 2nd exponentially worse..
post #10 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
Having done the baby thing twice (though on land) it doesn't seem like that big a deal having a infant/baby on a boat. Perhaps outside some emergencies. The real problem starts around 1 year old, to perhaps 3-4! A toddler than can crawl, then run, jump, climb. And is incredibly stubborn and challenging limits/parents at every turn, for inexplicable reasons (my daughter love cookies, but say no to them if offered, because default is always "no!"). I know people have, but I would not want to do that. And as with everything one was easy, 2nd exponentially worse..
Here I have to disagree with you.
We took a three day old aboard and she grew up doing a circumnavigation under sail and a couple of TransAts and some really interesting side trips up the Orinoco and Amazon rives as well.
She grew up to be a pretty cool person.
Whereas you have everything from "stranger danger' to terrorists, crazies and vehicular traffic, (to mention just a few of the dangers your children face every day) to shield your child from, we had only ONE!
STAY ON BOARD. Nothing else. No colds or flue from the other kids in school, no broken bones or psyche over sports, etc.
It may actually be a very safe and healthy way to raise a child if you consider how nuts it is to live in society, such as it is, these days.
MarkofSeaLife and wymbly1971 like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in